4FT aquascape journal - 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
4FT aquascape journal - 56k warning

After a long period of waiting and saving, the day has finally arrived .
Ive finally got time to do somehting with the fishtank thanks to a 3week holiday from uni. Well lets start things up ...

ps : I gladly accept criticism as it'll help to learn and progress with this project.

DAY 1
Over the weekend i was able to get my hands on a 2ft x 18" x 18" tank from a fellow hobbyist.
This 2ft tank shall be used as a temporary home for all my fish whilst i work on the aquascape.

Ok, i started the day by removing the rocks from my 4ft tank and placing it into the 2ft. here are the rocks with attached java moss.

Transferred fish to 2ft tank -
Catching the 17 congo tetras was a breeze. On the other hand, catching the 7bristlenose was difficult as they kept hidinng under the rocks and driftwood.
When i moved the rocks/driftwood, mulm from the gravel would rise n cloud everything making the job even harder.

Fishes in and loving their temporary home

Big mistake not taking out all the water from 4ft tank. Mulm from gravel arose as i was mixing in extra gravel(another inch of plain gravel).
As im wanting to keep the mulm for plants which are going to be planted, i waited for everthing to settle.

1hour of settling

2hrs of settling

I decided to take out more of the water, whilst avoiding to vacuum the mulm, so i can actually see what im doing.

I then placed rocks which i picked up from a landscaping place located in Terrey Hills, NSW. Here is a link for those who needs information:
Australian Native Landscapes :: Terrey Hills

here is a picture of the rocks i had picked up before i had placed in tank

Did u notice the blue tape ? thats the measurement for the focal point for those that didnt know . How to get it ?
1. measure the length of the tank
2. divide that length by 2.618
3. use the resulting length and measure it from either side of the tank

front view of the rocks and focal point

side view of rockscape

topview of rockscape

final shot of the day, rockscape and substrate in place.

As for tomorrow, i'll be visitng my LFS to check out their plant stocks and i might also buy some trace element dosing bottles.
Hopefully they have got the plants which i need which are anubias (coffeefolia & nana) and a few crypts.

Last edited by zephyr; 09-27-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Great start.
It is all trial and error so it is great when you put things like " I should have......" Though looking at progression pics for a perfect tank is nice, the ones that really help people are ones that show steps that didn't work and what to do instead. Thanks for that!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

great start

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:19 PM

Going along well so far.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

nice i like those rocks, but i dont like the gravel.

90 gal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sNApple View Post
nice i like those rocks, but i dont like the gravel.
:S low budget project hehe. i woulda liked some onyx black gravel or some fluorite but it costs abit too much for me ><.

update: setback on the project. i checked out my LFS (4 of them) and checked their plant stocks. They have none which i want so i had to order a few. LFS says 1week >< i dont think i can last that long hehehehe.
Out of curiosity....Has anyone bought plants from ebay?

4FT Tropical Tank

Tank
size: 4ft x 20" x 14"
lighting: 1x 40W 6500k
Co2: DIY
substrate: plain white gravel

Fish
6x Siamese Algae Eater
16x Congo Tetra
5x Leopard Cory

Plants
Anubias barteri
Dwarf Riccia
Java moss
Rotala Rotundifolia
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Algae Grower

nice rocks but will it a bit smaller for a 20" tall tank?

off topic: which part of australia you from? i'm in queensland, also thinking to buy plant through ebay.

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
40W Azoo FL Super Light x 1
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H
2.5L CO2 Tank + Reactor 24H
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank happening.

Off topic again: Don't get caught bringing in plants from oversea's into Australia.

You can always add but never take.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aussie Style
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching4ever View Post
nice rocks but will it a bit smaller for a 20" tall tank?

off topic: which part of australia you from? i'm in queensland, also thinking to buy plant through ebay.
it is a little small depthwise, but i dont have teh money to buy another setup. i have setup the rocks with a space of the magnetic cleaner seperating them from the glass.

im in sydney

4FT Tropical Tank

Tank

Fish
6x Siamese Algae Eater
16x Congo Tetra
5x Leopard Cory

Plants
Anubias barteri
Dwarf Riccia
Java moss
Rotala Rotundifolia
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello again everyone sorry for the lack of updates on this journal. It has just been frustrating with orders not being able to come in and the amount of time waiting etc...but everythign is all good now.

Initial planting of 4x anubias nana within the rockscape.

Front view of planting.

Top view of planting.

Here is some off-cuts i had trimmed from the matured anubias afzelli which i was holiding in my 5gallon tank. There are 4 offcuts with each having about 6 leaves.

Anubias afzellis planted.

Front view of planting.

Top view of planting. The space is slowly being engulfed by the greenery.

Oblique view of tank from the left hand side.

I went back to the landscaping place and grabbed a few rocks. The rocks will be used as attachments for each anubias cuttings and to fill in the inner circle of the rocks.

I have removed all the plants once again. More anubias nana have arrived, 8x to be pricise which i have ordered from LFS & ebay. Each one i had attached to the rock chips i had prepared earlier n attached them togehter using think rubber bands.

Front view of the plants.

Plant pieces all placed into the rockscape. The tank is abit of a mess atm but still going smoothly.

OK tank is filled and cleaned. Rotala Rotundifolia planted behind centre piece rocks and Dward Riccia floating about on the surface. I have decided to not place any fish in yet (althoguht there is 2x guppies in there) as i have orverdosed with fertiliser, Seachem Flourish, to allow the plants to establish themselves.

Front view.

Side view from left hand side.

Oblique view of the tank.

View from left had side.

Full tank view from left hand side.

Oblique view once again.

Top view. Sorry for the reflection of the lighitng, making the rotala rotundifolia abit hard to see.

Side view from right hand side of tank.

After letting the fishtank settle for about 3weeks i have finally been able to place all my congo tetras into the tank. Also i have used an MDF board as the background placed behind the fishtank. Atm it isnt painted yet but that will soon be done. the riccia afloat is really flourishing and has nearly covered the whole tank surface.

4FT Tropical Tank

Tank

Fish
6x Siamese Algae Eater
16x Congo Tetra
5x Leopard Cory

Plants
Anubias barteri
Dwarf Riccia
Java moss
Rotala Rotundifolia
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Here's some criticism, take it for what its worth. Your rock placement looks a little too deliberate to me. By deliberate i mean its all clumped very tightly, and consequently looks unnatural. Your rock, plant, and fish choice are all beautiful, the scaping just needs some tweaking in my opinion.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmoede View Post
Here's some criticism, take it for what its worth. Your rock placement looks a little too deliberate to me. By deliberate i mean its all clumped very tightly, and consequently looks unnatural. Your rock, plant, and fish choice are all beautiful, the scaping just needs some tweaking in my opinion.
thanks ian they were deliberately placed....it was bit hard, due the lack of depth i hvae in the tank and was thinking of teh rooting for the anubias.any tips on how to make the scene a little more natural??

thanks for that

4FT Tropical Tank

Tank

Fish
6x Siamese Algae Eater
16x Congo Tetra
5x Leopard Cory

Plants
Anubias barteri
Dwarf Riccia
Java moss
Rotala Rotundifolia
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I feel your pain, i have a 55 long that was a bitch to scape because of a lack of depth. I would try to steer clear of any orderliness with the arranging of your rocks. For instance, you shouldn't increase in height from right to left like you do with the smaller rocks, or go in a perfect line. Go for a more random arrangement of the rocks that ring the larger set in the middle. For examples, search iwagumi on here or on aquaticplantcentral. PEACE
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmoede View Post
I have a 55g as well, haven't bothered trying to scape it yet but I have a plan...

But for yours, Leave it how it is for around 3 months let it grow in see how it does. Then start moving things around if you want. I have a feeling the anubis will grow over the front rocks and will look cool..

Amano always lets his tanks sit for a few (2+) months before he rearranges his tanks, Check out general forum stickey. Amano Notes 2005 (I think..)

Looks good and will mature over time...

-Andrew
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
thanks ian they were deliberately placed....it was bit hard, due the lack of depth i hvae in the tank and was thinking of teh rooting for the anubias.any tips on how to make the scene a little more natural??

thanks for that
I think the main problem is that the smaller rocks are arranged in an obviously man-made ring around the center rock. It looks like a cross betwee a crop circle and a formal garden fountain or something at the moment. Maybe you could build them up into more of a pile, so they look like the naturally moved into position.

I think any step in terms of placement you can take towards offsetting the obvious symmetry the current hardscape shows would be helpful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode