60 Gallon Cube Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60 Gallon Cube Build

I picked up the 60 gallon rimless cube from member on a local forum a few weeks ago. It is a Deep Blue Professional reef ready cube with low iron glass and a corner overflow. It is on black Marineland Ventura stand that is very nice all wood stand.
The tank is 24"x24"x24" and will be equally viewed from two sides, so I am trying to keep that in mind while designing everything. I am planning another planted freshwater tank, most likely with either South American or Central American freshwater fish. I have a Finnex Ray2 that came with, I am really impressed with just how bright this aquarium is. I am planning on running pressurized CO2 on this tank. Yes, I am running an overflow and CO2. To minimize off gassing I am running a canister filter plumbed through the drilled overflow. Because this is a closed system I won't have the loss of CO2 like a sump would. I would gain the fixed water level and surface skimming the overflow provides. I do lose some of the benefits of the sump such as easy access. I am planning on hiding the heater in the overflow. The main issue will be keeping a close eye on evaporation and making sure the water level in the overflow does not drop below the intake of the canister.
After I picked it up. I'm a big fan of rimless, it just looks so clean. I also won't have any filter hardware showing as it is all plumbed through the overflow.

Running a Fluval 406. I think I will get sufficient filtration from this, but I'll see if I need to add anything for water movement.

Initially plumbing is setup and I am testing for leaks. After a few hours there are no leaks, but there will be another 18" of water putting pressure on the entire system. The output is dual Loc Line. I am not totally sure at what height I will be running the standpipe for the intake, as I don't need to worry about matching flow rates and noise as I am running a closed system.

I will be using Eco Complete for substrate. I have four and half 20lbs bags to use right now. I am planning on having it slope up towards the overflow. To help retain the slope I am using egg crate. I have two pieces of driftwood currently They are a bit short for this tank, but I'll have to see if I can source anything else soon.

This tank will be replacing another one of my current tanks. So I will most likely be moving over all my cardinal and rummy nose tetras from my 25 gallon tall aquarium to this aquarium. I would love to add a pair of discus, but I am worried about the number of water changes they require. I hear anywhere from daily water changes to twice a week. Currently I do weekly water changes on Sundays, but sometimes will have to extend that. Also looking at angelfish, but I would prefer the discus and would like to hear more opinions considering this will be a fairly heavily planted tank.
Let me know what you think and any recommendations you might have for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
cool!! Do you think the 1 ray 2 will be enough light? 24 inches is pretty deep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK club #50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am concerned somewhat about the amount of light from the single ray2 and might purchase another Finnex LED light to supplement it. I have a dual t5 fixture I could supplement in the meantime from the 25 gallon tall I am breaking down.

Right now I think I have hit the max on number of aqauriums my wife can deal with. So I'm sticking with upgrading them from here on out.
So the biggest issue is the game of musical chairs/aquariums I am trying to orchestrate. This tank is going in my great room as it complements the 150 gallon (24"x48"x30"tall) with a similar black stand on the other side of the cut out that opens to the kitchen. Currently there is a 20 gallon long there with Kribensis. I'll be moving that upstairs where the 25 tall is currently setup. All the fish (cardinal and rummy nose tetras will move to the new tank) and most of plants as well (rotala indicus, amazon frogbit (I've never seen anyone else with this large of amazon frogbit), pennywort, dwarf hair grass, and java fern). Most likely some of plants will go elsewhere, or to some of my smaller tanks that are waiting to be setup.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT!
Following this as I just set up the same sized tank.
I have a feeling a single Ray 2 will not be enough as I get ~24 PAR at substrate from 4*t5ho.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

datsun,
I also see you are in columbus. I used to live in dublin but now live in canton. I used to love to go into aquarium adventure store is it still open? That was a nice fish store and usually had a good healthly selection, or at least they did 5 years ago.

RAOK club #50

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Carpalstunna

Aquarium Adventure is still open for sure. Fairly expensive still, but they're worth the price and occassionally have good sales. I got that Fluval 406 for $140 or so the other week.

I interned for a small company in North Canton several years ago and have quite a bit of family in the area. I personally prefer Columbus. Are there any good shops up that way. I know towards Cleveland there are quite a few store I would like to check out.

If you are free this Saturday the local fish club is holding their auction. You can get some amazing deals on some awesome fish and plants.

OVT,
I felt like I would be short in the amount of light. I would like to keep with another Finnex product to match aesthetically. Should I just keep it balanced with another Ray2 or would a FugeRay or MonsterRay complement it better?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunissan28 View Post
Carpalstunna

Aquarium Adventure is still open for sure. Fairly expensive still, but they're worth the price and occassionally have good sales. I got that Fluval 406 for $140 or so the other week.

I interned for a small company in North Canton several years ago and have quite a bit of family in the area. I personally prefer Columbus. Are there any good shops up that way. I know towards Cleveland there are quite a few store I would like to check out.

If you are free this Saturday the local fish club is holding their auction. You can get some amazing deals on some awesome fish and plants.

OVT,
I felt like I would be short in the amount of light. I would like to keep with another Finnex product to match aesthetically. Should I just keep it balanced with another Ray2 or would a FugeRay or MonsterRay complement it better?
oh ya they arent cheap but they usually have pretty healthy stock. I also prefered columbus, but work and family brought me back. I have found NO good stores up here but havent ventured into cleveland on the search much.

I would come down to the auction but Im gonna be in NYC. I am in shopping mode again to set up a new tank so I am on the hunt for stuff. Seriously considering 2 finnex ray 2 for my 55 gallon.

RAOK club #50

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
This sounds awesome. Do you have a link?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

http://www.columbusfishclub.org/auction_fall.php

Here you go for our local auction. If external linking to this is not allowable, I apologize and I will remove it.

Did not get a chance to work on the new aquarium other than sizing the return and Loc Line.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
IMHO, at least another Ray 2 for sure. Based on the plants and colors you want, ANOTHER MonsterRay in the middle might be in order.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=383889

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's some great information. I had never seen the PAR value with combination. I will go ahead and order another Ray2. Once I have it up and running I will keep the Monster Ray in mind as some of colors are amazing in that thread.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is finally in place. Trying to juggle my job, graduate school, and my mother-in-law visiting put a delay on setting things up.

I used three and half bags of Eco-complete and have one more leftover for other projects. Since this will be viewed from two sides equally I sloped the substrate to the back corner with the overflow.

By chance I stopped by my lfs right when the plants were delivered, so the HC was in prime condition.

Should I spread it into smaller lumps?

The top is currently saran wrapped to hold in moisture.

This brings me to where I need some help. This is my first aquarium with CO2. I received the following in a trade and would like to know what I can use and what else I will need to purchase.

I appear to have a Mr Aqua MA 002 diffuser and MA 001 Glass Bubble Counter

A glass drop checker (4dkh bottle not shown)

And then this tank, regulator and solenoid.

The tank is empty, not sure on if the regulator works, the solenoid sounds likes it works when I plug it in. I don't see needle valve. I have one check valve and no tubing.

Any recommendations on how to make this work for this 60 gallon cube will be appreciated, and I am open to buying all new if necessary.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Nice tank and setup so far. That co2 tank and regulator looks vintage. I wouldn't know how to inspect it properly for safety. You probably should have a pro look at it and pressure test it or something.

When in doubt, I'd just buy a new co2 system. Like a GLA or Aquatek would be good.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think the HC has taken root and seems to be growing ever so slightly now. I have two Finnex Ray2s on there this week. They really are so much brighter than the current satellite plus I have on another tank.

I did end up purchasing a new regulator/solenoid setup as I was a bit worried about accuracy with the current one. I will probably use the older one on a smaller setup with a paintball tank as it already appears to have some type of adapter
(though it may be a European thread to CGA 320 adapter).

I could not find anywhere close by that fills CO2 outside of M-F 8-5 so my wife graciously had it filled for me even though she was afraid it would explode the entire time she was driving with it. I got it filled at ABCO - they do fire protective systems and are located over by 161 in Westerville. They were very nice to my wife and she was able to use a fire extinguisher. I'm guessing they don't get a whole lot of ladies visiting.

I'm planning on adding some of the plants I purchased on the auction tonight and flooding the tank. I really like how the blyxa japonica is looking and it should really flourish with CO2.

Fish wise I can not wait to add the angelfish to this and get them out of the quarantine tank. They seem to have amazing personalities.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got it all filled tonight. Only one section of HC did not stay rooted. I'm pretty happy with how it looks right now. I'm hoping it cycles quickly as the filter has already been running for over two weeks, but only in the overflow chamber.

Some items I still need to address are adding a prefilter over the intake as I don't want any fish getting pulled in if they make it into the overflow box. I need to fix how much water is flowing through where the loc line outputs are as I would like to raise the water line more. Lastly I think I need a better diffuser. Right now it seems quite a bit it just making it to the surface.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode