16gal Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
16gal Bowfront

I used to have this tank set up as a saltwater aquarium. 16gal Bowfront - Nano-Reef.com Forums

After that ate all my money I decided (about a year ago) to try with the planted tank thing.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...2-5g-nano.html

I didn't really have the time to care for that tank so it crashed. The 16gal's been sitting dry for a few months so I thought I'd try and have another go at it. I still had a bunch of Flourite left over from the previous tank; so I used it, some extra gravel, and some "Riverbed Sand" for the substrate.

I've got a 28w 6.5k light on it and a temporary HOB filter.

About three days ago I got some stuff from the LFS:
- 2 Java Ferns
- Sword Something-or-other Plant
- 1 meduim peice of driftwood
= $14

I let the driftwood soak for a day or two but, I got fed up with it yesterday and tied it to a bigger rock so it would sink.

Today I bought 4 Neon Tetras and 12 Ghost Shrimp($11 something). I thought that the store I went to would have had some good stuff but their plant/invert seletion was pretty poor. I'll have to wait til the end of the week before ordering anything.

The 'scape if pretty rough atm, I just wanted it to clear up for a shot. I'll probably wait and see what happens to the shirmp before I move stuff around a lot.

I'm not really going to worry about any parameters, just weekly 10% water change is all I'll do for the moment. I'm going to chage out the HOB for a regular powerhead probably tomorrow. As far as lighting goes, I might upgrade so I can use this light on my 20H to make a vivarum. (Dendroboard - Your source for dart frog information.) My wpg is pretty low, it might be a month or so till I can afford a fancy new light.

Hope ya like what you see, lemme know what you think. I should have some better pictures up in the next day or so after I do a water change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
not a bad start, i would ad some more plants (specifically fast growing stem plants) just you wait... this will turn into a money leach too... next will be more lighting... then you will figure out you need co2... then will come ferts ect.

its fun though

good luck! keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10/24 update

Not many changes, yet. For the moment just one new plant (it's not going to stay there). I'm thinking about taking the driftwood and putting it on its side. With the tall plants behind it and the shorter plants spread out infront of/to the side of the wood. I found two little bits of some plant which had rooted in a clump of alge on one of the plants I got. I tried to plant them in the front of the tank for the moment.

Front View:

(sorry, still figuring out how to take good pics with the camera)

Top Down of New Plants:

I'll be getting rid of the hob filter around thursday/friday when I should have some new pics to post. Hopefully I can find some decent plants at a store near me.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
lookin good! are you sure thats not 26 gallons it looks just like mine... what are the dimensions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode