20 Gallon Long Starter Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gallon Long Starter Tank

Hi Planted Tank!

This is my first posting after several months of reading/researching all the great info out there on this forum. This is not my first ever planted tank but probably the first one I've taken seriously (injected C02, better lights, fertilizers, etc).

I am shooting for medium tech with this aquarium. I wanted this to be my practice tank with CO2, and fertilizer dosing regime before I finish setting up my 46 gallon bowfront. I acquired most of this tank's components off of craigslist (yay craigslist!) for a very good deal. The original aquarium was a 29 gallon. I decided to switch over to a 20 long for easier maintenance. I am happy I did, I really enjoy the dimensions of the 20L. I am still very much a newbie, hoping to learn more as I continue in the planted tank hobby.

Specs on the tank setup:

Filter
-Ehiem 2215

Light
-Catalina 30 INCH 2 X 24 WATT T5HO

CO2
-Milwaukee regulator
-Cheapie needle valve
-Ceramic diffuser

Substrate
-Eco Complete capped with sand

Flora
-Anubias Barteri Var. Nana
-Anubias Barteri Var. Nana 'Petite'
-Blyxa japonica
-Cryptocoryne undulata
-Ludwigia repens
-Microsorum pteropus
-Rotala potundifolia
-Vesicularia montagnei

Fauna
-4 Harlequin Rasbora
-9 Cardinal Tetras
-2 Otocinclus
-5 Corydoras sterbai
-2 Armano shrimp

Tank two weeks ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3037.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	230058

Sterbai cory

Name:	IMG_2978.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	230050

Most Recent Tank Shot

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	230042

More to come soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Nice.. I'm going medium too in my long tank... Barely started though..... Can't figure what plants are medium light

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice.. I'm going medium too in my long tank... Barely started though..... Can't figure what plants are medium light
Most of the plants in the tank I acquired when I bought the old 29 gallon. Most of which are fairly easy plants. At least it gives the tank a more planted to look as I slowly switch to other plants.

The few I have picked out are the crypt, the rotala, and the red plant which I believe is Nesaea sp. 'red' (any other i.d.s?). Apparently the red plant is very difficult, it is growing for me, but slowly. I read it will start having issues after several months... We will see.

Anyways I really like the APC plant finder for plant info. It is fairly complete but misses a plants here and there.http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...finder/all.php

I am hoping as time goes on I will acquire some more medium-difficulty plants like Staurogyne, Pogostemon Helferi, Hydrocotyle 'japan'. These are all plants I'm interested in planting in the 46 gallon.

Good luck with your 20long!

Last edited by utopiatalks; 11-04-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: add quote

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Long over due update with lots of photos!

Hi Planted Tank community! Its been a long while since I updated. I got busy with graduating from college .

Since the last update I have added a Current Satellite Freshwater Plus light, and really love it. I found myself needing the extra light for more red on my rotala macrandra narrow leaf. It has helped so much! The light really is sturdy and well made. I was concerned about it only being 24" but it does have great coverage. I can't wait to get another, and get rid of my T5.

I also acquired my very first betta. I think he had a little trouble adapting to big tank life but now is out and about all the time. I also added a red dwarf lilly.

I also found out that what I thought was blyxa japonica is not at all, I think it is helanthium tenellum. I was wondering why it was turning red on the tips...

After a slow start everything is growing very well except for my crypt which has never recovered from planting. Im hoping some new root tabs may help it out. I fertilize twice a week. I also preform a weekly 25% water change.

If anyone has any advise about the crypt I would love to hear them! I was also curious if anyone has any suggestions on a new heater thats a little less obvious. Thanks for reading.

(Sorry for some of the bad shots, old phone)

Late Nov.

Name:	IMG_4749.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	273634

Early Dec. before Current light

Name:	IMG_4771.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	273642

Returning to an overgrown tank after from vacation in Jan. After adding light.

Name:	IMG_5189.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	273650

Name:	IMG_5199.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	273658

Today after a big trim.

Name:	IMG_5346.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	273666

Mr. Betta

Name:	IMG_5350.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	273674

Only the current on (the back is dark because I have a cover on the tank, still very impressed with the light.)

Name:	IMG_5356.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	273682

The sad crypt

Name:	IMG_5355.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	273698

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.”
― Salvador Dalí
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Update

A couple new plants have been added to the mix.

Luwidiga 'red' which I am assuming is a hybrid of some sort. This plant isn't luwidga repens and has been staying very red, much to my satisfaction.

Two stems of Pogostemon helferi downoi. I think I need to trim them but will have to look up how to do propagate them.

And finally I bought some stems of Rotala Vietnam. I can not keep up with the growth rate on this plant; it is an insanely fast grower in my tank.

So far everything seems to be going quite well. I do notice how quickly my plants suffer if I am not super consistent with my dosing schedule. Algae issues mostly if I'm not consistent.

I still preform a water change with RO water once every week to two weeks at most.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6394.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	332361  

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.”
― Salvador Dalí
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiatalks View Post
A couple new plants have been added to the mix.

Luwidiga 'red' which I am assuming is a hybrid of some sort. This plant isn't luwidga repens and has been staying very red, much to my satisfaction.

Two stems of Pogostemon helferi downoi. I think I need to trim them but will have to look up how to do propagate them.

And finally I bought some stems of Rotala Vietnam. I can not keep up with the growth rate on this plant; it is an insanely fast grower in my tank.

So far everything seems to be going quite well. I do notice how quickly my plants suffer if I am not super consistent with my dosing schedule. Algae issues mostly if I'm not consistent.

I still preform a water change with RO water once every week to two weeks at most.

Thanks for looking.
The reds definitely added a "oomph" to the tank. I like the way you've moved the anubias over, they're actually really cool plants, and even though I don't have many of them, I think they're a favorite considering how easy they are to tend to.

Software Developer~ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
20long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode