My 1st "Real" planted tank 7G...Updated 22/3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 1st "Real" planted tank 7G...Updated 22/3

Hi

Here is my first real attempt at a planted tank, instead on the usual hap hazed nature of my aquascaping in the past.
It is a small aquaone tank 7G (28litres), aquasoil, diy hagen Co2

plants are
harigrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
blyxa japonica
rotala wallichii
anubias and a couple of crypts which have melted when the aquasoil went in.
The water is still clearing but after some opinions/advise and please excuse the photos its very hard to take decent shots in well lit office esp on a white desk.

Planned inhabitants are Pseudomugil gertrudae (spotted blue eyes)
Photo: Gunther schmida
and whatever freshwater shrimp I can get my hands on locally (which is not much, although I hear CRS maybe around soon or native riffle shrimp which look nice but not the best algae eaters).

I decided to create a small clearing but the small anubias nana in the front and to see the small branch jutting forward

I'm not sold on the rotala as background plant considering a switch to Microcarpaea minima or something similiar but waiting for it to fill out. Also thinking of added more crypts now the tank has settled down planted close to the driftwood on the left and right of the clearing.

Thanks for looking

Matt

Last edited by mthomson; 03-22-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Good looking tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Algae Grower

İts very nice

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Looking good. I like the centerpiece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

It had been really tough to find a nice piece of wood small enough for the tank. I think this piece is even too big but I've tried to cover it up with the anuibias and the surrounding plants.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Looks great!

I would have used more Anubias Nana petite on the DW and just trimmed the Hairgrass at the front to let the anubias show but still keep the grass there to give it a more complete look.

FUNction over form

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:39 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
what king of light are you using?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

The light is just a 11w PL with 1 white 1 red/pink tube, it looks a little too white in the pic but think that is due to the camera white balance when taken in the white office light. Its a standard tube that comes with the aqua one tank.

There are 4 anubias plants on the wood 3 nana/nana petite and 1 centre larger varitey. There is also some java moss on the wood but it is still well tied down and hasn't grown out yet.

eklikewhoa I will probably let the hairgrass re grow there as it looks a little blank, did think of a small bit of glosso or something smaller there maybe some riccia. I did like the fact that the anuibais was hidden but thought it was too hidden (if that makes sense)

BTW I meant to mention that the tank has only been planted for 2 weeks.

Last edited by mthomson; 03-11-2007 at 06:24 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Hi

Just thought I'd share some updated pics, I now have the tank inhabitants Pseudomugil gertrudae (cadell river) (Spotted Blue-eyes) and shrimp (Caridina longistrostris). Both are native Australian found in the northern terrority.

Once again sorry about the poor quality pics (one day I'll turn the lights out on the whole floor to get decent shots)

Full Tank Shot

Side View

The fish

The Shrimp

Any opinions/thoughts.

Thanks for looking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
excellent.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode