Starting my 29gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Starting my 29gal

I just bought the soilmaster and the 2x65 light. I just got a few plants rights now. More to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Looks good.

FYI, Just run one of the bulbs until you get a much larger mass of plants.
Algae will have a field day with your current lighting-to-plant ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

60gal planted
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
With that much light over 29 gallons, you'll probably want to start off with a lot more plants -- either stop by your LFS and stock up on inexpensive fast growing stem plants or post a note on the Swap and Shop here that you're looking for starter plants. Packing the tank with quick-growers will allow the tank to cycle more quickly and get you off to a good start.

What plans do you have for fertilization, CO2, and inhabitants? I'll look forward to seeing the tank grow in -- it looks like you're off to a good start!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You have some non-aquatic plants in there. Get more plants to avoid an algae bloom.

Not liking the rocks. Try for something more natural.

Do you have pressurized CO2? If not, you will soon have an algae mess with all that light. I suggest only running one for now.

Are you dosing fertilizer?

EDIT: Ninja posted!

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Is that mondo grass in there?

60gal planted
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
Sure is.

10 characters.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow thanks for all of the posts and feedback. I will shut down one of the lamps as directed.

I just setup a 3L DIY yeast bottle. I already have some java and Christmas moss on order from this forum.

As for ferts, I am just using some Flourish. I plan to order some of the other stuff this week. (EI)

I have a 90 gal down stairs that I will eventually go pressurize with. I just wanted to get started with plants and diy c02 on the smaller 29g.

I am still very new to all this so I am sure there is a lot for me to learn.

Chris
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
You have some non-aquatic plants in there. Get more plants to avoid an algae bloom.

Not liking the rocks. Try for something more natural.

Do you have pressurized CO2? If not, you will soon have an algae mess with all that light. I suggest only running one for now.

Are you dosing fertilizer?

EDIT: Ninja posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
Yeah the rocks will probably go when I find better ones and some wood. I just needed to put something in there.

This all GREAT info for the new guy.

I turned one lamp off. Will leave off until I get more.

I did a lil search for Mando grass and it seems petco is a common offender on this, which they are who I got this yard grass from.

Here are some pics of the roots and my diy c02 already working after 4 hours. I used the sticky post for the mixture. I am getting a good steady pulse of bubbles. I got a glass diffuser on order.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool

Not a bad start. Good thing you take criticism well, it's good for you! Hopefully this tank will evolve into a beautiful planted tank
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Looks like a good start.
that mondo grass is a great terrarium, pond, and walkway border plant. It can live under water for a long while.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I removed the grass and planted it in the flower bed outside.

The water has completely cleared after a day. My DIY c02 jug started producing bubbles after 4 hours and now day 3 it is really going well.

I have one of those Japanese glass diffusers on order from eBay, so I will get a lot better co2 soon.

I have an assortment pack on order from aquariumplants.com (12plant).

I also have a patch of java and christmas moss on order from this forum.

I also have some cherry shrimp on order but not sure if my tank will be cycled by the time I get the shrimp. I might need to put them in my 5gal with water from my 90. Would that be ok?

Thanks

The hornwort looks really good now. Nice color.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Looking good, great start. This should be fun to watch develop.

Have you thought about a hardscape at all? You have these plants on order, now may be the time to decide if you are going to go with driftwood or something other than the rocks. If you do go with driftwood you may want to get on that. Alot of times you need to presoak them to get the tannis out and water log the wood so it doesn't float. It will also help you decide on how to scape and plant the tank with the stuff you just ordered.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck!!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Looking good, great start. This should be fun to watch develop.

Have you thought about a hardscape at all? You have these plants on order, now may be the time to decide if you are going to go with driftwood or something other than the rocks. If you do go with driftwood you may want to get on that. Alot of times you need to presoak them to get the tannis out and water log the wood so it doesn't float. It will also help you decide on how to scape and plant the tank with the stuff you just ordered.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck!!
Great info !

Is "Hardscape" the use of rocks only?

I was thinking about replacing the rocks with driftwood. I think I will go out and get some tonight.

How long should I soak it? Should I soak it in warm water or just cold water? Is there anything special I should do to prepare it?

I think I will place the driftwood where the three rocks are now and plant the 12 pack of plants around it and in that corner, then I will start a carpet of moss or riccia soon after for the bulk of the middle.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
I usually just put the driftwood in a bucket with dechlorinated tap water and weigh it down with something to keep is submerged. i also put an airstone in there too keep the water from being stagnant (it can get nasty in my basement). I usually soak it until the driftwood no longer will float. (couple days). Doesn't hurt to ask the person you are getting the driftwood from. Some people claim that they are selling "pre-soaked" driftwood, but i always reccomend soaking it anyway to get any impurities out of the wood.

Have fun with the riccia...lol. its a mess sometimes but looks awesome when it pearls.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
I usually just put the driftwood in a bucket with dechlorinated tap water and weigh it down with something to keep is submerged. i also put an airstone in there too keep the water from being stagnant (it can get nasty in my basement). I usually soak it until the driftwood no longer will float. (couple days). Doesn't hurt to ask the person you are getting the driftwood from. Some people claim that they are selling "pre-soaked" driftwood, but i always reccomend soaking it anyway to get any impurities out of the wood.

Have fun with the riccia...lol. its a mess sometimes but looks awesome when it pearls.
Went to the lfs and got a really nice piece. I will soak and post when I put it in. I have about four orders coming in this week, it should all come together by the weekend.

.... I just put the wood in and it doesn't float !!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode