Rookie Tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rookie Tank!

Hey everyone, I have been sort of passive in the aquarium hobby for the last couple of years. I kept my tank running and my fish alive, but school prevented me from spending too much time on it. This semester, I said "the hell with it!" and I am setting up my first (well first = 1 and a halfirst) planted tank! I have a DIY Co2 kit that I put together on the weekend, the 30 gallon tank is home to one fish that survives through the good times and the bad (a talking catfish!).

Here is a picture at the start. As you can see I have those silly clay pots (one is covered in java moss - the one plant i have kept over the years) although I am not a huge fan of the pots, my plan to to put a pair of Kribs in this tank... and, of course, the catfish likes to dodge the light - so they are appropriate for low budget hiding/breeding places.

The plants are as follows...

Lilaeopsis Novaezelandiae (micro sword?) ... The "planned" foreground plant
Anubias Lanceolata... mid right atm.
Hygrophila Augustifolia
Hygrophila Polysperma
Java Moss
UNKNOWN!

The Unknown plant has an odd storey attached to it, three or so years ago I put a few live plants into my tank but only took it semi seriously. Four months ago I moved and put my tank up in my new home (it was a long move, hence the single fish). After about 3 weeks I saw a plant sticking out of the gravel... lord knows how it survived, but it has 5 or 6 leaves now and will probably pull right through with the Co2. I will try and get a close-up picture of it to see if anyone can ID it for me later on this week.

Lastly! I am 100% open to ideas, comments on how to improve, or plant/fish suggestions (but don't try and convince me against the Kribs, this tank will have fry !!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
WELCOME!
What kind of lighting and ferts (if any) do you have?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Hey Gabo, I have two T5 bulbs @ 18 watts each. One is a coral life max, the other is a 6700k. I also have one T8 bulb @ 20 watts, it is an aqua-glo (ie. 18000k). So pretty much 2 watts/gallon of light.

As for fertilizers I have a liquid "Plant Gro NPK". The bottle suggests that it is ideal for Co2 tanks. I have only used it once so far, and will likely only add it occassionally. The gravel itself has been the same stuff I have had for 7 years (in both low population and high population tanks).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I couldn't find any info an the fertilizer. You seem to be set with lighting, what filter do you have?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I have an aquaclear200 on the tank at the moment, and I also picked up a fluval 204 (almost new) from a garage sale for 3 bucks (sweet deal, eh!). Which one would be more ideal? I have left the aquaclear on the tank because I think it will be better for the fish (ie, more bacteria).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode