Omega's 44 gallon iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Omega's 44 gallon iwagumi

Hi,

After having a Juwel corner tank for 2 years and always regretted that I didnít buy a rimless tank and also because itís really hard to make a scape work in a corner tank, I decided to buy something else.
I really liked the 12 gallon Mr. Aqua tank but you canít buy them here so I let my LFS build a rimless tank for me. I went a bit bigger than the Mr. Aqua tank. The dimensions are: length 120cm X wide 40cm X height 35 cm (inches= 47,2 X 15,7 X 13,8). This is the result. I know itís not as nice as an ADA tank but it was a lot cheaper and I still think it looks nice. Glass should be optic white.

Since my old aquarium had its own stand that was corner shaped, I had to get a new stand as well. Since I am on a budget I decided to build it myself. On www.projectaquarium.com I found sort of a tutorial of how to build it. Since my dad has friends in the construction business I asked him to check how much the materials would costs. I gave him the print screens from projectaquarium.com and then it went quietÖtoo quiet. Until a week later he sends me these pics.

He secretly had the stand build! I was very surprised and very happy because to be honest if I had to do it myselfÖ well let me put it this wayÖI canít even build ikea furniture to something usable. I did paint it myself though

In the meantime I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the aquascape. Iím a sucker for the Amano style and I love Iwagumi so I had an idea. I build a fake tank and threw some rocks in. That didnít work.
Luckily there are forums like these were people are willing to help each other. I was already in contact with Solcielo Lawrencia (calling him Lawrence from now on) about my old tank and he offered to help me with my new scape by giving me pointers.

So I created something that I thought would look nice and Lawrence helped me to make it work and also teaching me why you would do something and why not. Since we had only contact by mail using photos and a major time difference it took us about 2 weeks to create the final layout. Lawrence was a big help in making this scape, to be really honest I often felt like Amanoís helpers in those black t-shirts and following Lawrence his input. I could not have done this without him, again as always thank you very much Lawrence!!

This was my fake tank:

And here I went to recreate and improve it in the real tank:

When I thought this would be my final layout I got an email from Lawrence with this drawing attached. What would I think of a path/river/road running through the tank. I wasnít 100% enthusiastic about it because I have no idea how to keep in clean and not covered in plants. But I really liked the sketch and thought I will figure it out when I get to that point.

The sketch:

The Tank with and without the path:

When the hardscape was ready I went for planting.

Iím using the following plants (with ADA Amazonia soil):

- Hemianthus callitrichoides
- Glossostigma elatinoides
- Eleocharis parvula

For technique i have the following:

Filtration:
- Eheim Professional 3 2071
- Eheim Ecco Pro 2036

- Pressurized Co2
- Inline heater
- 2x T5 Bulbs 9000k (from JBL) with a Odyssa fixture.
- I fertilize with micro/macro solutions that i make with powders using EI method

Glassware from fleabay, still waiting for the lilypipes though:

Some pictures after planting:

Now the wait has begun

Let me know what you think of it!

Last edited by Omegatron; 10-17-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it fill in. And that stand turned out beautifully.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow, that's so insane. The craftsmanship of the stand is remarkable. If people keep scaping like this, iwagumi will never go out of style!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,

After 25 days, this is the result so far.

I had some diatoms issues but it seems that its going a bit better now. The HC doesnt have the right colour yet. I think its because of the diatoms. The growth is fine i think.

I started with 2x 9000k bulbs, iíve changed these out to 2x 6000k the colour of the plants were a lot better with this but overall it didnt look great so now i have 1x6000k and 1x 9000k.

Let me know what you think.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Algae Grower

wow stunning build and your planning has paid off, hats off to you mate :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
CPD
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannngggg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I realy like what you are using for the light holder you can raise it up or down right, and the scape looks awsome

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode