my first attempt.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
my first attempt....

here is is beginnings of my first attempt at a planted tank. so far Im quite happy with the layout and design of the set up. Im sorry if the pics are crappy, this is also my first attmept at "aquatic" photography.

Specs:

standard 10 Gal
Orbit 20" 1x40 6700/10000K bulb
flourite
Flourish and excel
no c02 yet, waiting on some parts from friends.
AC 20 HOB (floss, sponge, ceramic rings)

Plants:
1 Nana Petita
2 Java Fern
2 Crypt. Wendt. Red
2 Crypt. Balensae

Fish:
6 White cloud
3 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Guppies
1 panda cory
1 oto

and now for the pics

close up of the middle

Full shot

Left Side

Middle (crappy with the lights on)

Right Side

well thats it, please give comments, suggestions, advice.... Teach me!

thanks for looking

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Once you get your CO2 running... more plants and get some dry ferts to start dosing....
What is your lighting schedule as of now?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Light schedule is 10 hours a day... but I think I will be cutting back to 8 hours.

The c02 will be added in the next week, whether it be DIY or pressurized. A friend of mine just broke down his beer meister and Im waiting to see what parts he has, if I cant get what I need from him, then I might just DIY.

More plants are on the way, Jentheplantgeek was kind enough to send me a few plants and Im waiting for the LFS to open today so I can go and get some stem plants for the background.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:09 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Good CO2 is imperative. I def would lower your light schedule until you have CO2 and ferts in place. Jen is nice like that, so you should be set!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
mm.. maybe have them on for 4 hours off for 2 and then on for another 4.. it seems to stop algea growth a bit somehow.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Just a few pointers on pictures of tanks....

1) have the aquarium light on
2) have the camera flash OFF
3) take pictures with ALL other light sources OFF (at night)
4) make sure the camera is completely still -- even setting it on a chair works better than holding it.

I'd love to see a full tank shot following the above guidelines!

Quote:
mm.. maybe have them on for 4 hours off for 2 and then on for another 4.. it seems to stop algea growth a bit somehow.
I think the theory is that plants begin photosynthesis much more quickly than algae. I've tried this theory with limited results.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Ill post up a new pic tonight at some time, following the above guidelines and Ill see what I can come up with.

I cant wait until the tank fills in and the c02 is in. I hope it looks as good as the tanks I have seen on here. This site has been my inspiration in starting a planted tank. In the past I have kept Nano reefs, African rift cichlids in lake specific tanks ( I had all 3 major lakes ) and a paludarium. This is something completely new to me. With that being said I think Im gonna be hooked on this. My fiance is gonna kill me I can see a much bigger tank in the future. but I think Ill be forced to find a new mate if that happens lol
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Hey Bob - I got your plants sent out on Monday, so you should be seeing them soon! I threw in some other stems and a few random things. All the bags are labelled. I may have given you too many floating plants too, but you can just toss what you don't use. (FYI - it is a good idea to dry out and tie up in a plastic bag any plants that you toss, just to make sure they don't get in local waterways).

Great looking 10 gallon, and really great species choice so far! Crypts are delightful plants! The fast-growing stuff I sent you should prevent any algae spikes until everything gets settled in and comfy after your CO2 is up and running. Check out Aquarium Plants, Aquatic Plants, Planted Aquariums, and Aquarium Plant Fertilizer for cheap dry ferts - there is a sticky thread on here that should help you with your dosing.

It is great to see experienced aquarium keepers start to get a green thumb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Here are a few pics of the tank with the formentioned technique, I think they look betterm but I still need to learn how to play with this thing. you would think that being a tech geek that I would have learned how to use a digi camera by now.

alright, thats it for now....hope you enjoy
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
looks much better with the new pictures, I have one thing to say though! MORE PLANTS I always have problems when I understock a tank with plants. more plants = more stable tank usually!

oh and the 1 otto and 1 cory cat? forget what you would be recomended and get one more of each, they do best with others, i have kept 5 ottos and 4 cory cats in a 10g community, you will be fine.

10g is my favorite tank to date.

- fish newb -
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, I got the oto and the cory on the same day from a really crappy petco near home I would have liked 3-5 corys and 3 otos but I got all that was available.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get a chance to get out to a really great lfs called east coast aquatics and pick up a few corys and otos.

as for plants, jen has been kind enough to send me few and I hope to pick up a few at the lfs tomorrow. I went to one today but selection was a little slim, some Java fern and anacharis.

thanks again for the replies and kind words

Bob
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i would recomend not getting more than one more of each otto and cory with the tank so new, later on 2-6 months later depending on how your tank is doing you might want to look into getting more if you think the tank can handle it. one of the reasons i had 3 cory cats and 5 ottos in my 10g was because i knew in a few months they would be transfered into my 55g tank that i was setting up.

moss always looks good in a 10g tank, makes it look much bigger! lots of people have diffrent mosses around here, myself included! so if you want some, ask me or one of the other people around the forum we usually can trade, sell, or give moss to people!

- fish newb -
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Got the plants from Jen today!!!!

Jen,
thank you very much the plants where more than generous and they looked great, my fiance really liked that the penny wort came with a few straglers (small snails) she thinks some of the most minute things are cute. any way back to the point. I got most of the penny wort in and just about all of the other plants. The little bit I didnt use today I put in a small 1 gal tank I have and I placed alittle light over it. THANK YOU again!

I used the monofilament approch to keeping the floaters into one corner and I am currently using the Hygrophila polysperma "sunset" as a foreground plant until it gets acclimated I wanted to give it the most light I could and well thats where the light was available.

The fish are far more relaxed and seem to really like the cover the new plants have provided. I will post pics tomorrow at some point.

Thanks again

Bob
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Great to hear they made it ok! I'm looking forward to pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

here we go. I added a few things since last week.

1. Hagen c02
2. more plants.
- Java moss
- Floaters courtesy of Jen
- Najas courtesy of Jen
- Brazilian pennywort courtesy of Jen
- Hygro 'sunset' courtesy of Jen
- And what I think is Rotala in the back behind the wood in the middle
3. Fish
-2 more corys
-2 Badis Badis
4. rescape

thats all I have for now.. thanks for looking. and Jen if you read this thanks again.

Bob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode