Is low tech possible on a 120 gallon? which is the least maintenence - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is low tech possible on a 120 gallon? which is the least maintenence

sorry for the dumb question but I'm new to planted aquariums.

Is it possible to have a planted tank as big as 120 gallons (60L 18.5W 25.5T) without any CO2?

From my understanding, without CO2 I will need less lighting (which is also cheaper for me).

My priority is ease of maintenence over price. I would rather spend more money, if needs be, to have a tank that is easier to maintain. I am in my senior year of my engineering program at school and time is limited, I like tinkering with this stuff, but it cannot become something that needs daily or weekly attention. I used to do water changes on my 40 gallon tank every two weeks and thats as much as I would like to do.

I would like to keep a few fish in the tank, probably a large school of tetras and a few bigger fish, along with some shrimp to aid with cleaning.

If low tech is less maintenence (less pruning due to slow growth) then I would rather go that route, especially since it'll be cheaper?

Without CO2 will I have to mess around a lot with adding fertilizers and supplements to the water? cause that also takes quite a bit more attention, In which case Id rather just go CO2 with a ph controller and cough up the money to have less work.

so what do you guys recommend in my situation? low tech or co2 injected?

also I understand low tech limits what plants I can grow, does anyone have list of nice looking plants that will work if i go low tech? that way i can look at pictures and decide if I even like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would go low tech, water changes on a 120g is less than apealing to me .
Quote:
Without CO2 will I have to mess around a lot with adding fertilizers and supplements to the water? cause that also takes quite a bit more attention, In which case Id rather just go CO2 with a ph controller and cough up the money to have less work.
Even if you have co2, you would still need fertilizers. You can't just have co2, or just fertilizers, or just high light. They all must be together. Co2 does not replace nutrients. Plants need it, but it is like us with air, we need air, but we also need food and water. Plants need co2, nutrients and light. They all have to be balanced.The low tech would definetly be a lot lower maintenance, and cost less money. Whatever path that you choose, good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tanks built around anubias or ferns and mosses can be stunning. Many/most crypts and many swords will do well in low to moderate light without CO2.

As for stems, I've found hygros (difformis and polysperma) do well in lower light and no CO2. I've also had good results with Bacopa caroliniana (sp, I'm being lazy). While watersprite doesn't seem to be very popular, a single plant, kept trimmed to 3-4 fronds and allowed room to spread, can be an attractive focal plant.

A little time browsing the low tech section of the forum will give you an even wider selection.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

are low tech or hi tech aquariums more prone to algae?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
BlakeA, I don't know why you posted under photo album, but
you really should spend time reviewing the threads under;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/
they will definitely inspire you to do low budget wonders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
welcome to the forum!

first thing first, you probably just made a mistake but we have diffrent places for diffrent topic so this jumble of amazing info is hopefull, almost sane, and organized! which it is pretty good with

i would vote for low tech. now with what im about to say is highly unheard of but works for me and hopefully for you too,..... if you decided to do a moss tank, with maybe a bit of other plants, invest in decent to high lighting. start slow with low light but over the course of the first year up the lighting slowly untill you are mid-high light, mosses seam to use VERY LITTLE nutrients and love high light, seachem exell or CO2 doesnt hurt either. if you need moss, let me know I'm begining to have quite the collection.....

now I'm going to confuse most people probably, dont bother with water changes for the most part. exceptions would be the begining when the tank is first set up, maybe. I read a post by tom barr which described why we get algea blooms a lot in low light tanks and it usually has to do with unstable nutrients, so if you take out half your tank's water which is mediumly loaded with stuff, and add say 60 more gallons of fresh tap water, there is a HUGE nutrient and CO2 swing which will usually trigger algea. so in your case just do top offs mainly.

also with this stock pretty lightly, some school of small fish to help with poop= nutrients from fish food and other stuff. also some nice algea eaters, in a 120g i would recomend around 10-20 otto algea eaters, and a pair of bushy nose plecos or a pair of albino bushy nose's or just a larger group of BNP or ottos. also shrimp, cherries are great!

my tanks are like this, i havent sat down and written down how ive really done it because im still figuring out how i work it . but it works some crazy way.

now im not an expert by any means, been in the hobby a year and a 4 months now, and am 14 but hell, age is just a number. i spend a lot of time reading posts here and around the web. i believe i have somewhat of a knowledge base but i wouldnt just use what i say, im still a newby.

if you want more info on my crazy ways just let me know, i will try and explain my madness.....

- Fish Newb
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

yea im an idiot, posted it in here by accident.

can a moderator move this to the correct place for me for more views?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode