Post Processing my images - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Post Processing my images

One of my hobbies is image post-processing. In PP you take your mediocre shots and try to make them more appealing. Some think that is cheating, I think it offers an amazing potential for improvement.

My weapon of choice is Photoshop, with its huge array of options to mess with images.

Let's take for example a picture of a cherry shrimp, taken with a point and shoot camera a while back:

First thing I always do is to crop away unnecessary space:

I notice the flatness of the image, along with a green-yellow cast by the fluorescent lights. Time to apply Auto-Levels! Often that results in ugly color casts, blown out highlights and such, in that case I go to Fade and reduce the effect, or change to Luminescence (which keeps the color hue).

Auto Levels, among other things, spreads out the white and black point of the image which gives us a better dynamic range, but it made the shrimp darker than I liked. Time to venture into curves, to brighten things up a bit.

The camera flash resulted in a lot of dirt reflecting from the front glass. Of course I should have cleaned before pulling out the camera, but oh well, here I come with PP. I applied a Dust & Scratches filter, with a 3 pixel radius, which gets rid of dust, scratches, and most details

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Using the history brush, I undo the filter damage on the shrimp body, restoring the details that we want to keep:

Time for some minor retouching... Using the healing brush, I got rid of some bigger white specks which Dust & Scratches didn't completely wipe out. Then I selected some of the overexposed leaves via Select Color, Feathered the selection, and used curves again to darken these areas a bit.

Finally, I noticed that the overall saturation was a bit too much for my taste, who likes fake-looking plastic shrimp anyway, so I went to Hue/Saturation and brought Saturation down by about 15 levels.

Questions or comments?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Wow, that's amazing!

I wish I knew how to work Photoshop.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
STICKY please

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
I always PP my photos. I have a prosumer level camera but for some reason my photos are always missing the vibrance and color that I see with my eyes. I usually resize, level a bit, play with the color balance, and sharpen. Nothing too drastic but I want the photograph to appear how I see it.

Occaisionally I use more drastic tools, but usually if I have to edit the phot much I feel it's of subpar qaulity and not worth working with.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
I wish I knew how to work Photoshop.
Nobody is born with PS skills. It is easy to learn, just takes time (which not everyone has or wants to invest).

Often, a fanzy-shmanzy frame will give your image the sophisticated looks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode