29 gallon endler tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 gallon endler tank

'ello all! My 29 gallon has finally acquired fish - 2 pairs of endlers! Unfortunately one of the 'pairs' might actually be two males...

In any case, the four fish are doing well and were courting within seconds of being introduced to the tank. I don't have any pictures of the tank yet but will get some on as it develops. Ciao!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
likely the female is already pregnant. What kind of endlers did you get?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Got them from an ebay vendor. I do not know what the strain is called, but they are the purebred descendants of a single pair of class N endlers, so they do not have any poecilia reticulata (I.E common guppy) in them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I sure do hope the female is pregnant...4 fish that are not even 1 inch long yet appear quite underwhelming in a 29 gallon. Up close, the males have some pretty spectacular coloring, but it seems to vary somewhat - the smallest one has very bright green, red, black, and even a purple sheen; the next smallest male has somewhat fainter green: and the largest one has no green or red whatsoever and was initially mistaken for a female until I spotted a gondopium on it. Might smaller endlers be more dominant?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To update the tank's progress; I still have the three males and lone female. Oddly, she does not seem to have dropped any fry yet...can female endlers miscarry from being harried by males too much? In any case, I will be buying more endlers from the same seller soon, and will specifically ask for an all-female order. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

In other news, my five gallons set up and ready for fish and/or inverts! Would a colony of Heterandria Formosa do well in that tank? Will shrimp do well with endlers in the 29 gallon were I to introduce them? Would the Formosa do well with the endlers?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know. I've got two females and a male and the girls sure look pregnant, very pregnant. But they just keep going on looking pregnant and no fry. It is odd.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I know the feeling, but I have a 40B tank and 10ish pairs of N class Orchid Endlers. I swear one of the females came pregnant but still no fry and I've had them nearly 3 weeks I have a few females that look "fat" and I'm not over feeding. The males are swimming sideways doing their "seizure" like dances all the time. I shouldn't hurry them since they will likely take over the tank soon enough lol

I'm also putting in a group of Celesital Pearl Danios, have 6 corydora habrosus, a couple otos, shrimp, and snails...but mostly I think the Endlers will reign the tank unless the CPD's breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
I sure do hope the female is pregnant...4 fish that are not even 1 inch long yet appear quite underwhelming in a 29 gallon. Up close, the males have some pretty spectacular coloring, but it seems to vary somewhat - the smallest one has very bright green, red, black, and even a purple sheen; the next smallest male has somewhat fainter green: and the largest one has no green or red whatsoever and was initially mistaken for a female until I spotted a gondopium on it. Might smaller endlers be more dominant?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
I know the feeling, but I have a 40B tank and 10ish pairs of N class Orchid Endlers. I swear one of the females came pregnant but still no fry and I've had them nearly 3 weeks I have a few females that look "fat" and I'm not over feeding. The males are swimming sideways doing their "seizure" like dances all the time. I shouldn't hurry them since they will likely take over the tank soon enough lol

I'm also putting in a group of Celesital Pearl Danios, have 6 corydora habrosus, a couple otos, shrimp, and snails...but mostly I think the Endlers will reign the tank unless the CPD's breed.

Are you hoping the danios will eat the baby endlers when you do have some?

And putting shrimp with endlers is fine if you're not a fan of baby shrimp.

to OP - it is possible she is stressed, or water quality is causing her to not produce offsprings. Also possible they are so heavily inbred that there are issues with the fry and they are eating them due to issues. Probably better to order females of same type from a different place. You want new blood, and without paperwork proof you can't claim N class anyways.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I never said they were N class, and neither did he...just that they were the descendants of N class endlers.
I understand the point about the inbreeding, though. I think I will likely get stock from another seller just to increase the genetic diversity. I doubt water quality is the issue - not only is it a 29 gallon with only four 1" fish in it at the moment, but it is a 29 gallon with dozens of times as much plant mass as there is fish mass. Not planted to the brim by any means, but still dense.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ah I love endlers! I had a few in my edge but a tank with schools of them would be really cool! Most people in my area didn't know what they were and petco sells them as cobra endler guppies and they can intermix with other breeds so no bueno for a breeding tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode