Apistogramma viejita male - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Apistogramma viejita male

Took some new shots of my male viejita. Very interactive fish, not shy at all. Another one of the apistos I got from Jim over at mainlycichlids.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Gorgeous fish and great pics. I especially like the last shot.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Nice shots! How about some info on the pics/equipment

|
|
|

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Cool fish! Looks like my maciliensis but colorful.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
Nice shots! How about some info on the pics/equipment
Shot with Canon 20d and 100mm 2.8 macro, using wireless 580ex flash triggered by STE2 controller. I usually shoot at F20-22 and 1/250 shutter speed, ISO 100. Easily done with wireless flash setup.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice shots, Ed.

Brilliant, did you mean macmasteri? A. macmasteri is in the same complex and shares a lot of similarities with A. viejita, whereas A. maciliensis is in the A. trifasciata complex.

Eric

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn View Post

Brilliant, did you mean macmasteri? A. macmasteri is in the same complex and shares a lot of similarities with A. viejita, whereas A. maciliensis is in the A. trifasciata complex.
Nope but I see what you mean. They looked similar IIRC. Lesson learned.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:46 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise View Post
Shot with Canon 20d and 100mm 2.8 macro, using wireless 580ex flash triggered by STE2 controller. I usually shoot at F20-22 and 1/250 shutter speed, ISO 100. Easily done with wireless flash setup.
beautiful shot and gorgeous fish Paradise.
I have the same equipment as you but haven't opened my wireless flash yet. I look forward to playing with it. Did you use a sheet or poster board to block at all?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I want some of these buggers.. esp since I found a fish store that has them! will a bunch of them in the same tank get along? or 1 of a bunch of different types? and with rams? any special # or ratios of male to felame needed?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

CardBoard, I have 2 in a 20g, both males. They are much more aggressive with females present. They will definitely establish a pecking order, and I have seen one of my males literally make another one die from inability to come out and feed, though there was never physical damage. Provide lots of cover and big leaf plants. Rams are fine, very similar temper.

F_N, have you been to aquatic-photography.com? there is a link in Eric's (Ibn) signature. It's a site we started a long time ago that is by far the best resource for aquatic photography out there, bar none.

As far as techniques, it's pretty straight forward for fish shots. Flash on top looking down, slightly in front of the subject in an area where it likes to show off. My usual settings are about 1/250, F22, and you control the flash strength using flash exposure compensation. Pretty basic wireless shooting.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Great looking shots. I bet he wonders the tank thinking that he is Mr. Badass.
Looks like in the last picture he was a little feed up with the whole camera time thing.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise View Post
CardBoard, I have 2 in a 20g, both males. They are much more aggressive with females present. They will definitely establish a pecking order, and I have seen one of my males literally make another one die from inability to come out and feed, though there was never physical damage. Provide lots of cover and big leaf plants. Rams are fine, very similar temper.

F_N, have you been to aquatic-photography.com? there is a link in Eric's (Ibn) signature. It's a site we started a long time ago that is by far the best resource for aquatic photography out there, bar none.

As far as techniques, it's pretty straight forward for fish shots. Flash on top looking down, slightly in front of the subject in an area where it likes to show off. My usual settings are about 1/250, F22, and you control the flash strength using flash exposure compensation. Pretty basic wireless shooting.

I am a member of that forum, yes. I learn a lot on that. I won't post real pics until I get it right.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
Great looking shots. I bet he wonders the tank thinking that he is Mr. Badass.
Looks like in the last picture he was a little feed up with the whole camera time thing.
Kind of like that. I find that many fish will learn to strut their stuff if you consistently shoot them. It's like a reflex, once they figure out it's safe, the flash going off stops being a threat signal and starts being a "pose" signal. It's all about consistency in working with them. I find that the longer I have the fish, the easier it is to shoot and the better the shots get.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode