Discus Chapter 2...Week six...new photos....new fixture... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Discus Chapter 2...Week six...new photos....new fixture...

I couldnt resist, I got these fish yesterday. I will tool around with the 65g to learn the planted tank further. I am going to try raising the fish in the 90g instead. I had some trouble moving them around before so I would rather raise them in the tank they are going to end up in. I will keep the easy to grow plants in this tank, right now co2 isnt even connected. They are VERY small fish, I know they look small in this tank....for now. Wish me luck!

Here they are in the bag, the temperature got better for shipping . A heat pack was used.

Here they are getting curious! This part is neat. I lowered the flow on both filters.

Here they are right after I put them in. They are not as lifeless as the first fish I had.

Sorry for the glare...bad time to take a pic.

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Brilliant; 12-19-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those are cute little juveniles! Beware though, they're going to need to eat a lot of protein rich food to get to a adult size. If they're getting what they need you'll have an algae farm in that tank faster than you can say "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!".
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Good luck Frank!!

I'm glad to hear you are giving it another go

jB

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Those are cute little juveniles! Beware though, they're going to need to eat a lot of protein rich food to get to a adult size. If they're getting what they need you'll have an algae farm in that tank faster than you can say "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!".
I think it may be worth investing in a food processor. My food bill was around $20 and that is per week. I know what you mean thanks for the warning. I will not be adding any macros to this tank. I think my water changes will help combat phosphates. I will lower the light too.

I really considered growing these guys out in my 29 or 37g tank but I am afraid of when I have to move them. So I will give this a go. I removed as much junk out of the tank as I could and I will be installing an external heater soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
Good luck Frank!!

I'm glad to hear you are giving it another go

jB
Yep, I cant live without them...LOL
Thank you, I hope I will report back with good news in six months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Brilliant; 11-03-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: grammar
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now this is funny. The Discus made the Cardinals come out!!. The tank does not belong to the Discus yet.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Hey Brilliant nice looking discus are they Red Terqs.? Also where did you buy them from they look like nice bright colors. Have they started eating yet and came out to look around?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:07 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Brilliant...I have to admit. This is quite an endeavor!!

Gonna be hard growin em out in that tank! The steady feast that these guys are gonna need is gonna create havock with the tank I believe. Feedin juvies 4-5 times a day is a must to have them healthy an growin. That will in turn create a lot of leftovers, an waste which is pretty hard to clean up every day, or every other day, without your plants suffering. I can assume yer not dosing P04, since you will have plenty of it....

All I can say is good luck! Hope it works out for you!!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
Hey Brilliant nice looking discus are they Red Terqs.? Also where did you buy them from they look like nice bright colors. Have they started eating yet and came out to look around?
Hello,
No Red Turqs I could not get the same strains again. I thought they would never live up to the other ones I had so I picked another strain. I know its probably hard to tell but I was hoping someone could tell me the strain. I know what they were sold as but it would be a compliment if someone told me.

Perhaps this answer will come out in a few weeks or months when they have grown. If you cant take the suspense just PM me.

They are eating now, they are very timid still. They are soo tiny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
Brilliant...I have to admit. This is quite an endeavor!!

Gonna be hard growin em out in that tank! The steady feast that these guys are gonna need is gonna create havock with the tank I believe. Feedin juvies 4-5 times a day is a must to have them healthy an growin. That will in turn create a lot of leftovers, an waste which is pretty hard to clean up every day, or every other day, without your plants suffering. I can assume yer not dosing P04, since you will have plenty of it....

All I can say is good luck! Hope it works out for you!!
I hope so too thank you. I was satisfied with the growth of my last fish in the planted tank. I am trying to feed them very often. They appear to be eating everything what else leftover may be eaten by the Cardinals and ABNs. I wrote to someone who kept juvs in a large tank like mine and he seemed pleased with the fish many months later. I am not concerned with the plants at all. I am concerned with the fish. I had a real bad time relocating these fish in the past. That is the only reason I am trying to keep them in this tank.

I did have to run the diatom filter weekly to keep the water pristine.

Any hints on how to keep them from spawning but not cause stress?
I do think my pair did continue to grow after they spawned but the female took a 1-2 day break sometimes from eating.
I was thinking about making the water hard but it clearly causes my Apistos to stress and I dont really want to put these fish through that.

I will make a post about my water storage system soon. It is pretty neat!

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:24 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
hi Frank,
sorry to hear about your losses. That was very weird, I've never heard anything like that before. I wouldn't have not expected oxygen would have been used up that quickly. I really like my new tank with the overflow system, all I have to do is part in fresh water for water changes.

Please keep us posted on me progress of your new fish.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Looking at your thread really brings back memories of wheni first got my discus. They were all juveniles just like yours and i brought them home in the kind of bags,in the same condition like you did. I can really recall those days. Well,it has been almost a year now and my fishes have all grown up and currently i have 2 existing pairs amongst them. I am sure your discus will make it through,they look really beautiful. Would love to watch them grow=)
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi guys! Thanks so much. This part is very cool. I am a little bit more confident this time around.

Yah Randy tough loss. I didnt think it was an issue either. Large fish take large tolls on o2 levels. I was an idiot for leaving the tank that way.

The fish are not swimming away from me anymore. I will probably be hand feeding them by the end of the week and put up a new picture of it. After this bond happens they will grow like crazy!

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Algae Grower

wow they look great!

Is Hokey Pokey Really What It's all about ?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you

Now they arent hiding as much. They are beginning to eat good now. I would prefer them to be a bit more aggressive while eating but that should come very soon. They arent eating from my hand yet but the week is young

I just took these pictures when I fed them 10 minutes ago. Sorry for the bad quality I was holding the camera in one hand and feeding with the other.
I was hoping they were going to eat from my hand.

This is me walking up to the tank.

Yep thats algae starting to grow on the glass.

whooaaahh here she comes! lookout boy algaes gonna chew me up!

Algae or not I am happy they are all eating.

Last edited by Brilliant; 12-19-2006 at 01:17 AM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:42 PM

Somehow from the pics i felt your excitement as you fed them. Or perhaps it is just me recounting how it used to be when my discus were still juveniles like yours.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:59 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
I miss my discus very much. I just loved it when all of them would come up and eat from your hand and who said fish can't be interactive with there owner.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode