Faltered's 36g low-tech tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Faltered's 36g low-tech tank

I recently set up a 36 gallon bowfront tank. Plants went in on the 13th. Here are a couple pics from then.

And I took a couple pics today of the tank from the same angles. I was surprised to see how the plants have filled in over the course of just two weeks.

I have some anacharis, amazon swords, chilensis sags, dwarf sags, java fern, wisteria, and wendtii-red. The wendtii suffered some serious melt and lost almost all of its leaves, but I'm happy to see it putting out new growth. The dwarf sags in the foreground aren't doing much. Everything else took to the planting really well.

I'm not planning on injecting any CO2 or dosing as of yet. I'd like to see how things fare first.

Right now I only have two danios and two ottos (for the recent algae bloom I've had). Not 100% certain what fish I'll choose to add later on. I was thinking a small school of rasboras/tetras or some bala sharks and blue rams. Any fish suggestions?

Just wanted to say I love reading all of your posts and seeing photos of your tanks- very inspiring. Thanks for looking at this newbie's photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Finnex Ray2 7000K dual LED, eco-complete substrate, XP2 filter
Plants: cryptocoryne, wendtii red, & hygrophilia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looking good, but be aware that low-tech has a lot to do with low light, and having lots of light demands a strict fertilizer regimen, which includes CO2.

I have the same size tank, with around 60W of light and good fertilizer dosing, and it is very enjoyable/stable.

Good luck, looking forward to an update in 2 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i can't see your pictures?

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Wasser. Although I do have 2x65w lights, one is actinic and I don't really consider it of much value to the plants. So I'm really looking at 65w over my 36 gallon which puts me at 1.8wpg.

I'm hopeful I can keep the algae at bay and the plants happy. We shall see.

: Finnex Ray2 7000K dual LED, eco-complete substrate, XP2 filter
Plants: cryptocoryne, wendtii red, & hygrophilia
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Its nice to see another 36 gallon bowfront tank. Doesn't seem to be many here. Just incase you didn't know but all crypts usually go through a melting phase when transfered, they look like they die off, but they will come back, have patience though they are slow growers. That actinic light the plants can't use, but that doesn't mean algae can't. Anyways you really should tie that java fern to driftwood, it doesn't like being in direct soil.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode