the 29 to 55 transition - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
the 29 to 55 transition

I was running two tanks, a 29 full of plants that had been a bit neglected over the years since it pretty much ran itself, and a 55 with Mbuna Cichlids.

I like the planted tank more than the Cichlid tank. The only plants that didn't get eaten/dragged around were hornwort and java moss. The planted tank had so many different species of things in it, with a lot of plants, many inverts, any different fish, with things hiding and later appearing - it was more interesting and fun to watch.

The 29 had a CF fixture I'd built that took some older square pin bulbs that were getting harder to find and more expensive. So when the bulb finally burnt out I decided to go down to one tank, converting the 55 to a fairly low tech planted tank. Low light. No CO2. Easy plants. I am adding Excel to give the plants a bit of extra carbon and give them an edge over algae. The 55 is a bit over-filtered since it was a Cichlid tank with a Penguin Emperor 400 and an Eheim canister. It had an Emperor 280 on it as well (overfiltration is good for Cichlids), but I pulled that.

The 29 had a lot of driftwood in it that I moved into the 55. Here we are shortly after moving everything over. I basically set up a driftwood wall with anubias on it, with a few java ferns and hunks of java moss throughout. A couple crypts in the gravel below.

All low light plants, so I had a Coralife Aqualight T5NO on it at this point.

The Planted Tank - Aug. 24

I added back the original fixture which has a T8 GE Plant And Aquarium bulb in it. It put some more PAR in there and warmed up the light, the T5 bulbs were pretty cool. With the wood soaking longer, there's some more peat staining as well.

Now I've got it set up now with more plants. Added water sprite, some dwarf sag, pygmy chain swords, and some bolbitis (that's not really taking off). Also have some Bacopa monnieri on the sides and some hornwort that has a mind of its own. Also added more Crypts. The substrate is just plain aquarium gravel with some fluorite mixed in with root tabs for some plants.

The Planted Tank - Oct. 7

The current inhabitants are some Glow light Tetras, Neon Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Rams Horn Snails, Pond Snails, MTS, and a bristlenose.

Last edited by fisheye; 10-08-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added filtration, other plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are things in their most recent state, moved wood around and added some Cabomba to fill in the back more.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a detail of the left side with the subwassertang:

My RCS and Amano shrimp were all on the right side

Cabomba, Water Sprite, some Hornwort, and Bacopa (mostly monnieri, some another species) in the back. Java moss, Java fern, and Anubias barteri var. nana all over the wood. The precious Subwassertang clump in the lower front to the right of center touching the driftwood (really hoping this does well). In the substrate Dwarf Saggitaria, a pygmy chain sword, and one Cryptocoryne wendtii to the right. I got the Subwassertang, pygmy chain sword, and bacopa from the deeply kind mosspearl in a RAOK.

Also neon tetras, glo-light tetras, and black neon tetras swimming around adding fertilizer for the plants.

Last edited by fisheye; 10-13-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added plant list

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank has gown in a good bit now. The subwassertang is turning into a nice clump (and bits are forming other clumps in other spots), the Crypts are coming in nicely, and the chain swords and dwarf sags in the foreground are coming in. The moss is taking over all over, I have to pick it out of the sags and chain swords since it'd take over the substrate if it could. The cabomba isn't really taking off, though some of the Pennywort is really happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mossy_tank.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	239001  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode