ADEng's First High Tech ADA 60P Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADEng's First High Tech ADA 60P Planted Tank

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum but I haven’t yet introduced myself. I’m Jon and I just got into the hobby 4 months ago with the help of my good friend. He gifted me a pico tank from my birthday and it all grew from there!

That pico tank obviously wasn’t enough after a while and I had the urge to upgrade to something bigger. I contemplated between an ADA 90P and the ADA 60P. Several deciding factors led me to choosing the 60P as my tank. After several weeks of planning and purchasing equipment from various local stores and members here on the forum, I finally have it coming all together.

I figured I would post this up here as I've been lurking the site for a long time now reading lots of different material and trying to learn as much as possible.

So here’s what we’ve got:
Tank:ADA 60 p tank 17 gallons
Lighting: ODYSSEA 24" 2x24w T5HO Giesseman Aquaflora and Mid-day + Kessil 150W amazon sun
Filtration: Eheim classic filter 2215
CO2: Milwaukee co2 regulator on a 5lb tank with inline atomizer
Heater: Hydor inline 200w

Hardscape:
ADA power sand M + S
ADA Amazonia soil Regular + powder
ADA Ryuoh Stones
Twisted rosewood
Regular common pebbles

Flora:
Ludwigia Arcuata
Hygrophila Polysperma
Rotala sp. “Nanjenshan” (Mayaca)
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana Micro Sword
Staurogyne Repens
Fissidens Moss
Fauna:
Suggestions?

Day 1:
Water Parameters:
Not much to say as far as tank parameters. Keeping water fairly soft in hopes of moving my Rasboras Maculatus into the tank in the future.
PH: 7
Temp: 78F
Partial water change 2x a week.
Today was build day! AdobeOtoCat joined me early in the morning and we put together the hardscape. I had the layout sketched out weeks ago and it was great to see it come together.

The left side is the “higher” peak and also has the main stone. I really liked this piece of wood used here as it very closely resembles a cut down tree. I used rock and other pieces of wood to make it look more like a tree. The pebbles at the substrate boundary provide a better transition and help to add scale to the tank.

The right side is the lower peak. Again we used rock here to create a passage of sorts in the middle and the stone points to the main stone on the left side. The wood also points right, away from the main stone. The sand area ended up being very wide and open and I decided to add another piece of drift wood here in front to create a more natural atmosphere.

Planting time! Here are our two plates of plants. The rotala and ludwigia were both from aquacells.

All planted! At the background I used the hygros. Mid I decided to use solely the ludwigia arcuata. Foreground is the s. repens. I envision this side to be mainly red with green from the repens.

On the left side I also used the hygros as background. Mid I used the rotala and foreground also s.repens. In the passage I used the microswords to fill in gaps in the rock. Fissidens were added to each of the three pieces of wood.

FILLED. Don’t mind the filter pipes. Lily pipes are on the way. These pictures are with fluorescents only. Wood decided to float so we put a rock on it for now.

Added the Kessil Amazon Sun for kicks. Decided it looked better so I kept it on. It also gave the tank a shimmer which the fluorescents didn’t do.

Waiting for the water to clear and everything to get cycled! Any suggestions and comments are welcome! I'd love to hear some stocking ideas, growing tips, anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:09 PM
10G
Algae Grower

Sweet start man. Any pics of inside the cabinet ? Did you get all your stuff in Canada?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

I really like the layout of your tank and especially the rooting and trees. Can't wait to see more!

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10G View Post
Sweet start man. Any pics of inside the cabinet ? Did you get all your stuff in Canada?
Thanks 10G. Yep I do have a photo... it's not so great since I took it with my phone but here it is:

The zip ties holding the heater have been replaced with u clamps and I now have vertical beams inside to provide some reinforcement to the cabinet. I'll get an updated picture tonight.

Yep I did order everything from Canada. Mostly from local fish stores here in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosnowman View Post
I really like the layout of your tank and especially the rooting and trees. Can't wait to see more!
Thanks!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Nice setup and hardscape! I'm curious to see how you reinforced the cabinet. I'm running my besta stock but you guys are starting to get me to second guess that decision. LOL

Feels very solid though...then again, I didn't drill the sides for filter pipes. Hmmm?

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Nice setup and hardscape! I'm curious to see how you reinforced the cabinet. I'm running my besta stock but you guys are starting to get me to second guess that decision. LOL

Feels very solid though...then again, I didn't drill the sides for filter pipes. Hmmm?
It does feel very solid. My buddy and I both sat on top of it and our combined weight is almost 400 lbs. My father took a look at the tank and hes got a much greater woodworking background than I and he assured me it would be fine.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
wow the scape is pretty crazy. loving the details in the mounds

i see you took out the shelves in yours! I'm keeping mine as I have bottled water on the bottom shelf and my planting stuff on a mid shelf. top shelf is tiny and is housing the reef keeper power strip and drilled to put in any wires.

I like how you clamp the hoses. Is the filter running fine with the roller coasting shaped hosing?
I'm planning on running the filter and co2 outside of the tank in a small plastic tub for leak safety sake. (i live in a 2flr apartment)

what are you running for filter can media?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool, thanks for that extra reassurance! After reading your posts about minute bowing, I took a flashlight and tried to use my naked eye for any signs of stress or fatigue at the connection points. Everything still looks good...lol

I was starting to get paranoid for a second. Anyways, I think I'd be cool for now in AZ... But I'll be moving back to Cali in about a year. I might have to reinforce regardless because earthquakes are prone to happen there.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
In my opinion the driftwood in the front right is unnecessary. Otherwise fantastic start!

ADA Gentleman #1

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
wow the scape is pretty crazy. loving the details in the mounds

i see you took out the shelves in yours! I'm keeping mine as I have bottled water on the bottom shelf and my planting stuff on a mid shelf. top shelf is tiny and is housing the reef keeper power strip and drilled to put in any wires.

I like how you clamp the hoses. Is the filter running fine with the roller coasting shaped hosing?
I'm planning on running the filter and co2 outside of the tank in a small plastic tub for leak safety sake. (i live in a 2flr apartment)

what are you running for filter can media?
Thanks for the comments. I did, there isn't much room left over for shelving with the 5LB canister and filter. I would have loved to have a place to store my planting tools and test kits but I'll probably put a small table nearby for those things.

Filter is running fine and there is quite a bit of hose. I measured the flow and I have a turn over rate of about 5.5x based on 17.5 gallons of water in the tank.

Quote:
Cool, thanks for that extra reassurance! After reading your posts about minute bowing, I took a flashlight and tried to use my naked eye for any signs of stress or fatigue at the connection points. Everything still looks good...lol

I was starting to get paranoid for a second. Anyways, I think I'd be cool for now in AZ... But I'll be moving back to Cali in about a year. I might have to reinforce regardless because earthquakes are prone to happen there.
Yea no problem, I think I'm just paranoid!

Quote:
In my opinion the driftwood in the front right is unnecessary. Otherwise fantastic start!
Yea I am a bit undecided on that piece. I thought it detracted a bit from the rocks but the sandy area was far too bare. I ma try and find some other way to spruce up the sand.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Great job capturing the Nature Aquarium style! The 60p is the classic size, not too small and not too big. Any plans for shrimp?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Great job capturing the Nature Aquarium style! The 60p is the classic size, not too small and not too big. Any plans for shrimp?
Thanks a lot. I agree, that was what made me choose it in the end. A 90P is on the horizon however! Yes I'll most likely get a few shrimp once the tank is cycled, im not entirely sure yet which one. I'm trying to lean away from CRS because everybody seems to end up going that route.

That's what the inside of the cabinet looks like now. All the tubes turned brown because of the dirty water from flooding the tank. Kinda turns me off alot, I'm almost tempted to cut new tubing a put it in but I have a feeling its just going to change on me in a few days. It's just basic home depot vinyl tubing.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool... thanks for the updated pic. Gives me ideas if I want to reinforce mine.

As for those hoses, maybe you can use a Magfox to clean them without having to disconnect everything.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea ill give it a try. I have a feeling it's stained. Its strange but it stains after the heater but not before it. Maybe something to do with the vinyl becoming softer with the heat
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah that makes sense.. heat can discolor things. Just give it a try. I find that a magfox is nice to have anyways. Even if you don't use it for the hoses, it makes for a nice algae scrubber in the hard to reach places of your tank.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode