29 Gallon Rebirth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
29 Gallon Rebirth

OK the first pics you will see are of the 29 gallon in it's current state. Which is an algae farm due to the fact that i tried to make a planted tank out of a tank with 1.4 watts and Diy Co2. My stupid self.

OK so on Friday i went to aquabuys. com and bought the 30" 65 watt 6700k by coral life. Then i went to walmart and bought a 24" 20 watt NO GE 9325k for a total of 2.9 wpg.
When the light get here i will be ripping out all the plants and cleaning off all algae and then rescaping the hole tank. I will post pics as i change the tank into the real planted tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5 View Post
... due to the fact that i tried to make a planted tank out of a tank with 1.4 watts and Diy Co2. My stupid self.
Why, may I ask? What's wrong with low light and DIY CO2?

Quote:
OK so on Friday i went to aquabuys. com and bought the 30" 65 watt 6700k by coral life. Then i went to walmart and bought a 24" 20 watt NO GE 9325k for a total of 2.9 wpg.
When the light get here i will be ripping out all the plants and cleaning off all algae and then rescaping the hole tank.
Don't think that just by increasing light intensity now the tank will be algae free... In contrary, if your plants are starving to begin with, with more light you are in for some interesting surprises.

Unless you provide nutrients (CO2 and macros and micros) you'll get to know some different types of algae.

And off-topic -- when taking photos of your tank, turn off the flash, and rest the camera on some stable surface when pressing the shutter. That helps to prevent reflections.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

Hi i posted the wrong wpg it is actually 20 watts on a 29 gallon tank for a total of .6 wpg.

Thank for the pic taking tips.

Also i had been dosing for a medium light tank and injecting Co2. So the tank was not blanced at all.

I really don't know what i was thinking.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Okay, I agree, a 20W bulb doesn't cut it for a 30gal. Just be careful, going from zero to 3 W/Gal is some huge change.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

Quote:
Just be careful, going from zero to 3 W/Gal is some huge change.
Is there something i am missing about this change other than wpg?

As i said at the end of this 29 gallon overhaul there will be 2 bags or flourite for just over 2" and i am trying to decied if i want to add 1-2" of pool filter sand over the top.

Please if at any time anyone has any comment please speak them. I really need all the help i can get so i get this right the first time. That goes for plant choice,layout,and drift wood place ment. Right now i have 1 medium pice in there but in due time there will be a second pice just not for the moment.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

Hi ok i took pics with the advice giving to and truned out all the lights in the house so here they are.

I added two screw in pc bulbs to take these pics you could see them better.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
if at any time anyone has any comment please speak them.
well, since you insisted in size 4 characters

I would bring the lower thick leaf plants to center front
put the tall straight stems along the entire rear
and the tall spreading stems along each side.
I would also thin/prune out the entire tank.

consider reducing the use of rock and wood,
or position them more vertically or only under
plants with thick spreading leaves in order
to increase usable rooting space for plants.

a more drastic measure is a gravel change.
those large grains are not optimized for plants.
now that you are at 3wpg, keep your lights on
for only 8hrs/day while you are using DIY Co2.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cool thanks i will do this as soon as my lights get hear on friday and i get home. I plan to take out all the plants and the two rocks the little one which i don't know if you can see will be proped in the back corner of the tank to that my gold bristle nose pleco can use it to breed and raise the babies. It will also be out of site i think.

After all the plants out out i will play with plant possition for a day or two and see if i can get a good lay out going.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

Update.

Lights came yesterday so as soon as i got in last night at 1:00 am in the morning i took it out of the box and place it on the tank.

I am going to TRY and wait until Monday after i take my son to school before i rip out all the plants and play around with the lay out.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

OK i could not wait till Monday to rescape the tank. It was killing me.

So it's done and i really like the Way it turned out but i think that there are still minor changes to be made. I will try and take some pics to night but it's going to busy night so i don't know if i will have the time.

If i take pics tonight i will post them tomorrow.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

Ok so here are the pics. Please give comments and sugestions.

I know the Red flame sword in the middle will have to be moved but i placed it there for now so it can get plenty of light and grow out. While we are on plants here is the current plant list.

Red flame sword
ECHINODORUS 'KLEINER BAR'
ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS 'TROPICA'
Amazon sword ( i know i will have to get rid of it at some point)
ANUBIAS BARTERI VAR. BARTERI?
Anubias barteri v. 'coffeefolia'
Java fern
Narrow leaf java fern
MICROSORUM PTEROPUS 'WINDELÝV'
CRYPTOCORYNE UNDULATA
Ceratopteris thalictroides
EGERIA DENSA
HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA
HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA 'SUNSET'
LUDWIGIA REPENS x ?
ROTALA ROTUNDIFOLIA
Taiwan Moss

Current fish
4 albion bristle nose pleco's
3 yo yo loach
3 giant danio
1 Boesemani Rainbow

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update

This is an update let me know what you think.

I am still battling green spot algae and i am now noticing some hair algae.

I know how to fix both by upping my Co2 and my phosphates. But i just can't enough Co2 dissolved into the water. You would think that with 4 x 2 liter bottles it would be enough. I checked for leaks and there were none. I even went as far as lugging my whole Co2 set up to my tub up stairs and completely submerse the whole system under water with my finger over the out let hole to let the pressure build up and still no leaks. I need a better defusing method.

Any ideas on a good REALLY CHEAP defuser that works with diy Co2? please

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Try a Rhinox!
You can get it cheap...less than 20 bucks.
It works with DIY. Check Aquamagic on ebaY.
your tank looks a lot better...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update.

I have finally got the my Diy Co2 @ 30ppm and staying steady. Thanks to Jen and her Xmas gift of excel i was able to get rid of all my algae troubles.

So i still am planing to change out the grave to fluorite.

So any ideas/ thoughts on plant placement is always great.

I am thinking about taking out the amazon sword in the back right of the pic. It just does not look so good. Speaking of which does anyone knows if yo yo's are the ones eating hole in my swords please speak up.

Let me know what ya think.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
will...progressing along nicely....maybe move the sword of to the right as it is smack dab in the middle, and start up some foreground-type plant, like E tiandra or glosso, or Marselia spp. Good job~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode