My first sort of "journal" for a tank. Here goes!
I set up this tank October of last year. It's been through a variety of transformations, but what I considered to be my "final product" was this right here:
It was beautiful and sexy and did gloriously for me. The plants stayed healthy, as did the couple shrimp (and nerites, and a micro crab) I put in there at various times.
However, the last two weeks have been a losing battle against fast-growing stems of rotala, and some suddenly evangelical anubias that decided to get all holy (har). All while crippled by a less-than-glamorous work schedule and general lack of will (tiny tanks are super fiddly).
So yesterday I finally mustered the courage to go through that ordeal yet again, so here's the product of that.
First order of business was draining the tank and removing all flora/fauna. No issues there. Then came deciding the hardscape. I'd had the same piece of wood in there the same way since I first set up the tank, so I wanted to try something else this time. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I was vastly limited to only wood and rocks I had that could fit in a tiny, tiny tank.
So that was easy.
Moving forward, I decided to move the larger piece of anubias to one of my larger tanks, as that plant alone took up about half of this one. The smaller anubias would end up on top of the wood, and I tied some Christmas moss I recently(ish) aquired around the side and the base to replace the withering Java moss.
Now came the fiddly bits. I hate the fiddly bits....
The rotala had to go. Again, moved into a larger tank. I absolutely loved the way it looked, and it had become a beautiful pink color due to the bright, in-your-face lighting resulting from a power compact being two inches away, but it was growing way too quickly and constantly trying to replant the tops wasn't the kind of thing that gave me a warm, cuddly feeling inside. In it's place is some cardinal plant and baby tears (restricted to one corner for ease of trimming, hopefully). The java fern remained, and some water lettuce, to appease the shrimp who seem to love it so much.
And there it is. There are a couple of things I'm still unsure of at this point. I'm thinking I should maybe just remove the java fern completely, and I'm considering adding a small Christmas moss carpet to the right side of the tank. I also need to replace the water lettuce that's in there, because that stuff is looking straight up sad. Straight up.
1.3 gallon tnak - 4.5"x8"x8.5"
Lighting: 1 X 13W power compact 50/50 10000K/Actinic 420nm
Dosing: 2 drops of Flourish 2x a week; 3 drops of Flourish Excel daily
The filter is the intake and motor from a Marina S10 with a Fluval prefilter sponge
Water change is 30oz (~20%) weekly
Flora: Anubias barteri var. nana; Java fern; Cardinal plant; Baby tears; Christmas moss; Water lettuce
Fauna: 2 Cherry shrimp (Ebira and Joe); Micro Crab (Eugene); Zebra Nerite (Rockefeller)
I'll try to keep this updated, and I'll add some more (higher resolution) pictures in the future of the tank and my lil' critters in there. Until then!