46Gal bowfront softly planted - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Do you like my tank? honestly thanks!
love it 1 4.76%
hate it 6 28.57%
it's alright 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
46Gal bowfront softly planted

46gal bowfront started 1 year ago.

Driftwood and a fake palmtree my husband wanted. With live plants, not overbearing the tank though. Cannister filter, no CO2, 96wat 6700 compact, and just added tablet ferts for the first time.

Fish as follows:

1 Kribensis
1 Bolivian Ram (although sold as a Gold Ram, so please correct me if wrong)
3 otos
1 ADF (have had the longest of all fish..almost a year)
6 xray tetras
1 Opaline Gourami (just added)
1 Gold Gourami (just added)

The next plan is either add a couple more of the Gourami's, and/or a Blue German Ram, and definitely a small Angel the very last.

Hopefully that isn't too much!

Thanks for viewing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Can you try to put the pics on photobycket instead of myspace. You have a private profile. I wouldnt add Gourami's and Angelfish. That is a bad combo IMO. Post a pic of your ram and then we can determine what it is. Then try to find the same species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

oh, didn't realize you wouldn't be able to open. I've never been to photobycket before. I will try there.

I talked to a couple people either online or LFS and said the Gourami and Angel would be fine. So which would be getting picked on? the angel?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Once again the myspace profile is private. Would you please use Photobucket so we dont have to go through the myspace. Thanks.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Okay, here's another go at it.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
IMo i think its ok, but it isnt good. blue gravel =\ o yea you need alot more plants then ur good

One month in.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The tank is nice but not a fan of the gravel. Thats just me though. I would suggest getting another Bolivian Ram. Its hard to tell ut it looks like you got a male. They look good in the tank. What are your plants?

But like I said the most I would add is maybe a Female Bolivian Ram and a Male Krib.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

No one likes my blue gravel? actually that was my kids choice. I wanted black..so before, when I first set it up, it looked pretty cool, black on most the whole thing with blue around the palm trees to look like an "ocean". But, after many gravel cleanings, that blue gravel mixed in everywhere.

oh well.

I would have done the other stuff, the natural stuff, if I had researched first.

The plants.. well, I really don't care for the tanks that are overwhelmed with plants, so I'm trying to do a little less, but I do think I still need more also. Plus I need to get the right "chemistry" going so that they will grow. They are just living, and not so much growing right now.

Moneywart,
diandra
contortian val
java fern
couple banana plants for the kids
anubias nana
a sword plant, 2 others, and couple grass like (LFS didn't know what they were)

So James, you think adding "mates" to the ram and krib wouldn't cause to much problems? I know they can get much more aggressive when mating. However, I LOVE how the Kribs look.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If they have there only places to go then it should be fine. I heard people have 2 breeding pairs in their 30g tank with no aggresion. But then again you do have the two continent mix. I would suggest try it and see how it works out the first week and if signs of problems remove it. Also you gouramis may be a little aggressive towards the breeding pair but they should hold thier own.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

One thing I've noticed, is that since I added the Gouramis, the cichlids have been moving around the tank more...the middle that is. Before they kept to the gravel basically. However, I'm still trying to get them to come up to the surface to eat. They'll only take the frozen stuff I put in that sinks to the bottom.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They are trying to keep their territories or they are feeling threatened by the Gourami's.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
I said I hate it. Not being mean or anything, but that tank has a lot of potential. I would suggest changing the gravel color, taking out the fake palm tree, add some hardscape like rocks and get more plants.

But, it looks like this is a family tank, so dont make your kids mad by taking out all the blue!

Do waht you want, just trying to help.

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

wow organic...so harsh!

the tank would probably look totally diff if it was just MINE. It actually looked worse from all the other fake plastic crap in there and I left only one..the one my hubby picked out. He actually hates all the plants in there, and I probably have half as many as the people on here have!

Should I go with more taller plants? Part of my reason for not having so many, was so I could still syphon the gravel, how do people do that without messing everything up?

James, ya, I didn't realize the continent mix till later. was more focused on the passiveness or other info on the fish, and not on it's origin.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

oh, and James,

I thought it was weird. The Krib was added later, after the Ram, but at some point before that the Ram had gotten an infection from another fish and it's eye was all cloudy, but it looks like it healed but I think he's blind in that eye, or maybe a little on both. Anyways, when I first put the Krib in there she kinda harrassed the Ram, or so I thought, even thought maybe she nipped his fin but not quite sure cause it hasn't happened again, and maybe the Ram had fin rot too, not sure.

Well, they are most of the time together, even though the Ram seems a little scared of her, but will still swim nearby. it's kinda like they're friends or something, but she's the domineering wife, and he the timid husband.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would just live the two cichlids in and add nothing more. I think a good choice would be at least to add to your tetras. She was probably sick. I had got a Betta like that and everything turned out fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode