20 Long - 56k Warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
20 Long - 56k Warning

Here is my 20 long. Nothing fantastic, just learning more with each tank. This is the latest in my learning process.

Unknown Fishie - Can anyone identify?

Full shot:

Left:

Center:

Right:

Plants:
Anubias (multiple varieties)
Crypts (multiple varieties)
Java Ferns (once again, multiple varieties)
Java Moss
Taiwan Moss
And an unknown plant

Fish:
9 Unknown Tetras
2 Dwarf Plecos (clown, bushynose)
2 Swordtails
3 SAEs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Nice..

Specs?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Specs:

20long
Pressurized C02 w/ in tank diffusor, Rex Grigg regulator, and PH controller
Greg Watson Fertz - Although havent dosed in a while b/c of algae issue a few weeks ago
Eheim 2213 filtration
Coralife 65watt compact flourescent light

Am I missing anything?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
I assumed substrate is 100% Flourite, Nice tank it looks like a 60 gallon tank and not a 20 gal tank

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Fish looks like a scissortail tetra/rasbora, but the red fins are throwing me off.

Your tank is very nice looking. I would suggest going for some longer (vals possibly) plants in the back...try to create depth in the tank.

Also, what kind of algae are you getting? It might be the absence of a particular fert, rather than an excess....

Last Q: how many/frequency of water changes?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
the fish looks like a variation of the x-ray tetra. (pristella maxillaris)

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, the substrate is 100% flourite. Water changes are 7 gallons once a week. The algae was the beard algae, I believe. It looked a lil different than most pictures of it, but couldnt find anything else it could possibly be.

Thanks for the tips yall.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
At first i thought your substrate was that crappy Flora-Max, because your tank looks much larger than 20gal. Flourite, however, is my substrate of choice.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

Last edited by the_noobinator; 09-27-2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

This is my 1st time with Flourite, before I just used regular gravel. Can definatly tell a difference between the two. The next tank I do (hopefully in the next 6 months) will be with the ADA substrate system. It is good to live in Houston and be able to drive over to the ADG store and just pick stuff like that up.

About the fish, I believe I have found out what it is today. Its common name is "Jelly Bean Tetra" and the scientific is "Ladigesia roloffi." All of the pictures I have seen look very similar to my fish, only real difference is mine have more orange to them and thats probably just b/c they are more settled.

Thanks for the help and kind words. This is my 2nd planted tank (1st attempt at any type of scape) and I am learning as I go. Just have to keep progressing with each one.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I dont think those are scissor tails. Scissor tails have black tails, and are silver not bronze. They are in a tight pack though like scissor tails like to be. It no doubt that thos are rasboras though. Though Maybe the camera is giving off different colors.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Camera isnt giving off different colors. They are definatly those colors. So you dont think they are Ladigesia roloffi?

Here is a link I found with a decent pic. You can see the colors and everything match. Even have hues of orange in their fins and tails. Also, have the same small black spot on the upper fin (sorry, dont know technical name).

On another note, dang those plecos are good hiders. With all these plants I cant seem to find em. The clown disappears for days and then just shows up. I was hoping the bushynose would stay pretty much on the glass, but cant find him either at the moment.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:16 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice looking tank. The unknown fish might be Red Scissortails(Rasbora caudimaculata).
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Figured I should give a link of what I found:

Ladigesia roloffi

Species Summary
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM

This is pretty good! Even out the substrate in front, and try a smaller one-- maybe marsilea as it is also a low-light plant. Great fish choice too, I've never seen them before!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
You tank is nice and your fish i like very much. I saw the same fish at Ocean Aquaruium in San Francisco. The owner of the store Justin told nme they were Jelly bean Tetra. They were schooling/ hideing really tight in a group.
Love em can't shell out $6. a piece at this time though.
Do they tend to hide in the back of your tank as well?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode