looking for advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
looking for advice

what do you think? it's my first honest attempt at a planted aquarium...looking for spare CO2 parts if anyone has any...

[img=https://www.plantedtank.net/imagehosting/images/tb_upload/994.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I think overall, its very peaceful. The rock on the left catches my eye too much.....i would take it out or move it. The stems are suffering from leggy look because there isnt enough of them. Let them hit the surface and just chop them down.....they will grow back bushy. You can sell the tops or replant near the roots to fill things in faster.

Hope this helps

Local to you,

jB
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
I would put in a black or dark blue background as it will make some of your plants colors really pop out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Agreed, Nothing ruins a tank more than seeing wires and filter tubes hanging in it. I've seen a lot of tanks that look really good, but have inlet and outlet tubes, a heater, a thermometer, etc hanging in the tank, with no background so you can see Everything. If I wanted to look at a hardware store behind a fish tank I'd go ask the local hardware store if I could install an aquarium in their showroom window.

I like it a lot otherwise.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Those are great ideas. I've often thought of putting something behind to block that stuff. Through all the recent battles with algae, I kind of forgot.

The stem plants are rather new. I'm still rather nervous of pruning. How far do you cut back when pruning? Cut back 2/3 or 1/2 of the growth?

I'd like to add some fish, but I've not been so good at chosing. I seem to get fish that have too much of a bio load. Any suggestions? I was considering looking for some dwarf cichlids, or maybe a few schools of tetras. I'm worried about it though. I don't want to have another algae problem on my hands.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 12:06 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks nice. Ditto on the dark background....I recently put up black sandpaper behind my 10g and it was a 300% improvement

I would trim down the moss on the peice of wood, and attached that fern. Then move it to the right to cover up the filter outlet & heater. Spreading the 3 larger rocks throughout the tank, not just hte left side, whichc would help balance things.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

do you mean move the wood in front of the outlet and heater? Will the heater be problem if its touching the wood?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode