Shady's 20H - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shady's 20H

Hi all, I thought Id finally get around to sharing my new tank. It is 20 gallon, pressurized CO2, Current dual 65w lighting fixture, Aquasoil and HOB Allglass filter. I use dry ferts dose according to the EI method.

The hardscape:

And here is the initial set up. I know you should plant a little denser but this was all I had to work with. Water was clear from the start. I spent a painfully long time filling it up to make sure the water didn't get cloudy.

And here it is after 4 weeks. Growth has been very good and Ive been trimming a lot to get the stems to shape the way I want. Algae has been problematic so far. Around week 2 I got hit with green water algae. After 2 weeks it didnt get any better so I gave in and bought a UV. After 3 days and the water has become clearer than I could ever have imagined. Now the problem is hair algae. I've been fighting it since the beginning and nothing has worked for me thus far.

Other than the algae I like the way it has turned out. I'm trying to carpet Ultricularia Graminiflora on the left side but I think I managed to kill most of it by denying it liguid iron ferts. The Windelov hasn't turned out the way I expected and Ill probably be getting rid of it but I gotta figure out what to replace it with.

Thanks for looking, enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
Looks great, keep up the good work. Hopefully your algae will sort itself out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
looks outstanding! I myself am in the middle of a battle with some of the same symptoms. I have a simular setup, ADA AS, ect.

Tanks looks great!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the compliments. Petey, if you make any progress with your algae be sure to let me know.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Sweet looking tank!

I had the same problem with the algae as well with the same AS/PS etc. Excel, co2, amano shrimp, Ocats worked to get rid of it all.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Amano shrimp and excel seem to get rid of my HA every time!! Dose the recommended excel at WC' and put 10 amano's in there.

Looks good so far Those anubias look familiar

jB
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
I too have had the same problem with AS. PeteyPob and I are suffering the same problem. Although I don't have GW my water is just cloudy, whereas it used to be tinted brown. I wonder how long does this situation last? I'm curious if it will ever resolve itself or do you think I'll have to resort to buying a UV also?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From what I understand, in a highlight setup waiting out or getting rid of greenwater using methods other than a UV or diatom is very difficult. In my lowlight 10 gallon I got rid of it just by adding carbon in my filter but that didn't work in this highlight tank. The best thing you can do is take measures to prevent it in the first place which I did not do in this tank. I had to stock it heavily from the beginning because I needed a place to put my fish. Even though I had AS I didnt do any extra water changes in the first couple weeks other than the one I do at the end of the week anyway. I started dosing from day 1 with only very few plants in the tank and I think I hindered the growth of bacteria by running my CO2 directly into my HOB filter. Also I just put in emerged Eleocharis Parvulus which had to rot and die before it started growing submersed. All those things plus the fact that it was a new tank and it was a recipe for greenwater. It doesnt sound like you have greenwater so if it is just some discoloration from the AS I would assume it would go away in time. I didnt have that problem though, my water was crystal clear up until week 3.

As for my other algae, hair and thread I started overdosing excel. So far it looks like the algae had no problem growing anyway. The part that drives me nuts is that healthy plants are suppose to outcompete this algae but it grows just fine on plants that are growing at an excellent rate and looking very healthy as well. I have 4 Amanos in the tank but I havent seen them do anything but avoid the algae so that is not much help. I'm still experimenting with different things so hopefully I'll stumble across the problem soon enough.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
The tank is coming along rapidly, and I feel your pain for green water. I'm fighting it in one of my new 2g, and it's rather aggrivating. Doesn' help when you don't use a filter though... Anyway, I think you may want to consider adding a large number of yamatos to your tank, as I have 4 in just my 5g, and they work to keep up with the algae. More is better!!! Good luck!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Shady,

Well I think I have fixed the problem, although I am still going to buy a UV next month. Now I won't know for sure until Thursday, but I think I might have found the culprit to my cloudy water problem. I located a large bunch of bacopa that had rotten roots and rockwool (which somehow I forgot to remove) in the substrate. When I pulled it out, WHEW! Did it smell bad! WOW! black sludge. No wonder I had high organics in the water column and bacterial blooms...so maybe that will eliminate some of what was contributing to my cloudy water. Ironically, much like yourself, all my other plants are doing really well. A. Nana Petite is throwing out runners like crazy on my driftwood and the A. Bateri is awesome; my giant hairgrass hasn't died and the rotala rotund. green is coming along nicely, unfortunately my HC became INFESTED with hair algae (what is up with that?) and had to completely remove it(don't get me started on the $$)...oh well at least the water is 90% clearer now..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Excellent! I think that should do the trick in clearing your cloudy water. If you have the money to spend, I would definetly recommend the UV. It made my water even clearer than it is out of the tap. It is also beneficial for the fish by killing parasites and bacteria, which was how I rationalized paying so much for one. $80! I'm a bit confused about the algae types. Im really suffering from the long single green hairlike threads. I looked it up and it sort of resembles both hair and thread algae so Im not sure which is which. If you havent thrown out the HC yet, try spot treating it with excel. Spot treating has worked really well for me in the past. I'd hate to think of throwing out all that expensive HC. My nana petite is thriving too, I'd estimate each one gets two new leaves a week. Not bad for a slow grower!

As for my experimenting, for this week Ive gone back to the general EI recomendation including trace and iron liquid dosing and I started overdosing excel. I removed a ton of thread(?) algae today so tomorrow ill see if it all grows back.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well unfortunately I already have thrown out the HC (ridiculous I know) but I'm going to get some more now that the tank has stabilized. The nana petite is doing really well, boy they do throw of some roots don't they! You might have better results without the Iron. I use EI but I don't use Iron at all until I have a serious overgrowth of plant mass and then I add it. How's it coming so far, where are those pics!!??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode