10 Gallon Half Dutch/Half Iwagumi? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (38/100%)
10 Gallon Half Dutch/Half Iwagumi?

Update: 12/12/2013.

Very first shot: 10/18/2013.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tank Stats:

Substrate:
Eco-Complete

Equipment:
2x18W 6500k Odyssea Light
2 Aquaclear 20 filters (customized filter media)
DIY CO2 + Glass Diffuser
100W Heater
Tetra Air Pump

Plants:
Rotala Nanjenshan Sp
Rotala Rotundifolia (Indica?)
Lysimachia Nummularia 'Aurea' (Golden Creeping Jenny)
Limnophila Aromatica 'Hippuroides'
Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Baby Tears)
Hemianthus Callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears)
Blyxa Japonica
Staurogyne Repens
Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi)
Nesaea Sp. Red
Ludwigia Sp. Red

Inhabitants:
1 Halfmoon Betta
5 Neon Tetras
2 Panda Corys
2 Otocinclus
20+ Cherry Shrimp
9 Amano Shrimp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I have been so inspired by everyone's tank journals here. I revisit this section every day to see if anyone's uploaded new photos for their tanks. You know those threads with 20 pages? I'm the person that goes through all 20 pages! Haha. Anyway, I thought I'd contribute to this section with my own experiences.

I decided to rescape my 10 gallon planted tank. Here is picture of how it looked before.

While it was a great tank and I really liked the look of it at the time when things started growing out, I felt that the driftwood was just too big of a piece to put in an ordinary 10 gallon tank. It felt cluttered and I felt I didn't have enough flexibility to aquascape. Therefore, I decided to remove the driftwood and go for rocks as hardscape. [I have the driftwood up for grabs if anyone wants. It has anubias nana, two anubias petites, and java fern all growing on it! PM if interested!]

I had no idea what I wanted to do so I went to Aquatic Gardeners Association to look at their contest photos. Great resource here!!! I found my inspiration and I picked out rocks and the setup I was looking for. People at the petshop were probably thinking I was a caveman playing with rocks. lol.

Foreground only carpet of Staurogynes repens!

Purchased a bunch of plants from planted aquariums central and did a massive rearranging and planting yesterday. Here's what it is looking like so far.

I'm going to fill in some of the gaps with downoi once they come in. Can anyone suggest a nice red stem plant to put in the left corner?

Will keep everyone posted! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Asu1776; 12-12-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Update 12/12/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
nice tanks, I'm looking forward to receiving my 2nd shipment from planted aquariums central today... I'm starting a new 10 gal with them as well... I was able to collect my rocks from the river next to my house, but I can picture the scene of a bin full of rocks and you picking through each and every one setting them on the side until you found the perfect ones =)

is that HC in the front now? What are your lights? I don't know if I would have been able to rip the old tank apart to start over... I probably would have had to buy a new tank instead so I could keep them both =) both look really nice.

--Rob--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
oh just noticed your diffuser... so it looks like its compressed CO2?

I had to give up on my driftwood too, just not enough space in a 10 gal...

--Rob--

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha! I was literally going through shelves of rocks and placing them on the floor. My legs got so tired from squatting, that I sat down, legs crossed, just arranging rocks. I don't even know why I went to the petshop in retrospect. Probably just thought the rocks would be safe.

It is HC in the front row. The lights are 2x18W Odyssea lights. It was kind of sad to rip it apart, but I think once I got the rocks, it was rather refreshing to start new.

I am running DIY CO2. I've discovered that using a larger reacting bottle makes the CO2 last longer, probably because less yeast die off from the alcohol they produce. But agreed. Not enough space in the 10 gallon for big driftwood. Maybe small branches with moss growing on it.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's an updated picture of the tank.

I've added the downoi in the center, behind the rock "bench" and also to the right. I went to the LFS to pick up some Ludwigia sp. Red to add a red accent to the left side. They are expensive! Got 3 stems for $9.99. Their amanos are not bad though. I picked up 5 for $13.99. Currently stocking 1 Halfmoon Betta, 5 neon tetras, 2 pandy corys, 2 otocinclus, 20+ cherry shrimp, 9 amanos.

I've noticed the HC start to expand and some stems are pointing upwards. I hope it's not a light issue. I'm running a 2x18w T5 HO light over a 10 gallon. About 2 inches about the water level. Hopefuly it's just expanding due to compression from shipping. I'm also hoping it'll fill in nicely in 1 months time.

What do you guys think?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I also bought a glass drop checker online. Apparently this cheap one I got from fluval leaked the solution into the water!! I feel that's the only explanation since the fluid level inside the checker was lower than when I first put it in. Did an immediate water change so I hope everything will be fine. Don't recommend the fluval CO2 indicator kit at all. I've learned not to be cheap and to go for the glass checker, make your own 4dkh solution with baking soda, and using ph test to get it all working.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Last, but not least for this update. Here's a picture of the blueprint I drew before I decided to rescape. I drew this at work....and now I'm behind. Planted tank enthusiast problems.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
You're tank (before and after rescaping) is beautiful! Makes me want to try hi-tec/light setups.. maybe someday..

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Nice tank! You asked about a red stem plant for the back left, what about some ludwigia sp red? I got some about a month ago and it has quickly become one of my favorite red plants. The leaves seem to stay relatively small and it's a pretty intense deep red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40B Goldfish Tank

Betta Tank

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's looking really nice! You may want to consider tying moss onto the rocks in the future. If you get bored with this look, adding a dark green midground like moss can change the feel dramatically. As for the HC, don't worry about it. Give it a month or two to get rooted well then cut it close to the substrate. That'll help encourage low growth without depriving your plants of nutrients early on.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@AquaAurora. If you have the time and money, I'd totally try a hi-tech setup. You can widen your choice of plants so much and growth them faster under the right conditions too.

@tithra. Good suggestion! In fact I might have browsed to one of your youtube videos talking about your selection of plants. I've got the ludwigia red going right now. It was kind of expensive though, but I agree, the small leaves are much more suitable for a tank my size.

@Phil Edwards. I like the moss suggestion. For my next tank setup, I'm trying to develop the "from the corner" driftwood branches and rocks setup. I think moss would be an excellent natural feel. But agreed. I'm a little impatient with the HC since this is my 3rd time trying it. I think the conditions and planting locations are right for the plant now so we'll just have to see what happens in a month.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh geez! I didn't even notice the ludwigia red in the updated pic! I was just looking at the picture above it.

40B Goldfish Tank

Betta Tank

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great minds think alike! The other red plant I have on the left side is Nesaea red from planted aquariums central. I've heard so much pessimism regarding keeping it. If it wilts, I think may propagate the ludwigia sp. red there.

Has anyone had experience with Nesaea red?
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
Great minds think alike! The other red plant I have on the left side is Nesaea red from planted aquariums central. I've heard so much pessimism regarding keeping it. If it wilts, I think may propagate the ludwigia sp. red there.

Has anyone had experience with Nesaea red?
I have been tempted to buy some nesaea, but have been hesitant because it seems like a tricky plant. I'll be interested to see how it does for you!

40B Goldfish Tank

Betta Tank

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone!

@AquaAurora. If you have the time and money, I'd totally try a hi-tech setup. You can widen your choice of plants so much and growth them faster under the right conditions too.

@tithra. Good suggestion! In fact I might have browsed to one of your youtube videos talking about your selection of plants. I've got the ludwigia red going right now. It was kind of expensive though, but I agree, the small leaves are much more suitable for a tank my size.

@Phil Edwards. I like the moss suggestion. For my next tank setup, I'm trying to develop the "from the corner" driftwood branches and rocks setup. I think moss would be an excellent natural feel. But agreed. I'm a little impatient with the HC since this is my 3rd time trying it. I think the conditions and planting locations are right for the plant now so we'll just have to see what happens in a month.
$ and experience make me want to wait. While I've had plants in my tank for over a year but I have a pleco that likes to eat everything... So I haven't gotten any real experience yet (now have mts and plants it aquariums the pleco can't reach so I can start learning ^^)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode