Here is a picture right before the re-start of my 90 gallon. Unfortunately a lot of the pics at the start of the thread had a white balance set for cloudy, so some of pics are too warm/yellow. But you'll get the idea...
Here is the tank after the draining is almost complete. There is a lot of Aqua Soil which I have saved, but I'm not sure if I'll use it. Maybe??
Next I scrubbed, then bleached the tank. I ran a sterilizing solution of bleach for a day. Then I filled and rinsed it about four times - with a lot of prime and water for a couple of days. Of course, first I had moved fish and about 12 Amano shrimp and some plants into a trash can for five days with a filter running. Last, I added a thin layer of peat moss, then about 9-10 bags of well rinsed flourite. I have some left over from 11 bags. I borrowed media for the filter from another of my established tank's filter, as well as some mulm.
Within two days after the final refilling, I had all the inhabitants back in the tank, except for a trio of Hill Stream loaches, 13 Amano shrimp, and a few Otos. Not enough algae for them to eat yet... One cool thing is I found a few fish alive when clearing the tank that I hadn't spotted for over a year - two of three Kuhulii loaches. And they were fat.
Its starting to stabilize now. I am thinking of moving the Manzanita out to my 65 gallon, once I find some rocks. I have some more fissidens and some crypts and a few other plants on the way. But I like seeing Cyperus helferi on both corners of a tank.
I didn't move the Manzanita yet. I'm waiting to stabilizing this tank and have a lot of fast growers in there for the time being. Fish are fine and got very excited with the new spread.
Some of the Crypt wendtii green x-tall melted, but are already throwing up new leaves. I didn't bleach dip them nor the Cyperus helferi, which came from my 65 gallon. I have some red algae rearing its head, but I'm going to take it real easy on ferts for a while and hope it goes away with enough stems in there.
I definately killed a Blyxa aubertii and all my L. aromatica with a bleach dip. And my Hygrophila sp. "Pantanal Wavy" and Hygrophila balsalmica did not like 30 seconds in a 1:20 ratio of bleach/water dip. But both survived, barely.
Not much different, here is a full shot of the re-start 90 gallon which has been up for a little over a week...
And here is a little closer view. You can notice the wood got quite a bleaching. The piece on the right was barely bleached a month before to kill some clado it had on it (from my 65 gallon) so that is why its darker. The main root burl is starting to darken and get a bit of green algae on it.
I have some shots of the empty tank with bleach solution I'll add later. They are on a computer at my office.