The Planted Tank Forum banner

12 inch rimless. What am I getting myself into?

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ryanlogic 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I want to go with a minimalistic/Japanese style, with glass pipes and diffuser Etc.

I want to keep a moderate budget, but at the same time I have a "do it right the first time" mentality

I would welcome product suggestions in the following categories.

1. Black, white, or no background?

2. Rocks?

3. driftwood?

4. Soil?

5. filter/Lilly pipes?

6. Other glassware

#13 ·
1. Black background. It'll help the black silicone seams disappear. See any of my DBP tank journals for details about how that looks/helps. Not using a black background on DBP tanks is beyond distracting.

2. Yes, rocks. Especially if you can find large, black lava rock or something similar

3. If you can find the perfect piece(s) that utilizes the height of the tank

4. It's small enough that you can use high-end substrate like Aquasoil with little expense. Could even get a 9 liter bag of Amazonia for $35 shipped right now.

5. If you go canister, consider an Eheim 2213. Gives you a bit of flexibility when it comes to flow. Will be perfect with lily pipes.

6. If you don't go with glass pipes, it should be cheap and easy to create something that looks good. You could even spray paint Eheim pipes black to help them blend in with the tank.

P.S. If you want to keep things extra-simple, you could create a 'carpet' with, say, 20+ pots of Crypt parva. That would allow you to ditch CO2 and go with lower, cheaper lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.