4x2x2 update - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
4x2x2 update

It's been almost a year since my last post and stripping down two of my planted tanks to combine them all into just the one 4'x2'x2' 105g, so I thought I'd post an update of how it turned out.

For those who recall, I decided to strip the two smaller tanks down,

this 2'x2':

and this 4' foot 48g:

and combine as many of the best bits and pieces and plants with and into this 4'x2'x2' (shown here with the original aquascaping which I later changed):

Last edited by awrieger; 10-14-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

And this is the result in August 2006, two days after initial setup. I lost a few plants as they had an extended stay in a dark bucket for almost a week, so all of these plants in the tank are still basically recovering from the trauma. I could only take a picture of the left side of the tank as I had a 2' goldfish tank on my desk blocking the view of the right side.

It all grew well, but I let it go a bit and it turned into an absolute jungle, with 7 large Amazons putting out hundreds of runners, I couldn't see the fish! So two months ago I did a big rescape of the rear area and removed five of the Amazons, leaving only two now.

And this is it yesterday. The Anubias growing well enough that they're obsuring all the hardscape and pot almost completely now. There are over 120 piscine inhabitants, including 20+ Cardinals (all those little babies in that 2nd pic are now all grown up), 20+ Rummies, 20+ Glass Catfish, 20+ Cories (Sterbae, Bronze and Panda), 10+ Black Neons, 8 Silver Tips and 30+ Harlequins.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

PS. This tank is viewable from both sides, so I'm in the process of scaping the rear view, whereas before I had it scaped to be viewed mainly only from this side. There are some stem plants there temporarily to fill up the space while the crypts etc grow in.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Very simple, but gorgeous! By simple I mean on the plant selection. I love the tanks

I like the last pic on the first post the most forsome reason.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like them as well. Very nice!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Planted Member

I love your scapes, they are very simple looking and "clean cut"
Nice job!

10 gallon.
20 gallon long low light garden.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Petey, jebarj and Rodney. I liked the simplicity of scaping with only two types of plants in that photo too. As you can probably tell, my favourite plant of all was dwarf hairgrass, but unfortunately the chronic hair algae issues that comes with it was too much of a nuisance. So now it's dwarf anubias!

I prefer to just keep to rooted plant varieties rather than any stem plants (the ones there now are just temporary), so the tank doesn't need as much maintenance and trimming. Apart from the recent rear re-scaping, I haven't touched any of those plants you can see there at all for 10 months.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wish I lived in your area, your anubias are immaculate!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Gorgeus, that big anubias is breathtaking!

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Petey, you can't tell from the photo but some of the older anubia leaves have a layer of diatoms on them from when I let the tank go for a while and got lazy with the ferts. But the ramshorn snails are slowly clearing it all, and the newer leaves are all nice and pristine now I'm on top of the ferts regimen again.

Thanks Devin! I'm really pleased with its growth. Maybe because its higher position means it gets more light. From farthest leaftip to leaftip, it's about 2 feet wide. And it's gone from a single branch to about eight or ten now, so I could break it into a bunch of individual plants (if I actually had the space to do that).
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

I should mention the details.

The substrate is Caribsea Ecocomplete. I have substrate cabling if not for anything but just uniform heating.

The lights are an Arcadia 4x54W T5 fixture with T5 Grolux tubes, and a cheapo Catalina 4x55W PC fixture with GE 9325K tubes. They both have the crappy flat square type reflector, so light delivery is not as good as it should be. With one ban of PCs turned off, it's been 3.1W/gal up til now, but I've just decided to switch them all on and make it 4.15W/gal. See what happens.

50% water change every 8 days along with ferts, which are: JBL Ferropol (containing no NO3 or PO4), Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, with NO3 and PO4 dosed separately to Tom Barr's 7:1 ratio.

As soon as I can find a plant wavelength LED light fixture, I'll get one, and not just because they'll be better for plant growth than what I have now, but also a lot of the fish like the Cardinals would prefer much softer lighting.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The setup sounds great. My anubias are in the worst condition but on some of the leafs have a the hard rock type BBA on the trim of the leafs. I have pretty high levels of co2 levels but Im guessing it coming from the excess nutrients in the water column.

Im thinking of spot treating the areas with flourish excell. Have an experiance in that area?
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I had that problem originally but Excel cures it. Just dose your tank with it at the same time along with your other ferts.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Long time awrieger,Good to see your tanks again and always looking good and healthy

You can always add but never take.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aussie Style
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
I just love the way your swords look. You have inspired me in finding some swords now and get a couple crowning again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode