End of an era: Flooded Forest journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 261 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
End of an era: Flooded Forest journal

Update 4/3: Here are a couple full tank shots. 12/07 - 4/08
Stand and specs are here. Read on through the journal if you're bored.

Got a free 65gl tank and driftwood from some old lady's back yard, will make a great grow out for my angelfish. The plan is an SA biotope (edit 12/29; that's no longer the case and it never really happened here), but I'll likely be using non-region specific species here and there for whatever reason, so it'll be more of an SA interpretation, probably not a very good one at that, I'd rather not have a substrate of mud and dead leaves and I'm sure there are no play-sand valleys lined with purple rocks in SA.

First a few inches of Eco that was payed for with lfs gift cards, driftwood, and 20lbs of rock the lfs guy called jasmine.

Now 1 to 3 inches of SMS, sand in the center, both covered with mulm from a filter sponge. *Update/Warning: SMS next to sand is super messy, it's much lighter than sand.

Next I'll start adding stems.

Last edited by jaidexl; 10-12-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 261 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 04:17 PM

PTrader: (16/94%)
I really like your lay out but I don't like how the driftwood looks like.
post #3 of 261 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you Finch_man, I agree about the wood. The tank and wood were freebies, so I'm doing what I can, was very aggravating at first but I'm learning to be less critical. I'm hoping it'll pull together more after the layout is complete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jaidexl; 12-29-2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typos

post #4 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've come close to ripping the driftwood out of this one, but I decided to finish the idea I had first for the experience then rip it up later. The tank cycled in 12 days with the help of running it's Cascade1000 on my 30gl for a month, and using my nasty tapwater (amm 2ppm, nI 5ppm, nA 5ppm) to fishless cycle it. By day 11 nitrites dropped to .25ppm and ammonia 0ppm, I added an SAE, the next day nitrite was at 0ppm, the next week added angelfish and so on.
Anyway, here are some shots before removing starter plants. Vals will go in the back and I'll have replanted pics when everything comes in the mail. Tried to use the Chrome color setting on my new fuji and it wrecked the exposure on the second pic, but who needs it with starters in the tank.

Start

One month. I put a lot of starters behind the wood, but for some reason they didn't really grow regardless of having the light towards the back 70% of the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jaidexl; 07-25-2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fixed exposure
post #5 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Your plants and everything look great but I have to say it; for some reason that piece of driftwood suggests to me some prehistoric creature hovering over a stream!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Casty
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
Your plants and everything look great but I have to say it; for some reason that piece of driftwood suggests to me some prehistoric creature hovering over a stream!
http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/flint/images/mammoth.jpg

post #7 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Looks great. The wood is a little unique to say the least lol. Very nice though non the less.

post #8 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Nope. Don't think so. More of a saurid of some sort. It's almost rorschach in a way!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looking good. I suggest putting some long stems back in the corner behind the wood, make that part tall height, the wood is already medium and the plants in front low, will look good I think.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that angelfish(?) is really nice looking!
post #10 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
That's funny, believe it or not I call it "the elephant wood", lol.

Thanks for looking, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapingGnome View Post
Oh yeah, that angelfish(?) is really nice looking!
Thanks. Your right, that's Spike the anglfish, he's our bad apple. He's in with an SAE, a rubber nose and ten black neons. I have ten rainbow tetras (Nematobrycon lacortei) on the way and might put some apistos or rams in there.

Last edited by jaidexl; 06-03-2007 at 09:13 PM.
post #11 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
that wood is very unique. I like it alot.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #12 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Ryzilla.

Added some ET near the rocks, not sure if it clashes with the micro sword. Just finished planting tons of Valisneria nana. Tying down Peacock moss under water is no small feat!

Big thanks to all the members here and at APC that hooked it up in the swap and shop.

Last edited by jaidexl; 06-30-2007 at 04:23 AM.
post #13 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Completely AWESOME tank. Love the wood, love the contrast, the sand, the mix of stones. Just a gorgeous tank. Makes me want to throw my 30G out in the driveway!
________
MARIJUANA SEEDS

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.
post #14 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdon1md View Post
Makes me want to throw my 30G out in the driveway!
LOL, I know exactly what you mean, but your compliment might keep mine from flying out the window a little longer. Thanks!

post #15 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
I would add some more A. reineckii just to the left of the stems you have now, this would draw the eye slightly from the wood.

I personaly love the woods look

Tags
angelfish, diatoms, hardscape, pathway, soilmaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode