The Many Lives of my 55g - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
great riparium

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
I love the textures on your riparium as a whole. I could use a new plant with a different leaf shape. The little red flower add a nice accent and the dark green of the alocasia is great, too.

How do you keep your aluminum plant short? I pinch the tips but it seems like before I know it they are a foot tall and leggy.
I don't... Haha they're getting huge! Just keep adjusting the lights do in not burning leaf tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
great riparium
Thank you ^^

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #153 of 222 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Never ending plan growth!!!

My plants just don't stop growing taller! The Syngonium's tallest new (still unopened) leaf is at 20" above the tank rim!!! The Alocosia polly new leaf is 90% unfolded and very waxy/shiny. The plant also has two small sprouts at the base that will be new plants eventually(not pictured sorry)! The pothos is being a beast as well as the domino peace lily and anthurium.
All the fish are doing well.. the Madagascar is a little stinker and found out I dump in food for the cories on the left side while I feed the, the angel, and barbs on the right.. so now the rainbowfish likes to go to the other feeding spot and hog all that food =.=
In others news.. DAMN my nitrates are almost 0ppm! the hue from the test makes me think its 1-2ppm (or my lighting in here sucks and its really 0). If that's the case I may rip out the aquatic plants since they're the slowest growing and get to raise the lights more. Really hoping to have the hubby build a custom stand for the 55 so we can lower it and enjoy the plans more. The cabinet its on now makes me have to go tip toes or right against the tank to see the surface of the water.

I'm a little worried about the silicone in the 5g, I did not redo it like the 20 and 10g.. and I am noticing.. air bubbles IN the silicone O.O wtf where did those come from and how did they get there.. will popping them compromise the hold?!? I'm not horrified of a 55g flash flood x.x do not want!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #154 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

flowers and fat [censor]s

Need to get another fts but for now.. flowers!
New bloom (spathe) on spathiphyllum "domino' (peace lily)

Old and new bloom on anthurium + a new bloom just starting to sprout

Ok moving on.. my angelfish, CarmelYumYum (husband named her), was an absolute pig yesterday at lunch (brine shrimp on the menu) for some reason the cherry barbs seemed.. preoccupied down behind the driftwood *que Gunther music*.. I thought I got their attention so I started putting the food in.. but they didn't come up, and the rainbow fish loves her new little 'special' spot that's suppose to be for cories so Carmel hogged a good 85-90% of the food.. that was 2/3 of a block you pig!!! After I tried getting a head on photo of her to either show my husband just how fat she got or to be her last photo in case she exploded (she didn't surprisingly). But she was all like "NO! You can't show anyone how fat I am!" and kept turning ever time I got a head on view and tried to snap a shot.. well I'm still gonna show how fat you got you little [censor] so there!
behold the non slender angelfish!.. and my nerite snail egg covered tank >.<

~
~
~
~
post #155 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

They've bloomed

The flowers I posted about early in the month are open. The peace lily spathe is touch gin the light! The second anthurium bloom is even taller than the first.

Nothing else really new with the tank, everyone is still in there, CarmelYumYum is still growing, wood is still fungus covered.. mts are still waaaay overpopulated... need to sell another batch off.

~
~
~
~
post #156 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bye Bye GhostWood

So I got sick of the mold/fungus mess that NEVER went away and after noticing my fish were gasping at the surface and not too interested in eating it was time to get it out.
I put the old red cedar back in that use to be with my pleco and tossed the quarantine pvc hides in until I find more wood.
Did a 50% water change or more and everyone seems better today. I tested yesterday before the change-everything was 0ppm. Today I have a little nitrate (10ppm) but thats what my tap has + i took out the submerged plants so I suspected a little nitrates but no ammonia or nitrite readings thankfully.
The wood smelled like rotten eggs and was quite nasty. Took it outside and scrubbed 'em off in the bucket I originally boiled them in, water got so barn and nasty coudln't seen 1" down in it >.< Wood still smelled after but letting it dry out then figure out if I want to wash it again or what..
Sadly I'll have to do a canister cleaning soon as water flow is about 1/2 what I want but ugh don't want to do yet.. just dealt with one nasty smell yesterday don't need mulm covered 'goodness' today...sometime during the week or next weekend I'll get it..
Holy [censor] did the pothos get long! One of the vines is nearly 15' long now x.x
Peace lily and anthurium have new blooms started.
No photos to prove it but CarmelYumYum either gets too focused on food to notice, or tolerates it because she's happy to have food but I've been able to 'pet' her dorsal fin a few times ^^

Anyways photo time!

~
~
~
~
post #157 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The good, the bad, adn the plantly

So update time..

Good news: confirmed CarmelYumYum is indeed female. As the only angelfish in teh tank she laid eggs on the intake pip on the right side of the tank after the old wood was removed.
Bad News: CarmelYumYum, an angelfish, laid eggs in a tank and went into protective cichlid parent mode which mean no other fish on that half of the tank and her attacking me if I went in.

After 48+ hours I wasn't happy with the temperament change and ended up going in with a tooth brush, pushing off all the unfertilized eggs (no male after all), and siphoning them up with a quick water change. Day after she was back to normal. Hopefully she doesn't try doing the egg thing again. I'd hoped she's just eat them since they were unfertilized but first time trying so who knows..

Plant news: The tank has 2 new plants on the right side, purple queen (pallida) and marble queen (pothos). Hope they acclimate well, really love the contrast they give.

Guarding (morning after eggs were first seen.)

Carmel: "GTFO!" (taken next morning)

Plants!

~
~
~
~
post #158 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

More flowers!

The purple queen has only been on the tank for 5 days I think? And already has a purple-pink bloom!

~
~
~
~
post #159 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Disaster strikes!

The 55g sprung a leek on Saturday, when we were expecting company for dinner.. so I spend the whole afternoon and evening frantically bucketing and transitioning tank water to a 40g breeder I had (planned to use for a vivarium) and catching fish. The table the 40g was put on is too low to run the canister filter which my husband and I leanred after a few hours of fighting it >.< No lights for the plants but slapped them onto the 40g so they don't dry out (just hope they don't die from 4-5 days without proper lighting)... Slapped an old aquaclear 70 with some canister filter media on the 40g to keep from having too much ammonia and nitrites.
Determined the leak was a at the bottom of the tank as there was algae on the outside of the glass between glass and black trim on the right side wall.. I'd also noticed bubbled forming in the silicone several weeks ago, not sure if that was caused from the separation of silicone and glass that caused the eventual leak.
Spent all of yesterday de-siliconing the 55g.. my fingers are so raw and back so sore! Hubby will re-silione the tank today and afer 36-48 hour cure we'll test its hold for 24 hours.. then if that all works we'll be putting a wood frame around the base for exta support.. and then the tank will go on the low table the 40g is on now (that'll be fun to juggle shuffling around >.<) and I'll probalby switch to a sponge filter as I am throughly sick of priming canisters .. might sell off the monster canister and the spare media box for cheap...

So far I think all the fish are alive (otos are hiding in the pvc hides) but no one looks stressed or gasping for air at least. Wish us luck getting the 55g resealed!

here is the last tank photo, taken about 3 days before the disaster..

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 05-25-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added photo
post #160 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yikes! So sorry to hear that. I hope the repair goes well.
post #161 of 222 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaStars View Post
Yikes! So sorry to hear that. I hope the repair goes well.
So far so good.
The fish appear to be alright, no high ammonia or nitrites thankfully. Going to try filling the 55g tomorrow if it looks ready to test (silicone appears dried and cured-not stinking up the tank).

~
~
~
~
post #162 of 222 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok its been over a week since the leak. The old silicone was scraped off, new (large amounts) were put in and allowed to cure for over 72 hours, then a 36-48 hours leak test-passed... Yesterday I spent the whole day draining the temp tank 40 breeder) catching fish, removing plants, draining 55g (thankfully a set and forget with siphon fed to a drain), then play musical tanks/tables and shuffle stuff around *hubby was a huge help here). Set up the 55g on its new lower coffee table and put sand int..then spent about 2 hours adding and removing water trying to clean sand before lower the black background, putting in hardwood and hides, adding plants, filters, and heater, and then finally drip acclimating the fish while we made and ate dinner.
Thankfully the tank is still well today (had a bad dream about a tank with the front right lower rim being badly damaged and pouring out water). For the week being slightly displaced all the first survived as well as plants.. though the purple queen is looking rater pathetic.. hoping it bounces back! The marble queen is finally starting to put out new leaves and the Anthurium has a lot of new bloom shoots started (counted 4 or 5 yesterday + the 2 already opened up!). I scraped all the riccia off the floating trellises and am considering adding a moss to the rafts/planters to hide the foam/media.

The female nerite is a lil 'where's waldo' of a snail... in the 55g i didn't see her since I rescaped with the red cedar... when i took the wood out I found her lodged in a hole on the underside of it. When I emptied the 40g breeder temp tank I again could not find her! Ended up crawling on the floor looking everywhere.. checked the hides and back/undersides of planters.. nope.. finally felt around the inner top black trim of the tank and *pop! tink tink* there she was! Put her in the 55g with the rest after a quick acclimation.. no clue where she's gone to hide now.. don't care as long as she doesn't cover the nice cedar in more freaking eggs..

Peace lily "domino" (mis-sold as "marble sword"-not a sword plant).. I was going to split it as its two large plants but when i took it out of the planter the roots held ALL the media in place... decided not to mess with it and left it whole.

The Syngonium (aka arrowhead) is very lanky and on the temp tank it was tilted which the stem quickly corrected for max lighting.. now all the leaves are pointing to the side/down.. decided to leave it off the riparium and slap it in some soil. Thinking about finding its more white relative to stick on the riparium for more contrast.

I find myself wanting to get rid of the barbs, angel, and rainbowfish and jut get a bunch more otos and false julli cory.. I enjoy watchmaking them swim around more than the others.. is that weird?

~
~
~
~
post #163 of 222 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Slight mod...

Syngonium leaves/stems are finally mostly upright, also grabs a peace lily at a grocery store (kinda hope it turns into a 3' giant). I also removed and potted the dwarf mondo grass from my 20g long.. its roots turned black in the planter O.o dunno wtf was up with that but snipped the black parts off and trying it in soil for now. And I pulled some of the pothos off the tank rim to wrap around some simple ghostwood branches (didn't want to use any that stuck out and could stab someone). Roots are still in the tank to absorb nitrates.. Pardon the 2 barren stocks in the HOB, one of the vines lost leaves where it was behind the riparium plants so snipped those off.. going to see if they grow some more. Purple queen lower portion is wily but has new healthy growth on top. Anthurium is working over time getting its blooms up to visible height.
I really want to go crazy and add more fish but amusingly this tank is more like a pond now (view from above rather than front glass pane).
On a side note, the branches now in front of the 55g were originally intended for my 40g vivarium but decided to go with my manzanita branches in there instead. All the potted plants will be watered with removed tank water on water change day ^^

I want to go crazy and put a giant black mat behind the tank that is 2x as tall/wide >.>'''
Can't wait for the sponge filter to cycle so I can rip that HOB off.. its my retired one that use to b on the 20g long (had brought from a member on here for a great price)... I love that its meant for up to 60g tanks but it doesn't properly fit over the black plastic trim.. really had to fight it to get the intake tube lined up with the impeller ....

~
~
~
~
post #164 of 222 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Running out of Room!!

Soo went a bit over board and bought several new plants Friday and Saturday for the 55g.
Chinese ever green

Prayer plant

Rumex sanguineus and Scirpus cernuus

And this [censor] that I've tried twice to order from someone on here but it always arrived melted/mush and unsalvageable. Oplismenus basket grass!

The last 3 came from an outdoor goldfish pond at a garden center. Because they were outside (unlike all my other plants which come from indoor garden sections) I am wary of putting them on immediate as there are plenty of little crawly nibbly bugs I don't want to risk introducing to the system. So for now they're outside in buckets of dechlorinated water (and rain water) until I can get some potassium permanganate-a commonly used item to disinfect pond plants that won't kill them or fish.

I went to 2 nurseries and both recommended a 3rd thats about an hours drive off for more pond selection (sad that close and far ones don't have the potassium permanganate so I had to order it off ebay) and though I don't really have any room left I'm tempted to make the drive and see what all the hub-bub is about at the other place.

Anyways for now the prayer plant and Chinese evergreen are on the 55. The purple queen has not been doing so well, all the old roots melted and 1/2 the stems. Hoping it pulls through as I think I see some new root nubs starting... anyways the 55g as of today:

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 06-22-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos
post #165 of 222 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I remember prayer plants, my mom had those in pots when I was a kid. Those plants close their leave a night if I remember correctly.

I like the Rumex. I will add this to my wish list lol.

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
55 gallon planted tank, journal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode