Brand new 75 gallon photo journal! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Brand new 75 gallon photo journal!

This tank is dedicated to Austin and Phil. Thank You both.

Day 1:
Stocking level:
10 Zebra Danios
10 Long fin blue danios
4 Male Guppies
20 Cherry Shrimp
1 Chinese Algae Eater

Equipment:
2x 1x65w Coralife lights
1x 1x40w T12 40w bulb
(total light of 170w )
Filstar XP3 filter
100w heater
Pressurized CO2 with hagen ladder, going to convert to a reactor

Half full -- filling it up, some old substrate from the other aquarium.

Full with filter (Filstar XP3), Heater, CO2 Ladder (going to replace with a reactor) driftwood and hardrock slate.

Semi-Planted. Cabomba, Red Foxtail, Tiger Lotus, Corkscrew vals, Moneywort.

Closeup of the hard rock slate and drift wood.

I plan to make the middle, raised ground a bed of dwarf hairgrass. Its been ordered and hopefully shipped. Behind the second layer of rocks I plan to fill with .. I dont know

The water's still a bit cloudy, I'm going to do a 5 gallon water change every day for a while until it clears up. The shultz aquatic soil (40lbs of it) is not the most reliable stuff to not make your tank cloudy

All of the rocks I got from home depot for $1.50 all said and done.

Plans: More guppies. 50 Cardinal tetras. 8-12 congo tetras... and of course, more shrimp.

As always, photos of this aquarium and is progress will also be kept up to date in the gallery on my blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Also, Comments greatly appreciated!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Looking good. I've heard great things about Schultz as a substrate. Have you considered cramming it full of fast stems and doing a "silent cycle". They work and cause no stress or permenant damage to the fish.

From Rex's site:

Then it was discovered that by setting up a tank and filling it full of fast growing stem plants that one could add a medium to large fish load all at once and never see the traditional ammonia or nitrite spikes. The reason for this is simple. The plants love ammonia. So it never gets a chance to kill the fish. Also the plants come covered in beneficial bacteria that will start the traditional cycle. One advantage of this is that you are going to have a lot of stem plant trimmings to trade at the local fish store or send to your friends.
It is suggested that one use two bunches (4-6 stems each) of plants for each five gallons of water. Plants to use include Foxtail, Hygro (any color), Creeping Charlie, Red Ludwigia, Moneywort, Wisteria, Egeria, Shinnersia rivularis, (Mexican Oakleaf) or Water Sprite. Then after a couple of months one can start removing the stem plants and adding the other plants that you want.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Looking good. I've heard great things about Schultz as a substrate. Have you considered cramming it full of fast stems and doing a "silent cycle". They work and cause no stress or permenant damage to the fish.

From Rex's site:

Then it was discovered that by setting up a tank and filling it full of fast growing stem plants that one could add a medium to large fish load all at once and never see the traditional ammonia or nitrite spikes. The reason for this is simple. The plants love ammonia. So it never gets a chance to kill the fish. Also the plants come covered in beneficial bacteria that will start the traditional cycle. One advantage of this is that you are going to have a lot of stem plant trimmings to trade at the local fish store or send to your friends.
It is suggested that one use two bunches (4-6 stems each) of plants for each five gallons of water. Plants to use include Foxtail, Hygro (any color), Creeping Charlie, Red Ludwigia, Moneywort, Wisteria, Egeria, Shinnersia rivularis, (Mexican Oakleaf) or Water Sprite. Then after a couple of months one can start removing the stem plants and adding the other plants that you want.
I have. I have a 6"x6" square of hair grass coming my way to add to the current plant load. I dont plan on adding the rest of the fish for about a month, by that time I hope the plants have filled in enough to handle the bio-load. Right now I think I have a very small bio-load for this size aquarium. Remember, over half the bio balls in the filter are from a pre-exiting, established tank.

One of the reasons I'm not ordering the fish right away is the place I can get them bulk from has quoted me $78+ shipping for 50 cardinals + 10 congo tetros, which is not too bad. of course, since im getting a bulk load I have to eat any losses in shipping.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Cool. But you might want more light because that probably isn't near enough light for dwarf hairgrass IME. (Edit) I didn't notice the extra 40 watt T12.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Cool. But you might want more light because that probably isn't near enough light for dwarf hairgrass IME. (Edit) I didn't notice the extra 40 watt T12.
Once I get some more $$ im going to add a dual 40w T12 strip... That will give me 250w of lighting. 3.33wpg.. 2.25wpg right now as it stands today.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just a heads up, the green and white variegated plant that you have is non-aquatic. I would remove it and take it back to the LFS before it rots.

Good luck with your tank!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Just a heads up, the green and white variegated plant that you have is non-aquatic. I would remove it and take it back to the LFS before it rots.

Good luck with your tank!
Already figured that out. I've got a place for it in another aquarium where it can grow with only its roots in the tank.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Update 5/11/07

Hairgrass arrived! Thank You so much to HashBaz! What a wonderful shipment of plants.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:09 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks really nice, it has been amazing to me how my tank started similiar (only smaller) with all the open space and now its a dense tangle mat of plants (behind on trimming) in a matter of weeks. I"m looking forward to seeing how yours fills in.

I love the brazilian hydrocoytle (at least from what i can see it looks like it) mine has grown so much i actually had enough to try out in my 120 goldfish tank. Most of the time i dont even anchor it to the substrate i just tuck it behind the driftwood for the illusion of being anchored. I might try it as a foreground but i dont have much foreground in my tank. Yours makes me jealous for the sheer amount of space you have to work with still .

For your order of fish thats not a bad price at all and depending on the quality of the shipper loses shouldnt be too bad, i'd expect 10-15% over all on a bad order. At least thats what i see from our shippers at work on a bad day with neons and cardinals.

I'll be watching to see how well the hair grass grows in i've been wanting some in my tank but lighting is too low atm for it..all things in time though .

Jason
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
looking at you equipment list i was wondering. is 100w heater sufficient for 75 gal.?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnjoe View Post
looking at you equipment list i was wondering. is 100w heater sufficient for 75 gal.?
plenty, its not even plugged in right now and the tanks 75-80... I need a cooler actually. I live in an apartment / condo complex. it never gets below 60 inside, even with all my winter heaters off.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Penny wort can be a cool foreground. Just keep pushing the shoots back into the substrate till a nice mat fills whatever area you want to cover... Once it's how you want it trim the new shoots.

BTW: Nice car! I picked up an XT last year. Fun to blow the kids away in their race prepped Honda and my daughters empty recaro seat strapped in the back seat.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
plenty, its not even plugged in right now and the tanks 75-80... I need a cooler actually. I live in an apartment / condo complex. it never gets below 60 inside, even with all my winter heaters off.
I just found out that if I want to heat the aquarium, put the lights closer to the water.

The tank was peeking 85 deg the past few days, and i put the lights up on legs and put a fan blowing across the surface. Now the temps stable at 73-75.. Amazing how 4, 65w CF bulbs heated the water 10deg in a 75.. .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode