3'X14''X18'' Hi Tech ADA Style Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
3'X14''X18'' Hi Tech ADA Style Planted Tank

Hi all,

I'm Richard, I've long been into planted tanks, but haven't had a tank setup for a while. I've also been a real user of the 'ghetto'-tech planted tank ranging from DIY CO2, al foil reflectors and random DIY ferts... I've always had a few tanks:

2ftX18inch wide breeder, back in 1999 when planted aquaria in the west was still a mystery and the thought was that phosphates and nitrogen was BAD NEWS!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...icle/tank2.jpg

4ft standard, back in 2000 when i only had one light and no fertilsation and no substrate
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../planttank.jpg

6X2.5X2.5 some of you might remember this tank fish/ many plants/ much advice supplied by Slippery little suckers

It grew from this:

to this

Bigger picture in the link:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ants/fish1.jpg

Now I stumbled on a sweet deal from an old friend of mine, so it's time to go high tech (with some help from ADA)

The setup will be as follows:
Lighting: 96watt 6700k CF.
Fertilisation: probably dry dosing
Substrate: FULL ADA (!) Aquasoil, Powersand and 5 substrate powders.
Co2: Dupla 750gram bottle, Dupla Delta regulator, Dupla Magnetic Solenoid
,Looking for a bubble counter, with dupla diffuser leading to be reacted in the filter chamber
Heating: Looking at getting a Hydor ETH inline 300 watt
Filtration: Eheim 2217 with Cal Aqua Lab Lily pipes (sweet!!)

Here are some pics

I made a trip down to Slipper Little Suckers, they are a fantastic store supporting a fantastic hobby and best of all stocking ADA stuff.

Anyway picked up 2 bags of aquasoil (hope its enough!), a bag of powersand and some powders.

pictures soon!

Last edited by nornicle; 05-19-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

3X14X18

Some pics of the ADA products I'll be working with

I was working on some layouts tonight and came up with the following

thinking of going with this one

im not happy that the wood is so light, but in a few months it will become very dark.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

And now I started adding soils :/

Add ADA powders

Add Powersand

Add Duplarit G then cover with Aquasoil

Wah lah

Setup some equipment, alah test run of lily pipes, clear tubing, co2 mock setup. Still need to find a good diffuser or reactor...

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
mmmm sweet setup. That wood piece is awesome! Can't wait to see the progression of the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sweet Jesus that must be a typo! 3'x14'x18' ?!

Looks good so far.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think i learned a valuable lesson since keeping tanks for a long time and rushing many things, is that the longer you wait to get everything you need, to nicer the finished product tends to be, or at least the maintainence becomes less with upfront planning.

This tank has taken nearly a month to gather all the parts and I'm not even there yet (lights to come)

Anyway I would like to riff a little about ADA soils

ADA Soils

Powders (Bacter 100, clear super, penac W, tourmaline and bacter ball)

To be honest I was a little skeptical at first like many people would be that the powders would help.

However, I think that they will help seed the substrate with what it needs to mature faster. There is definitely a thought process going on behind this, Tom Barr and many others have riffed on the fact that mature substrates are much better than new substrates, and if I can get bacterial colonies started earlier, then I am all for it.

In anycase, I will give it a go for this tank, and hopefully my substrate can mature faster.

Powersand

I read that you don't need this, but after spreading it out on the ground, I think everyone should get this as a bottom layer substrate, I think it is a concentrated fertiliser, mixed with pumice and peat. I feel alot more comfortable knowing I have a long term fertiliser down there, and you don't need that much I only used a 2l bag. Note I also added some Duplarit G I had lying around to add some iron to the substrate.

To those who use just aquasoil, power to them, but I have always believed in giving plants access to highly fertilised substrate below the main substrate.. whether this has been my own DIY mix, clay balls or Tetra initial sticks I think this is one reason i have always had crypts thrive.

Aquasoil

It's not as crumbly as I expected, it is quite a firm bunch of soil bits, I would definitely not be pressing on it all the time, but i can't imagine it losing its form in years to come

It smells like real earth which is something new, and it looks really natural,

I definitely recommend it, after considering eco complete, flourite, plain gravel and mixing my own, for the look and the results of others, I think aquasoil will be the winner.

I think people have to be careful with aquasoil though (and those that have stuffed up with it i think weren't careful and used it like gravel, which i stress, it is NOT) and follow the following tips:

a) Spray water on the top layer a few hours before planting to prevent the top layer floating.
b) fill water up to top of the aquasoil before planting
c) spread newspaper all over the bottom before filling up the tank to prevent any movement.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Slipper Little Suckers??! Anyhow, I like your driftwood arrangement. What plants are you planning?

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

I like your lily pipes! Ive been interested in trying out ADA too, cant afford it at the moment, maybe my next tank. Your not going to buy a ceramic diffusor? would complete the ada look. Good Luck looking forward to seeing some updates
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi guys,

Solomon : Yes I'm going to get a rhinox I think
KDahlin: Slippery little suckers is a LFS in Sydney that sells ADA and some pretty cool plants

Design elements of the hardscape

I want to speak a little about how i ended with the hardscape that I chose.

I have always used triangles and the golden ratio in my designs, and hopefully I can explain how I came up with this one.

I will also post a copy of one of my design articles in the main ADA forums.

If you initially look at my tank, the wood does not fit the general 3/5th golden ratio rule, however it does have triangles and it is assymetrical which gives the viewer instant complexity in the aquascape. Depth is initially hard to create in the hardscape, and it is a collaboration of variations in height of substrate, hardscape and clever plant selection and pruning that allows perspective and depth to be created.

Anyway back to the harscape. in point no. 1 I've created a point 3/5th of the way along but in the open part of the tank, I then create it again 2/5th of the way in on the left hand side in the wooded area.

A triangle is then created between all the focal points at varying heights, now in this photo the height is actually a little too stagnant, which is why i have an arrow next to point 1 where i will actually move the branch slightly lower when i fill the tank.

I'll riff more on triangles and golden ratios when i start planting

I think one of my biggest challenges will be to use the 14" width to the maximum, in the past all my planted tanks have been a minimum of 18" wide (which i recommend to anyone starting a tank!)
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i said let there be light and there was.

getting closer to water
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM

im very excited to see this
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

this is a cabinet i built for my 2X18 which is destined to become a open top planted tank (when funds permit, as lights + substrate are expensive things!)

however what I'm showing here is are the filter's i'm seeding that will be going on the 3fter.. plants and ferts arriving tomorrow.

here is another shot of the cabinet.

interior shot

im getting quite attached to the tank, as it's almost like i've 'grown up' in the world of planted tanks.. and hopefully this will be successful. I have to get my water fert dosing right through because in the past I have always just 'underdosed' and used low light
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

im very very tired.. it took about 5 hours.

post my comments soon

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Good stuff,
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great! where'd you get your plants from?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode