Pinks 15 Gallon high Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Pinks 15 Gallon high Journal

Hey guys so Russ has posted his 36 gallon bow, and I have been neglecting to put mine on here. Well the time comes to show off my tank.(I think I tried to do one and it failed before so I trying to better it now)

The first tank Russ and I started with was this 15 gallon high, of which we accidently found in some LFS in Big Rapids, Michigan. We were attending college and this was our first project together. I told Russ I had an intrest in planted, and he did so much reasearch it made my head spin. Before long he was speaking a new language and I had the blonde look on my face when he talked to me. Well after being on this site between classes I finially learned the language. It was a great bonding experience. Well we couldn't actually decide on the plants so we had the empty tank.

We put some pool filter sand in the bottom, some driftwood and fish we got from a not so local fish store( an hour away )

So that was our first set-up, kinda lacking everything really, but it was a start. We practiced testing, Russ kept telling me not to feed the fish so much, and I had to build muscle to lift the bucket we used to do water changes with over to the sink. If you hadn't noticed the driftwood is at a werid angle, yea it has suction cups on the back off it so we didn't think it needed to soak. Well as you can tell its floating. Always soak!

This was after a month, the plant order came in. What you don't see is the ten gallon that toke almost all the plants below this one. So the left over plants went into the 15. Well there wasn't enough plants so the green water soon started to come, but we did so many water changes it was in control for the most part. So school was over and we had to move a 15 and a 10 gallon 800 miles from michigan to new york. But that feat is a thread in itself(if you really want to know pm and I will tell you).

so we moved the tanks, stayed the summer I have no pics of this period since we didn't have a digital camara, but it wasn't anything to look at then. So we went back to school, and then came back again by then we were so good at moving the tanks it was great. Shortly there after Russ got his 36 gallon and I really liked the eco-complete so I got rid of the sand and put in eco-complete.

As you can see I added a few plants. One to note is the Anubus I got from a fellow NJAS member . I love the look of eco-complete. I was trying to get light behind the tank and the whole white background. It didn't work to well but we did ask Jay Luto what he used for lights. Russ and I really should go watch him take those awsome pics one day.

So this was taken just before I ripped it down again for the spring auction. I do not have any recent pics trying to clean the tank up and will try to post most recent pictures this weekend. Well sorry for the long story hope you aren't bored to death by it.

Thanks,
Pink

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i like the setups in the last 2 pics, specifically the last one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal:

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 PM

The setups just keep getting better and i must say the last 2 look really good. Great job!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey thanks guys, have any comments on layout? Maybe a suggestion for better picture taking?

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Hey there, looking nice!
I always love transformation series like this.

As for the camera side of things...that Panasonic DMC-FZ20 should be able to give you a lot more results. For a start, it has a Leica lens!

Aside from that, do you have an off-board flash for it? If you want better results, you are going to have get that dial off of Program mode, and maybe start playing in the Av or Tv modes, which can take some getting used to.

You might want to venture over to here for some further photo specific info...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
ever since a freak accident with my camera (don't ask), i have been restricted to my razr phone. it's terrible. i do have a friend willing to come photograph with about 5-6K wrapped up in photography equipment.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Joe!

Thanks for the ideas, you are getting past what I understand with camera's. So I make Russ read the post. And you weren't at last meeting.

noobinator, as much as I would love that. You are a bit of a trip away. Besides I don't think Russ would let someone take pictures which he could do himself. But thank you! maybe the next time we go to That Fish Place maybe we could hang out?

-Pink

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 04:55 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nice start on the journal. So, you went to Ferris State, huh ? I grew up in GR, and Mom worked at Grand Valley State...which I still think of as a college . But, enough ancient history.

Personally, I love that shot second from the bottom. The layout looks nice and the photo is great. Just repeat that process again . As to my photo process
- do it at night with no other lights on in the house except the tank lights
- turn off the camera flash (as I don't have a separate light source)
- set the camera to 'flourescent light' mode (at least mine has a setting)
- dial down the exposure to '-0.7'...whatever that means
- set the timer
- balance the camera on a tripod
- click the button and step away.

Keep those updates coming!
Brian.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
I was trying to get light behind the tank and the whole white background. It didn't work to well but we did ask Jay Luto what he used for lights. Russ and I really should go watch him take those awsome pics one day.Pink
Hey !

Components are fairly simple, especially for small tank like yours. You need white background, preferably Foamcore Board (thick and flat) and even light source directed at the background. The key here is - overexposure. Things could be tweaked even further in PhotoShop but initial light setup should be sufficient.

Stay tune for some interesting news We should be able to get together as a group for some LIVE photography tips

Regards,
Jay from

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode