noobinator's 10 gallon (edited: 12/1/06) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
noobinator's 10 gallon (edited: 12/1/06)

a friend of mine gave me a 10 gallon, so i figure why not. here's the very rough start.

1. the lights have got to go. i'll probably get the coralife 20" 28W fixture, taking out the 50/50 that comes with it, and putting in a 6700K bulb.

2. i'm thinking about a small "beach" in the front right. i can get a nice looking 5lb bag of sand for $3.50 at work (my LFS). is that workable? with the terraced look, i thought it might be a nice touch.

3. the previous owner had glued slate to the back, so i'm thinking about getting some christmas or taiwanese moss and attaching it to the back.

4. finally i have a tank that i can do a glosso or HC carpet with, because it's not extremely high, like my 30XH.

5. time to rig up another DIY CO2 setup.

6. i'm also going to stock this sucker with shrimp. i've been waiting for that for a while, and now i can drop some money on real shrimp without my tiger barbs annihilating them. i'll probably also get a decent school of neons. i also saw a school of this fish that was about the size of a neon. it was whitish/grey with red fins. does anyone know what this is? i think that would look nice as well.

anyway, if anyone has any comments / suggestions, i would greatly appreciate them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal:

Last edited by the_noobinator; 12-01-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

no comments? i'd like to hear some before i finish scaping this.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
I'm glad you got rid of that dancing guy on your signature. He was starting to make my head hurt (no offense meant).

I would move the driftwood off center, possibly to the right side of the tank. I moss wall would be cool , but it will take a long time to fill in. If you want to go for a terraced look take a look at Nellis' tank, I love what he did with his slate and I think you could incorporate hc into the landscape.
Its at the end of this thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ry-nano-3.html

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah i was reading about moving the focus of the tank off center. the cloudiness is gone in the tank. ugh, i have a penguin 330 on it for now. i'd like to hook up an xp1 but i don't know. unfortunately, i have to wait to buy more soil/rock/equipment for the tank until next paycheck, as this paycheck is going to finishing our stone patio and my beginning of october bills.

thanks for the link to Nellis's tank. my terracing probably won't be as pronounced, but it gave me a good idea

i don't feel like a glosso carpet for a shrimp and neon tank will look the best, so HC will probably be the way to go for this one. i'm trying to give it the illusion of being a larger tank than it is, so a thin bladed plant is probably the best route. correct?

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

bought some sand tonight and started the rescape. tomorrow night i'm terracing the whole right side. saturday i will be getting new lights. sometime next week i hope to start planting. that means i'll be looking for ground cover plants. if any of you have any trimmings you're going to throw away, i'll gladly pay shipping and a little extra. also my LFS just have java moss, but i'm really looking for some christmas moss or taiwanese moss for the back wall.

here's a picture of it in my extremely messy office. i got yelled at because my moving boxes aren't even all unpacked, and i'm setting up a new tank.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so here it is fully terraced with the new lights. i got some RCS at work today (paid $3 a pop, way too much compared to buying off of someone on here) and a school of black neons. now i need plants.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hah, you think $3 is outragous? They're $5 a piece here at my LFS, plus most are less than 1/2cm long!

BTW. it's looking good!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:06 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks good....
Quote:
I'm glad you got rid of that dancing guy on your signature.
but I love "the office"!

Hopefully you aren't going to end up with soaked books. Give my track record.....I know i would!

It's kinda hard to see in that last picture - did you do some sort of textured wall background? What is it made of?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it's actually grey slate pieces that were siliconed to the back. i figured i could probably just work with it since the shrimp would love a moss wall anyway. i was worried for a little that the shrimp would wander too close to the intake for my power filter, since i haven't had a tank this shallow in a long time, but they're all still alive and feeding. it stinks because at the moment, there's not enought shrimp in there to eat a whole algae wafer, and of course the first thing they did was drag it down into the sand, so i have half of a clumpy water-laden algae wafer messing up my little "beach" already. at least the school of neons are calming down and are less squirrely than when i put them in. i know they would love for me to start planting though.

i actually braced the shelf that it's sitting on, because with the hardscape and water, that tank easily weighs 120lbs, if not more.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it's been a little over a week. thanks to fresh_newby, i've got some elatine tiandra to grow in. she also sent some guppy grass, so i stuffed it into the back corner for now. i'll probably try to distribute it at a later date. the green makes it look much improved already and is adding another dimension to the black neons.

since the last post i also put legs on the lights, which was enough to help the light get to all the corners of the tank.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Looks really nice, the sand in the middle is a nice touch and the wood looks great placed all alone, though maybe a few small stones might look good?

Black neons are cool lil fish, and the plants look good. Cant wait for it to fill in more.

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

do you mean around the driftwood or in the eventual lawn areas? i was looking at a nice piece of spearmint rock today at work. i might replace the vertical piece of red slate up top with it.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 05:17 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like your hardscape!

Where on earth did you a get 20" coralife fixture?!

Also, is that bookshelf level?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha no it is not level, but i haven't had anyone over to help me lift it and put some cardboard under the right side.

this is my first open top tank, and the evaporation rate is ridiculous.

i'm not sure if i like the sand anymore. the amanos poop so much.
on that note, i lost one today. i know that flourish has copper in it. could that be a possibility. i dose that and excel. no need for the potassium yet and i'm not dumb enough to dose iron.

the 20" fixture is actually the only one with the appropriate wattage. if my memory serves me correct, the only other 20" fixture they make is the 96W one. this one came with a 28W 50/50 bulb in, so i just switched it out for a 10000K. i'm thinking about adding a the 12" coralife fixture with the 6700K bulb, just for added wattage and to give it some dual daylight. it's either that or get the 13W clip on fixture (made by marineland i think?).

this elatine tiandra is real nice (thanks fish_newby!), but i'm not doing something right. i think the clippings that i planted are too long. i want to keep it as low as possible, so people can see the terrace effect.

also, a friend of mine gave me some riccia fluitans that i spent an hour or so picking duckweed out of. right now it's just sitting in some water under a strong desklamp. the water has some excel in it, so i'll probably attach it to a piece of slate and drop it in as soon as it grows into a decent clump.

do you think dwarf hairgrass would make a decent sandy lawn if the shrimp poop starts to annoy me too much?

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator View Post
i'm not sure if i like the sand anymore. the amanos poop so much.
on that note, i lost one today. i know that flourish has copper in it. could that be a possibility. i dose that and excel. no need for the potassium yet and i'm not dumb enough to dose iron.
I have plenty of shrimp and dose flourish, and they seem to be fine. They are reproducing so i guess that's a good sign. Nice tank btw. I can't wait to see how it matures.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode