2013 wild festivum to 2015 wild discus biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
2013 wild festivum to 2015 wild discus biotope

What started as a wild festivum tank in 2013 has turned into a wild discus tank. I feel that the festivum were a practice run for the perfect water parameters that the discus require to look their best.

Last edited by jmf3460; 02-01-2015 at 12:27 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it. I bet those swords will take off. Why wouldn't a biotope have plants?

Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end. Sonny: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

I think it's a great start. I'm in the process of my first aquascaped tank. I've got tanks with live plants but not one "scaped." It's really neat to see baby plants that you've grown from the mama plant. Haha. The plants are just as pet like to me as the fish! The swords you have look very full already and will be awesome when they're full grown!

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
FINALLY an Amazon biotype. I've been searching and searching on this forum with no real thread or pictures. I want to do the same thing.

Are you going to add any other fauna? What size tank?

temporary tanks for the time being...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
Also, I know a true biotope shouldn't have plants...
This isn't necessarily so. It goes without saying that some kinds of water are more plant-friendly than others. It depends on which river, lake, etc. you're attempting to mimic in your aquarium. You're aiming for an Amazon biotope. But the Amazon is super vast, hosting a variety of aquatic environments, from clearwater, to whitewater, to blackwater. A Google for "aquatic plants of the amazon river" yields all kinds of stuff. So, the way I see it, you've got lots of leeway.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
youre on a planted forum..

wouldn't hurt to toss in one, two... twenty different sp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looking great. Love the dim lighting.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipper View Post
FINALLY an Amazon biotype. I've been searching and searching on this forum with no real thread or pictures. I want to do the same thing.

Are you going to add any other fauna? What size tank?
I set up a South American Clearwater Stream tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00079.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	223273

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
South American Clearwater Stream
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Clear or blue water streams are transparent rivers that drain the Guyana highlands and the Brazil rocky highlands.
These rivers are fast-flowing at times, but slow-moving at others.
The Rio Xingu and Rio Tocantins are typical clear water rivers.

ECOSYSTEMS:
Para-Tocantins

WATER:
pH 6.9-7.3, 5-12 dH, 75-82 F (24-28 C)

TANK:
The tank should have good filtration which keeps the water clear and creates a moderate current.
The lighting should be bright and plant life should be rich.
A substrate of fine gravel is suggested, as are a few pieces of wood.
Aerate the tank well.

PLANTS:
Sword plants, Ceratophyllum, Cabomba, Lemma, Limnobium, Vallisneria

FISH:
Loricarids, Corydoras, Uaru, Mesonauta, Hyphessobrycon.
These waters are preyed by the Peacock Bass.

Try this website

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_countries.htm

Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end. Sonny: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Thank you. ^

temporary tanks for the time being...
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE: I have added some anubias to the manzanita and some moss covered pieces along the bottom. You can still see the rubber bands because the plants are new. Swords haven't grown much, but I didn't want them to which is why I left them in shot glasses. I have added a small school of black neon tetras and one bamboo shrimp of which I never see unless its time to eat. The festivums are doing well, growing slowly but surely, no aggression so far. Still keeping the tank dark in terms of lighting, The fish seem happy. ITs a 75 gallon tank. with weekly large water changes of 50% or more most times, Indian almond leaves and sand substrate.

-Jacklyn
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Time for an update or two. This tank is around a year old now, and it has become my second favorite tank. I like the footprint of this 75 gallon tank but the canopy makes it almost impossible to reach the substrate with my syphon. Never the less here are some picture updates. 5 festivum cichlids have grown to roughly 4" I have two that I think will become a pair. I feed them 3x/day a mixture of flake, cichlid wafers and FDBW. Their favorite ofcourse being FDBW. I have added a bamboo shrimp and a Gold Spot Sailfin pleco who is only around 4" at the current time. Moss on the wood did not catch but riccia in front left is doing better than I expected. Enjoy!

FTS:

FTS angle shot:

Very fat Festivum:

Gold Spot eating cucumber:

-Jacklyn
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Very nice!

post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks great! I like Biotopes. I did lots of research before starting one. And I second that Mongabay.com is a great resource for all types of biotopes. Mine was a blackwater Amazonian. It housed angels and tetras. I would add blackwater extract but the plants thrived. Once I grew tired of the dark look of the tank, I changed it out about 2 years later. But here's an idea of what it looked like when it was set up.

--90 gallon planted tank

EHEIM #460-- Eheim Pro II 2026
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quick update here: new pic as of feb 2014...the black neons are multiplying. I only had 10 to start now there are 13 or 14 I cant count them correctly consistently. The two big festivum are shaping up to become a pair but have not spawned yet. Every morning when I turn the lights on I watch as he shakes and shimmys in front of her every move trying to get her in the mood. She does it back at him and I can see her cleaning spots but its like she hasn't decided whether she prefers the anubias leaves or the manzanita wood to lay her eggs. after about 20 minutes the male gets frusterated and gives up then begins to chase her as her punishment for not giving in. ha its amusing.

-Jacklyn
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't know about festivums, but many of those blackwater cichlids spawn after a big rain. Try mimicking that with a water change that lowers the temperature a couple degrees or so.

Nice looking tank. Love everything about it.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode