Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Shumpei's 20cm Cube 2007

Hey just wanted to start a new thread on this

Tank Parameters
2 Gallons
ADA AS
Pressurized
Flourish Liquid Fertilizers (Almost the whole line of them)

Plants
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Eleocharis Parvula
Lemna Minor
Blyxa Japonica

Inhabitants

1 Wild bee shrimp
1 Domestic bee shrimp
minimum 12 domestic bee shrimp
many Cherry Shrimp
1 Otocinclus

Here's a link to the old thread, which has a link to the even older thread.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...tempt-2-a.html

Also took some macro shots...

And what does a Wild bee x Domestic bee =????

Domestic!!

I really enjoy the tank growing and becoming more bushier with plant mass. What I don't like is the BBA. It's under somewhat control, but it still exists and that's annoying...

Comments/criticism welcome!!!!!!!! If you hate it, then tell me! You don't have to tell me why, but it'd be nice

Haven't been able to rescape the blyxa yet. Scared it might do something bad to my baby bee shrimp. Maybe in Spring Break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 03-24-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: capitalized "c" on the word cube for title. and added parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
very nice, looking forward to see your future work
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 04:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Very Nice!!!

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Shumpei: It looks GREAT!!! I love it!! Very good job! Nice pictures too!

When did your bees have babies? That baby pic is adorable! I'm hoping mine are getting ready to breed. They are still young, but I got about 2 of them that are ready I think. I keep looking in my tank to check. LOL
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hehe I like the "Very Nice!"'s I'm getting :-D. Thanks everyone for the comments! I feel like I really accomplished something now lol. Although it probably looks exceptionally nicer because of the contrast that I created on photoshop :-D. It was a dark picture and I added some contrast. So the photo had contrast on it before hand. Bright pictures showed little contrast and didn't give the scape justice.

I got babies like two weeks ago? Maybe three. Lol. That was me a few weeks ago. Keep on checking for eggs. Then you keep looking for babies lol.

I remember there was a formula to find out the almost exact day the eggs will hatch for CRS created (or at least introduced) by silane at shrimpnow.com

I remeber it was 24 days for 25 degrees celcius. I took 25 days at 25 degrees celcius :-D.

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 03-24-2007 at 07:50 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
What camera did you use to take these lovely shots with?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Looks GREAT! The only little thing I would change would be to take that smooth gray rock out from the front left corner, just doesn't really fit.

Those rocks look GREAT! Really liking your scape here

-Andrew
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Christin, I used a Canon 5D with a Tamron 90mm macro lens. Also a flash that I don't know what the name for was. Speedlite with some numbers I believe. It's my dad's camera so don't worry I'm not totally spoiled :-D.

Thanks Andrew. Yes I agree the smooth gray rock is kind of out of place. Just wanted to put it there to have an odd number of rocks lol. I guess I should take it out. I was wondering how it would look with algae growth on it. Only algae it grew was BBA which I got rid of from the rock...

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 05-30-2007 at 03:15 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool

I think your tank looks awesome man! Great job, and congratulations on successfully breeding bee shrimp
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
Christin, I used a Canon 5D with a Tamron 90mm marco lens. Also a flash that I don't know what the name for was. Speedlite with some numbers I believe. It's my dad's camera so don't worry I'm not totally spoiled :-D.
Wow, nice Camera. <--(Guy who received his SLR as a gift from his uncle)

It makes a good impression Maru-kun. It's really got the iwagumi atmosphere. Have you considered a white background though? I'd also consider breaking up some of the right side foreground (where a 3rd stone would be if there were one), an maybe some areas around the stones with a secondary foreground plant. The most obvious choice would be hair grass, but considering how small the tank is, I'd pick something like mini riccia. Looks good though.

Now just get rid of those garish red shrimp and it'd look great! Well, people don't normally criticize on shrimp choices, but they are pretty distracting to me for a layouts like iwagumi that are usually considered calm and "cool," not "warm."

Well if it's to much of a PITA, don't worry-- most judges probably wouldn't be as anal as me on that regard since we all know that shrimp's main purpose is as cleaning tools, and red cherries happen to be more widely available than others.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Chong View Post
Now just get rid of those garish red shrimp and it'd look great! Well, people don't normally criticize on shrimp choices, but they are pretty distracting to me for a layouts like iwagumi that are usually considered calm and "cool," not "warm."
Maybe replacing the RCS with Amano shrimp would be best, or some wild colored shrimp.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Guess I'll put an Amano shrimp in there and take out the RCS. I'm actually BORED of RCS LOL. Wouldn't be very sad if they died out on me in my 10 gallon :-D. I will also leave the bee shrimp because IMO, they give the "cool" feeling of an Iwagumi. I'm not trying to make a "real" iwagumi though, but I like the "cool" feeling in tanks.

Well what could I use for a white background? Paper? I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. And actually, the tank has no background. I used to have a black one but I took that one out. The wall behind the tank is white. But the room was dark so it didn't matter at all lol.

Maybe on the right side I could try some U. Graminifolia? Man that plant looks sick.

Fresh_lynny gave me an idea to move the blyxa to one side, and on the left side background, to add some other small plant. I guess to make it seem like a mountain side thingy? She commented as it being too symmetrical. I guess it is, but right now the blxya on the right is bigger than the one on the left so it takes that away, but blyxa isn't gonna be that small forever is it...

I hope the blyxa won't grow WAY too big for the tank. I love the look of it in the tank, and I especially like it because not too many people use it for the main background tank in Iwagumi's :-D. Especially in nano's.3

O yah and another question. Is it not wise to use a telephoto lens to take pictures of a tank? Photo teacher told me that telephoto lens tend to compress the image making it seem like something way back is much more closer. I'll try taking it with another lens this time. White background and not.

Of course, without a well put scape, presentation does not matter.

What I'm most scared of is that if I try to rescape the tank, it would lose its formal glory. I want the HC to fill in and make a mat first before I do anything too drastic. Maybe small changes like move the blyxa on the far left. It's still pretty small.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I also would second on switching out the RCS, I wouldn't do Amanos though... Maybe wild for RCS or just more wild form bees, those would really look good, since they're a bit different.

And if I was going to be REALLY anal, those rocks are off center(GOOD!) but you have a small space to fill in, I would add a bit more HG than you already have.. IF you want some more let me know, $5 and I'll send you plenty. (need to remove and sell a 12x12 chunk )

But before you mess with the tank, give it a month or two to fill in!

-Andrew
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Planted Member

Love your tank. Everything there makes the tank looks very big. (except for the oto but its still good).
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you should see if you can make some money back on the tank, See here!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-show-off.html

I bet yours could make it

-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode