In the middle of a rework...pics updated 4-7...56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
In the middle of a rework...pics updated 4-7...56k warning

The following pics show how my tank looks now after selling/trading about 60 stems of the rotala at the right of the pic as well as about 15 of the crypts(much smaller than the one on the right, but still a large # of plants) and probably 10 small pieces(like the ones in the front) of L. card. I will be doing a trim of the current rotala and the Ludwig in the back right. I'm hoping the Hygro in the middle will begin to grow now that it has much more light. I desperately need something in the middle now. My question is what, other than the fact I got the blyxa into the tank a week ago from a purchase here) is causing the leaves to turn a redish color? Is it just transplant shock or a nutrient thing. I'm dosing at normal rates; Flourish, Excel, Trace, and Iron, as well as root tabs under them. Thanks for any advice and suggestions! Ben

Last edited by vollphann; 04-08-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: new pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've seen 19 views and have no replys. Please, I'm looking for both constructive criticism and thoughts of the blyxa issue. Thanks for any thoughts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Constructive criticism: I like how the tank looks, but gut-feel tells me those fish need a way bigger tank!

Blyxa issue: most likely lack of NO3 (nitrogen). With a tank full of plants and good lighting you need to dose macros: NPK (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium). Some say big fishies can provide the nitrogen, but me thinks that is not a good solution. Read up on macros.

On the other hand, if the Blyxa grows well, enjoy the reddish color... doesn't look bad anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ThanksWasser. I used to think the same about tank size, but I actually hade 3 more than I have now and they were happier then(no deaths for over a yr). I only started having deaths when I started trying to overhaul the tank. The tank is actually 42g, 24Lx20Dx20H. Thanks for the commentary and it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Oh, the Emerald Rainbows are spawning, they must not be too stressed.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Caveat, I haven't grow B. japonica yet (successfully). But I have grown B. aubertii which is similar. If its getting a lot of light it will turn sandy/red/orange and is way cool look. But seeing how you just got them, I bet it is adapting etc. By the looks of the tank, it doesn't look nutrient deficient to me. Those Rainbowfish can provide a lot of the macros N and P via, well you get the picture. But are you dosing any K?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, what was your issue with B. japonica, just curious. I've never tried any of it. My lighting is 195w...about 10hrs/day...I know that sounds like alot but some of the calculators I've used say I need even more for high light plants. I may need to invest in more timers to try different lighting combos.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I never really figured it out. It just didn't take in my 90 gallon and I never tried in my 65 gallon. Kind of limped along. But I had a red algae and a weird dust algae which was more of a nuisance than catastrophic. I just restarted with flourite this weekend. It might have needed a bit more light as the tank used to be fairly overgrown with Hyrgrophila sp. Pantanal wavy and H. balsamica and a lot of others grabbing a fair share of the light.

Its a ton brighter now. And my Rainbows and Clowns are totally jazzed with a scrubbed tank.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, is my tank just that uninteresting(tell me...I can take it)? I really would like feedback...you won't offend me; I promise. Anything...it looks great....it looks like crap...whatever! Thanks Ben
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

IMHO,its a really nice, inviting tank. I like the depth (20") and the enchanted forest feeling with the open area in the middle. The only thing I noticed that might distract is the spraybar. That and the mag cleaner could easily be yanked for a picture. But I never pull out mine, so what the heck. I think it is an unusal tank too, not your standard 48" fare. Plants look really healthy too and its a sweet tank!

The only thing is I think Rainbows are a bit happier in longer tanks since they are so active - flashing each other. Mine cruise back and forth the full four feet.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Technical error... my bad.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Shrink your pictures a bit so that it'll be easier to see the FTS so we can give feedback.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like the "wall of plants" look in your tank. But I ditto the comments about your fish. They need room to swim. They look beautiful btw!! Lovely colors!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think that the wall of plants on either side makes the tank look a bit cramped. It might work better in a long narrow tank like a 55g. But that's just my personal opinion. As for the blyxa, are you sure that's not aubertii? Looks more like the aubertii that I used to have than the pictures of japonica I've seen.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
nice plant growth. orangish red blyxa is normal in the center, that is how mine looks. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nus&spec=Blyxa
Some have problems with blyxa melting when they first get it. I didn't.

constructive criticisms: it looks like your tank is cut in half. I'd try and do something to bridge the two halves. It is almost like one side is an alternate dimension of the first with no connection. You could add a diagonal-horizontal drifwood unifying the tank and giving the eye something to look at.
Working with what you have, I'd move the dwarf lobelia (thanks again, lovely little plant!) into one 'field' on the center-left of the foreground and move that driftwood with java fern in the center-back to the center-right foreground kinda sticking out from behind the crypts. If that is really one big piece of driftwood, then nevermind. Find a nice rock or new wood for that same front-right placement (hint: use the peacock moss I sent you!). This will break up the symmetry too. I'd then move some of the stem plants behind the crypts to the back to get them 'out of your face' a little bit, create more depth, and cover up that cheezy background (no offense!). definitely leave the crypts where they are.
also, that tiger lily looks pretty unkempt. cut the surface leaves and maybe move it out of the corner. It looks 'thrown in' and doesn't fit as it is.

my $.02. take it, or give it some homeless guy who probably needs it more.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll try to put some smaller pics on tomorrow. I'll also try to get a different perspective on the tank. I actually have many fewer fish than I kept in it for the first 2 years. I think part of the problem is when I took the tank pic, they were all hudled at the back of the tank b/c I had just finished adjusting some plants. Looking at it right now it looks very empty to me. I also took care of the plant wall last night. I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I trimmed the rotala by half and started clipping the ludwig as well. The blyxa may be aub. variety, I just don't know. I'll have to look back at the thread I bought them from. I got them from Starccc, and when they came in they were a beautiful green. The reddish color isn't ugly, I just didn't know if its a sign of a problem. I am using higher light than what she had and that alone may be the diff. Most of my plants were pearling tonight, so things must not be too bad. I'm still working on the best dosing for this tank. Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode