Fish hopping trip!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Fish hopping trip!!

I went fish-shop-hopping with some friends today (SnyperP drove if anyone knows him). I didn't have my camera, so I didn't get any photos of the shops, or the fish my friends bought but . . .

Also, please excuse the green dust on the glass in all the photos . . .

First shop was "All About Fish." This was an awesome store with lots of great little fish! I found the DREAM fish for my current scape.

Sparkling Gourami:

If anyone remembers the original concept illustration for my current lay out, it featured these guys! Like this:

Finally I got a small school in real life too!

Dicrossus (checkerboard cichlid):

I don't think anyone knows this, but I always envinsioned Naupaka Coast with Dicrossus. Like the sparkling gouramis, they share the nice blue-green-red color scheme that reminds me of the coloration of wrass/parrot fish in real hawaii reefs. They have a tropical feel IMO. These guys are so tiny though!! They don't even have the colors of the larger adults, so I hope they color up quickly.

BTW-- SnyperP took the plunge and bought a small $40 school of galaxy rasboras Hope to get some photos of them in his tank in the future!

Bunch of other nice planted tank fish there too . . . apistos, boraras (multiple species), hummingbird tetras, pygmy cories, endlers, licorice gouramies . . . they had snowball shrimp too XD

Next Stop: Tom's Tropical Fish

This was a whole-in-the-wall fish store owned by an old Chinese man. The store was very asian is all I can say. XD

We stopped by mostly to get a flowerhorn for our friend John.

BUT while he was picking one, I spotted these guys:

at 3.99 each!?? No idea why or how. Botia sidthemunki (dwarf chain loach) are usually at least $8 or $9 bucks each! I've seen 'em sold for $15. Well, a steal for me anyway! I had to take out the pea puffers to put in my other fish so this is perfect for keeping my tank snail free!

I also bought a nice set of dragon rocks! They weren't really big enough to make an iwagumi in my tank but since I wasn't planning to do one anyway maybe I'll find a use for 'em one day. I sure love hard-scape stockpiling . . .

We went to some other shops, but didn't buy anything.

One last shot of a dicrossus free in the tank:

Yes, that's HC in the background. >.< They're all so puny!! But I've dreamed of having this fish in Naupaka Coast so I'll just cross my fingers that he sizes up and colors up. Right now, the sidthimunki's are bigger! >.<

He better grow-- if he shrank he'd get sucked up by the filter intake. ok, I'm just joking but really . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
$3.99 FOR BOTIA SIDS!!!!!!

I envy you!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Hey, tell me next time you guys go on a trip. I'll tag along. =)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
What a steal on those loaches!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I was quite happy with the sids-- I got a school of 5.

Oh, and here's an interesting fact-- I posted the above photo of the loaches as a work of art at deviantart entitled "Awaiting Freedom."

And it's already been fav'd twice! Just goes to show you that most photo art folks see things differently-- some fish in a bag before they even get into the tank, can be an artistic photo!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
mmm... sparkeling gouramis.. are they meanies?

beautiful fish man.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

hmm . . . meanies? I've never had an issue with them in the past. They seem nice so far too. A bit spooked so they are still hiding under plants which is unusual for them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

meaning.. will they chase other gouramis? like three spots..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm . . . dunno. I've only ever kept them with themselves and other small fish. They stop off at 1.5 in. That'd be pretty hilarious if they ran around the tank beating up moons and 3 spots. lol

Alright, I doubt it. They're pretty small and shy . . .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hah, they won't touch your other fish.

One of the few loaches I have yet to keep.

They go for $29.99 here. >_<
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

Hey Steven,

Nice catch with those chain loaches. They go for about $15 a speciment around here, and there is also a sign "RARE" posted on their tank from the store....

Gosh, I hate knowledgeable LFS owner
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 02:28 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eh? I guess those sidthimukies were a good buy. =D I wasn't very familiar with them. I suppose that store was good for a few things after all. =p

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode