JGs 20G long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
JGs 20G long

Hello there folks. Its quite intimidating to post here... so many stunning tanks and such a wealth of knowledge on these forums. I've been lurking around for months reading and soaking up as much as my brain can handle. Trying to learn as much as possible about properly setting up and maintaining a planted tank. Still such a newb as I know lots of lessons only come from experience.

Now i've managed to get clearance to set up a little higher tech tank in the bedroom. This is my first attempt in doing so it should be interesting at the very least. I'd been posting in a journal over at MFT for the 10g hex but figured it would be better to start a journal for the new tank here given the content.

So now that thats out of the way here we go... man I swear the color on the walls do not look this bad in person, stupid flash. :P

The new setup:

20 Gallon long and a stand to match our bedroom furniture. The humidifier will be going away for summertime soon.

inside:

Will house the XP1, Heater, and eventually CO2 system in here.

quarantine/breeder 2.5G:

Tank is using all of the remnants from the 10G hex kit. 8W 18K Aquaglo flourescent, Top fin 10 filter, All glass aquarium heater.

So for the 20G long i've ordered/got:
Rena XP1/ extra bio-stars
Current USA Satellite 1x65W + 50/50 dual daylight lamp
Hydor 201 200W heater
ADA aquasoil amazonia 12 liters
Coralife digital timer(s)

Anything I'm forgetting?

I still have to do more research on the CO2 setup and I'm going to wait to get a UV sterilizer when its closer to setup time. Possibilities on CO2 that I'm looking at range from doing a full blown system with PH controller etc to considering seeing if I can get away with using a small packaged "DIY" system like Red Sea's Turbo CO2 deal. I'm mainly just wanting to grow a nice carpet of HC or Glosso, a little moss, and maybe 2 other species to keep it simple.

I'll be dosing ferts using EI with the Seachem line of liquids until the stock I have runs out. Its going to be a month or so before any setup as I have a week long trip at the end of april. Since this is my first attempt at a high light planted tank I want to wait until I have everything ready to go before even starting so its going to be a very slow setup but obviously well documented to obsession.

cheers,
J

Last edited by MrJG; 04-06-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't think 12L of AS is enough.
post #3 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I like your setup. Something I should try lol. It looks very organized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

nightshop: Yikes really? From the extended info on adgshop..
Standard U.S. 20 gallon (high or long) 1- 2 liter bag Power sand , 1- 9 liter bag + 1- 3 liter bag aquasoil
From my understanding only a light dusting of power sand would be used normally anyway but the AS isn't exactly going to be the only substrate in the tank... hopefully its enough for the masterplan but another order is a click away. Arghh, I almost got 2 9l bags just to make sure I would have some extra. How much did you use in your 20?

James: Thanks man. I lucked up that I had been ribbing the wife a little about doing another tank then I did a job for someone one day (took a day off the normal job hehe) that would almost pay for the whole setup sans CO2.
post #5 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Cant wait to see it up and running.

post #6 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I got around to doing a little bit this weekend...

Aquasoil came in and I you're right Nightshop if this were the only substrate it would totally not be enough. Hopefully I can still get by with my plan without ordering more. Won a used coralife 9w turbo-twist off ebay for half retail. Hopefully it will work ok... seller had a personal picture of the blue light on the top. Picked up a Zilla digital timer/power strip from petsmart (same as the coralife one just re-branded) that was on sale.

I managed to test fill the tank:

While the tanks were removed I went ahead and put down some Kitchen shelf liner for padding/slip protection, re-leveled again, and added a UPS

Im still getting a feel for where things will go when installed. Since these pictures were taken I moved the 2.5G to the cubes next to the tank because the confined space was generating too much heat. I moved both shelves to the left side so I have at least some hope of getting the filter/heater/UV in on one side.
While the tank was draining from the test fill I decided to get another small project started. Adding pre-filter sponges to the intakes for both tanks. I had purchased one a while back on another order so it only cost me a few bones.
And I still have some left over for user later.

Supplies:

And after some hacking:

I went ahead and unboxed the new light fixture too so here it is currently (before moving the nano):

I took a nice long walk through the woods behind my house and found the sticks that went into the 2.5G. I know its probably better not to do so but its only temporary.

Got a metric ton of Peacock moss from a member here in the swap n shop and tied tons to river stones for use in the 20 when the time comes. I've added the AS to the 2.5 and jump started the filtration with some donor bio-carts from my other tank. Hopefully the impending ammonia spike doesn't kill off all of the moss. :O

I'll try to get a pic of that sooner or later.
Still need several things before I can do any further tank setup...
choosing driftwood or rocks or both etc... then finding the right pieces is a whole other deal. I have an idea what I want to do scape wise (its going to be so newb) but until I have the hardscape in my hands I'm not pouring an ounce of substrate in.
Going to pick up a perfecto glass top this afternoon since four large breed dogs sleep in the room at night :O to prevent hairy tank syndrome.

For those who read this and provide any insight I thank you. I'm so totally new to the hobby that I know there tons of "gotcha"s. Of course when I finally do get around to getting the hardscape components I'm going to be asking for opinions.

If anyone cares to offer up advice, I'm strongly considering attempting to do this tank with no CO2. Is it possible to get good plant growth and little algae with just a good fert regime and lighting period?

Thanks,
James

post #7 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

James(feels wierd to say that ), I bet you cant wait to have it set up. I cat wait, I know that for sure.

-James

post #8 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks man. I guess maybe thread replies will pick up once I start figuring out the hardscape.

I'm anxious to get everything going too but I think by having a plan and sorting everything out first I'll be saving myself work and potential for problems later. Its really hard to walk in every day and see the tank waiting to be set up.

I did a quick ammonia check on the 2.5G yesterday that's been set up since monday... it was ~4 ppm. Did a pretty big water change (70%) just to make sure the moss doesn't suffer any ill effects. My non-calibrated nitrate kit is reading 10 ppm so at least there are some bacteria present in the tank. Only some pond snails in there ATM anyway.

post #9 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ghetto iwagumi

So on the way home yesterday I decided to stop off at a local landscaping yard to see what kind of rocks they had available. I found it pretty funny to ask someone who was accustomed to selling by the ton to sell me a few rocks for an aquarium. I think he may have gotten a giggle out of it also. They were sold to me as "pressure washed river stones" or "I have no idea man they are just rocks". Either way he only charged me a few bucks for as many as I could carry. As much as I'd like to order some nice shou stones etc. I just can't bring myself to spend $3.99 a pound +shipping on something
I can't personally pick out.
I tried to pick out stones with some character and of course I did this on a whim so I had no way to measure the rocks. I think the ones I picked out may be too large?
What good is a post without pictures right?

unwashed rocks:

Gave them a good twice over with a brush under running water:

After a few more beverages I decided to give a few attempts... I did not do any measurements for the 1.618234 rule :O but did have that in mind as well as trying to visualize a focal point. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I am doing here. Just looking for honest opinions, trust me feelings will not be hurt.
try #1:

#1 right:

#1 left:

try #2

#2 right:

#2 left:

If an iwagumi style setup is decided on (still haven't decided on adding driftwood too) it will probably be some fast growing stems behind the main set of rocks on the left at least until the tank gets somewhat established. Planning HC or something similar for ground cover around the rocks with moss tied to smaller stones breaking up the division of soil/sand. Nothing original but I gotta start somewhere.

So opinions? Feedback? Please someone throw the newb a bone.

post #10 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 AM

PTrader: (16/94%)
I think you should get rid of the rock and use something more sharp..
post #11 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I really like those rocks actually. All three of the setups look pretty good to me. To be honest, I like the way you have them on the towel in the second picture (not in the tank). I don't think you could go wrong with any of those layouts.

Good Luck!
post #12 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
I like all of them, especially 1.
i think you may want white substrate, it looks good with those, but black may look good too!

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #13 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
The small rock on the right side of the left group is out of place. I'd remove it entirely.

I think you should use glosso for this layout, because I think it will look good with the rounded stones, especially when it grows really thick.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #14 of 282 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I agree #1 or #2 without the small rock on the right would look good if you are set on using these rocks. Like mrbelvedere stated, Glosso or Marsiela Minuta would look great with the stones.

FUNction over form

post #15 of 282 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try a few more arrangements this week and take those suggestions into account.

Finally got the UV sterilizer this weekend so its not too far from setup time. Gotta clean it up really good though as it looks like it came from a SW setup. :-/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode