180 gal. Planted Display Updated Photos 11/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
180 gal. Planted Display Updated Photos 11/10

These are right after a water change and a pruning. I had to move some things around as Ive had touble with certain species. I have 706W of PC lighting but I guess its not enough for some species due to the depth of the tank. I lost most of my frilly plants after adding Seachem Flourish.....they melted away for some reason......

Without Flash:

With Flash:

A month and a half ago:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looks quite lush. What a difference 6 weeks makes... when that micro sword takes off, I'd be happy to buy / trade for some.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
yea let me know how that micro sword works, i have some in my tank and its doing ok...

tank looks good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
You might produce better growth with the micro sword if you spread it out, you certinaly have enough to create a lush foregound.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 AM

nice tank,
I would add some red ones. (Grasilis, Macranda, Aromatica...)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the notes.

Three things...

1. I cant get the microswords to go....not sure why. Ill spread them out more today and see what happens. Should I spread them out like Ive seen folks do with glosso?

2. I can get anything red (other than the lotus and the indica-not really red) to grow. Ive killed R. wallachi twice and couldnt get thin leaf macranda to go and it died as well. I have 706W of PC lighting (6500K) running 11 hours per day. Is the tank too tall? Its a 180 gallon (24") tall.

3. The frilly plants (wallachi, cabomba) both melted when I started dosing with Seachem.....is this common?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman76092 View Post
2. I can get anything red (other than the lotus and the indica-not really red) to grow. Ive killed R. wallachi twice and couldnt get thin leaf macranda to go and it died as well. I have 706W of PC lighting (6500K) running 11 hours per day. Is the tank too tall? Its a 180 gallon (24") tall.
I can't tell you what your problem is, but it is most definitely not a lack of light. That's almost 4 Watts per gallon, and on a tank that size, you shouldn't need more than 2-2.5 for anything. That's also almost 60 Watts per square foot, and you shouldn't need more than 50 for any plant. 24 inches of depth won't make that much difference. From your comparison to a month and a half before, you're obviously getting good growth.

If you're having problems growing certain plants, then I would consider your fertilization. What's your routine?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1) spread it out like glosso
2) I have plenty of red plants, and I'm using 390wt PC, my tank is 24in tall. Most of mine doesn't turn red until about a foot tall, then gets progressively more red as it nears the surface. What are your nitrate and Fe levels?
3) that's normal when dosing excel
When you say 'seachem' do you mean flourish or flourish excel?
"Soft" plants like cabomba, crypts, vals need to be introduced gently to excel.
I've not heard these plants to be sensitive to Flourish.
What is your method of CO2 dispersal?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im still a rookie at this planted tank thing, so thanks for the replies.

1. Ive spread the microswords out and covered the entire foreground with little chunks (5-8 blades ea).

2-3. Im assuming since its not the light, it was the Flourish Excel that killed my cabomba and my wallachi.
Im just following the directions (actually underdosing) on the bottles of Excel, Iron, Nitrogen and Potassium. Twice weekly on Excel and Once weekly on the other three.

My nitrates are almost 0 even after a week.

As for Iron....I have no idea how to test for it. I didnt know you had to. I read a few small manuals before jumping in to this and there was no mention of it..... I guess there is and I should be doing this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Excel is a carbon source. If you are injecting CO2 (certainly looks like it) then you don't need to use the excel. Regular Flourish though, will help the plants. It doses trace elements and such. Flourish Nitrogen and potassium will prob quite expensive if you dose it per directions. Greg watson ferts will end up much cheaper that what you are using, especially for a tank that size. I myself, keep the nitrate at 20-40 ppm and the phos at 2ppm. Excel becomes very expensive for a tank that size, considering how much you have to dose.

The Seachem line of ferts works great, but becomes quite expensive for tanks over 55 gal. I too had to find this out the expensive way. Aquarium Plants, Aquatic Plants, Planted Aquariums, and Aquarium Plant Fertilizer is where I now get all my ferts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
isnt that the aqua terria background or something like that? i looked into those and they really do have some neat one out there.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks-I was a bit intimidated by the Greg Watson website and what I needed, etc. As soon as Im running low on what I have currently, Ill get the items from him.

As for the background, I got the idea from the Back to Nature backgrounds, but didnt want to spend $500+ for this size. I built it myself a year or so ago.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
my micro swords arent doing too much either... a few sprouts here and there but thats it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode