29gallon journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
29gallon journal

so i've finally decided to go for live plants. i've wanted to for awhile now but didn't have the money, but mostly, i knew nothing about it. i tried a planted tank a few years back (10g) but didn't read anything about it and ended up in bga hell!. it took over the entire tank to the point where i had to take it down.
so this time i've been reading and loving everyones tanks!.
i currently have a 55gallon as well but it's not planted and i won't be venturing into live plants with it until a much later date (and more money!).

so this 29 gallon i bought not quite too long ago.

this is what it looked like when i first started (fake plants):

091706 - added more fake plants

092506 - bought some java fern and anubias nana. had some attached to driftwood and some laying on the gravel. my lighting at this point was only 0.6wpg

100206 - this is when i actually tied the java fern and anubias nana down after finally getting some string

100706 - bought some amazon sword, hornwort and wisteria and ordered some more plants online. one fake plant left (the one on the right side). added some co2 and bought new lighting bringing me to 2.4wpg. don't mind the piece of foam at the right hand top side. i put it there to stop the filter from producing a lot of water surface movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

101306 - received my new plants. added in more flourite which was a big pain. moved things around a bit and cut down my hornwort/amazon sword because some of it was looking really bad from when i got it and i didn't notice at first. the plants i received in the mail looked a little bit bad because it took awhile to get here.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

101506- today - i am amazed at how well the plants that i got in the mail have perked up!. there is actually some growth on them already and they aren't all droopy as much. i added in another co2 bottle as well. i am still waiting on the ei fertilizers and am just dosing some flourish right now.

Last edited by terka27; 11-01-2006 at 04:43 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

i do have some questions though. how far apart am i supposed to be putting some of the plants?
the ones i received in the mail were:
bacopa australis
ludwigia...it was just labelled as red ludwigia
hygro rosanervig
and then some unknown one

i'm going to be ordering more plants (as i have a 10gallon i'm starting as well) and some foreground ones for this tank as well.
i know i shouldn't worry about aquascaping yet and just let things grow but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated .
it seems i've seen other people being able to fit a lot more plants in their tank and make it look big..mine seems to be fitting just a few and it looks small.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:08 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Nice post, and good looking start on a planted tank. I admit, seeing the plastic plants in the first photos was discouraging, but you've done very well

For Stem plants.....typical procedure is to plant 3-4 stems in the same hole, and space the groups 3-4 inches apart. That's just a really general rule, I'm sure those numbers vary greatly. The idea is, you don't necessarily want to block light to the lower leaves. Careful with that sword, it will eventually do so!

Starting your second planted tank already!!! Multiple Tank Syndrome at it's best!

Typically, a good place to start with aquascaping (this coming from a noob myself) is to grow taller plants in the back, and shorter ones in the front. Also, don't plant and arrange in too symmetrical of a fashion, it's good to have things off-balance a little. Read the stickies too, they help a lot.

Last question/comment.....it's very hard to get a 29 gallon tank to look big. I suppose the best way is to use fine-leaved plants, which you are doing for the most part. The sword will get too big eventually, if all things go to plan!

Now....some questions for you! What is your substrate consisting of...you mentioned fluorite? What kind/how many lights do you have? Are you using the Hagen CO2 factory, including the little grey canister? What is your filtration? What kind of fishies....any algae cleanup crew planned?

Whew, good thread it's always good to see the conversion from fake to real plants, especially when the person reads up on in!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply!.

i think i spaced my stem plants a bit too far apart, no wonder i couldn't figure out how other people get a bunch of different plants in such small spaces! lol.

my substrate started with black sand. then i really didn't want to take it all out so i tried to put the flourite underneath it. as you can tell, parts of it didn't work so well as i did it in 2 stages (i ran out of flourite).
my lights are 65watt coralife ones. i am using the hagen co2, with the small canister. but i also have a diy 2 litre bottle set up with the hagen ladder. that one isn't bubbling very much at all right now. my co2 comes to about 19ppm so far according to the chart.
right now i have 9 tiger barbs. i didn't want quite that many because it seems a bit overstocked. then i have 4 ottos. my filter is a penquin biowheel that came with the tank. not my favorite and i'm sure i'll replace it one of these days. i took out the biowheel and added in the foam so it doesn't cause such water movement and that seemed to help the co2.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:15 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I can't see pictures
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

a little update on my tank (it's a bit cloudy as i was messing with it). some growth going but algae as well. i think there's a start of some sort of algae on the leaves. i also have diatoms (which the otos are not working on) and some green dust algae. i noticed some blue green algae on the top of the sponge which freaked me out a bit because i've had that once before in another tank and it was horrid! i replaced it with another sponge.
finally got my fertilizers in on friday and started dosing those. replaced the hornwort as it wasn't really growing.

anyone know what these 2 are? some sort of hygro it said but not sure which.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
An amazing transformation Your tank looks great
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

i redid a big chunk of the tank today. i removed almost all the left side of the plants to wash them and cut them. the very bottoms of them were not looking so good and leaves were falling off. most likely from the condition they were in when they got here. i removed the 2 pieces of driftwood and just plopped them into my 5 gallon, they were getting covered in algae..probably because of the high light.
i removed a lot of debris from the flourite when the plants were out.
the algae is really bugging me and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. i don't understand why my co2 is not enough when i have 2 of them!. i might just remove the hagen canister and replace it with a 2l bottle instead. the new mix i used for the 2l seems to be working really well.
the water just keeps looking cloudier and cloudier :p. and green dust algae and diatoms are taking over the glass.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Judging frm the last picture there...it looks like you have plants covering about 50% of the substrate. Typically, in order to create an easier balance in the tank, at least 75% coverage is best. Especially when the plants are trying to outcompete algae for nutrients.

Speaking of nutrients.....what are you fertilizing with? Green spot algae is a sign of low phosphate. Diatoms, on the other hand, will just have to pass in time.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

i'm waiting on some more plants but i think it will be another week.
the plants are growing but the entire glass is just covered right now.
i'm dosing 1/4tsp nitrates
and 1/16tsp of the potassium and phosphate every other day and a 50% water change each week. and then doing flourish twice a week.
i added a 2litre bottle the other day instead of the hagen one because it seems to produce more bubbles. i'm doing the wait a couple of weeks to scrape the glass like some other suggested.
i don't think i have green water because i put some of the water into a white bowl and it doesn't have a hint of green in it, but maybe it's the start of it? water change day tomorrow so maybe that will help with the slight cloudiness. mostly it's just the green and brown stuff on the glass. i'm hoping that adding new plants in a week and then just doing what i'm doing will help.

the tank is looking bad though, lol. my gallon is also starting to look bad but i don't have enough plants in there either, but it's a whole different set of algae than the 29g.

Last edited by terka27; 11-01-2006 at 04:45 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

plants are still growing but the green water (i assume it's that) is still there.
bought 3 rosy barbs the other day as well.
my plants should come this week so i'll add those in and hopefully that will help. i can't tell if there is too much algae on the plant leaves or not since it's hard to see in the tank.
i replaced the penquin biowheel that came with a tank with my older aquaclear 300 for better filtration, i could fit a whole other big sponge in there, yay!
the 10 gallon i have is growing completely different algae than this tank, it's interesting :p
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

i haven't updated in awhile.
these were taken yesterday.
i was supposed to receive some plants in the mail but they haven't arrived and i'm pretty sure they are lost or dead. i want to replace the right side with something else and get some foreground plants as well.
i am still wiping gda off the glass because i just can't bear to let it grow for the 2-3 weeks! lol. though, i did wait 2 weeks this last time to do it and it had decreased.

does anyone have any recommendations for plants to put in on the right side?
i'm not sure whether to go slightly smaller or the same size as the right and then smaller in the front.
anyone have any recommendations for places that deliver plants? to canada? or a canadian site?

i think one of my barbs might have internal parasites as well. there is nothing visibly wrong with him but he tends to stay hidden and breathing harder. he won't even come up to eat. what can i use that is safe for plants?

the 29g

before the prune

the10g, you can see the plants i put in on your right.

and my anubias nana is flowering in my 5g! i'm super excited.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode