My first planted tank! 60L Iwagumi! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first planted tank! 60L Iwagumi!

Hey guys,

The time has come! I've finally started putting together my tank! It only took 3 months to get everything together haha.

So, the specs:

24x12x14" or 60x30x35cm curved corner tank

55w CFL aqualina light and fitting. Not sure of the K values off the top of my head, but there's a slightly blue and slightly red bulb.

Eheim 2213 with CalAqua nano lily pipes

Hydor 200W inline heater

CO2PRO CO2 system - 880ml tank, regulator, diffuser, drop checker etc.

CalAqua Black Earth Substrate

Sieryu Stone

HC Carpet

Seachem fertilisers

Accessories: Master Test Kit, Planting Tweezers, Floating Thermometer, Glass Scrubber, Syringes etc.

(Just so you know, I'm writing this away from home, so I'll double check everything later and update accordingly)

Anyway, after finally getting the substrate, hard scape and plants, I started setting the tank up. Time for pics!

I inserted some DIY substrate supports for the slopes.

There are 5 stones in this scape; one large, one medium, one small and two nano.

It looks a little messy, but I split apart 4 pots of HC and planted them. I'll be growing them with the dry start method. A little worried about that, but I'm sure it'll be ok.

The photoperiod is 10 hours at the moment, and I'm misting the plants twice a day.

Anyways, I'll be updating periodically, but I hope it all looks ok so far!

Past time tropical fish keeper. Re-engaging by tackling the planted aquarium!

Starting Small!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Needs updating...

Progress: Algae is (finally) under control with new plants that are establishing well. I think I'm about to start fertilising... :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
So far so good, and the big stone on the right look really amazing. When the HC fills up the space. I believe you will have beautiful scape. Are you planning to put more plants in or just HC?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My first planted tank! 60L Iwagumi!

Thanks for the reply, Junglefowl.

When I first started looking at hard scape options, my LFS didn't have the sieryu stone. I was very surprised when I went in and saw that big rock. It was just too good to pass up!

I have a feeling I'll eventually add more plants, but for the time being, I'm going to wait for the HC to grow in and the tank to establish. I don't have many ideas for other plants yet. Any suggestions I should look up you reckon?

Thanks again!

Starting Small!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Needs updating...

Progress: Algae is (finally) under control with new plants that are establishing well. I think I'm about to start fertilising... :S

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those rocks are amazing, have you thought of using stauro repens at the base of them?

-- 36 gallon bowfront -- 5.5 gallon DBP --
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Gavin!

I do quite like the look of the S. repens. From what I have read on this forum, it definitely seems like a hardier plant than HC, so I suppose if I'm successful here and now, I shouldn't have a problem haha!

No matter what plants I end up adding, it's all an exercise in scale. In saying that, the S. repens would be my logical second choice.

Starting Small!
Needs updating...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_desire View Post
It only took 3 months to get everything together haha.
And that is why you will do well!! Good job planning.

Congrats on your first tank, looking great already. I agree with above, that rock at the back right is like its own mini mountain. You guys and your cool rocks, im jealous

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey man your tank looks real solid, that rockscape is spot on. BUT . . here is my honest opinion about the slope in the front left; its throwing off your scape. It's not to late to change it!

Just my two cents! Good luck with the drystart.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (74/100%)
It looks awesome!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aw, you're all so kind! Thanks heaps! The encouragement really helps!

I'll agree that the slope at the front looked better when the scape was dry, but I hope it looks alright when it fills in. I consider it a little pedestal that the clever fish might climb upon to showcase themselves hehe. To provide a little context, the tank is on the right hand side of my corner desk. In other words, I wanted an interesting perspective when I'm sitting at my desk. The view that I have is basically from the front left corner to the back right. I borrowed the idea of diametrically opposed corners from the green machine hehe. I'll see if it changes as it fills in, but I really like it at the moment lol. Thanks heaps for your input though! It means a lot.

Starting Small!
Needs updating...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
Hey man your tank looks real solid, that rockscape is spot on. BUT . . here is my honest opinion about the slope in the front left; its throwing off your scape. It's not to late to change it!

Just my two cents! Good luck with the drystart.
I agree, slopes on the front of tanks generally seem to "block" the look, more than actually flow.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys,

Time for an update!

The dry start is going OK, but I feel it could be better, too.

If anyone would like to chip in some advice, I've created a thread here.

Here's a pic.

Let's hope it's onwards and upwards from here!

Starting Small!
Needs updating...

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any updates to this?

-- 36 gallon bowfront -- 5.5 gallon DBP --
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin288 View Post
Any updates to this?
+1 I am curious too

Last edited by Bserve; 10-14-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: idc
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Oh wow, that stone on the right is amazing!

No self respecting aquarist worth his salt is without a bucket -Anon

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

any update?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode