My First Attempt at a Planted Tank !! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
My First Attempt at a Planted Tank !!

Hey all,

This is my first attempt at a planted tank so be easy on me ! haha. I will be adding ground cover and some mid-sized plants in the middle but for now this is what i created. Bogwood on the left and some slate cliffs on the right. Any advice would be appreciated !

James

PS...excuse the bag of gravel in the middle...substrate from my last setup to help the nitrogen cycle get started.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:53 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice indeed!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Not bad

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
If that bubble ladder is being used for CO2, you want to reduce the surface being broken by that HOB filter to prevent CO2 outgassing.

is that a tiger lotus? The leaves get 12+ inches. I am starting to think this plant might be too big for my 75g. Just thought you should know.

nice start!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanx everyone.

Mac, once i stop the daily water changes for start up i will have the water level right up to the lip of the filter to minimize surface turbulence. Will this work or would it be worth the money for me to go to an external cannister ?

Yes it is a tiger lotus. I have a glass top on the tank. Will that prevent the lotus from growing too high ? If not then could i prune the plant in a safe way whenever one of the leaves reaches the surface ?

Thanks for any help !

James
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:41 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I trim my lotus anytime it starts sending leaves toward the surface which doesn't happen as often as it used to do it. At 1st it was weekly but keeping the plant short has trained it to just put out more leaves instead of trying to grow high. Also none of the leaves are more than 6 inches wide.

Decide what height you want the plant to get to and then snip the leaves stems near the base that are getting above that.Make sure you don't cut all of them off at once though. Just the tallest ones. The newer leaves will learn to stay low.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Its a nice start. My only problem is that there is like 3 pieces of wood(scattered) and a Large rock and a couple large charcoal colored rocks. To many focal points. Overall its nice!

~James
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Filling the water level up is an easy way to reduce surface agitation. I do this in my 10 gallon hexagon tank.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal to the Oil View Post
Thanx everyone.

Mac, once i stop the daily water changes for start up i will have the water level right up to the lip of the filter to minimize surface turbulence. Will this work or would it be worth the money for me to go to an external cannister ?

Yes it is a tiger lotus. I have a glass top on the tank. Will that prevent the lotus from growing too high ? If not then could i prune the plant in a safe way whenever one of the leaves reaches the surface ?
James,

Filling it up will certainly help. Many/most people have canister filters. I just got a Rena XP1 for my 20g and love it. Only $46 with pricematching and coupon at Petsmart.

The tiger lotus is not about height so much, just sheer volume. Do cut any leaves that are going for the surface (you'll develop an eye for seeing which are surface leaves and which are submerged leaves). That said, mine is taking up about a 20" inch diamater area of my 75g, and it is still growing. The root system can get crazy, you might want to pot it like I did to help keep it small and facilitate removal f/when it starts getting out of control.

~joel
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much eveyone !

James from Cali....i do hear what you are saying but eventually that large peice of wood in the back is going to be covered in java fern and the one in the from is going to be covered in java moss. Will that take away from them being focal points enough that the slate becomes the dominant focus ?

Macclellan...thanks for the tips....what do you mean by "pot it" ? Does that somehow stop the plant from becoming too large by controlling the roots ?

James
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool

Nice tank you got there, I'd have to agree with James From Cali too on the focal points. You should have either wood hardscape or slate hardscape the two don't really go together in my opinion. Oh, and nice Tiger Barbs
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks so much eveyone !

James from Cali....i do hear what you are saying but eventually that large peice of wood in the back is going to be covered in java fern and the one in the from is going to be covered in java moss. Will that take away from them being focal points enough that the slate becomes the dominant focus ?

Macclellan...thanks for the tips....what do you mean by "pot it" ? Does that somehow stop the plant from becoming too large by controlling the roots ?

James
I think he means, that if it gets too big, you can simply take the pot out? or prevent runners?

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

no, by pot it i meant put it in a pot...As you can see here in my photo journal, I potted some plants to restrict their root growth to make them moveable and so to limit their growth somewhat: 75gal journal
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
I would say that if you arrange the slate in a way that the Moss and fern dont look to much like a focal point than it may look fine. I, like what resguy said, dont like the mix of rock and wood unless the rock is small(like pebbles or something). It just doesnt go together so greatly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
that thing with the big white flower is not aquatic. get it out before it decays and fouls the tank. it also looks like mondo grass that you have split up on the right side. that too is non aquatic.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode