Serious Photo Shoot-- "Naupaka Coast" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Serious Photo Shoot-- "Naupaka Coast"

When you reach 1000 pageviews at deviantart, it's customary to release something special as thanks to your fans. In this last week, my account finally reached 1000 pageviews (in large part to the support from aquascaping forumers I'm sure). I decided, that the only piece that could merit this special spot (and then become my featured piece) is a full-tank shot of the current "Naupaka Coast." I realize the tank (being only 3 weeks old) is still at a very immature stage. That said, the plant condition has reached a good point for some "serious-style progress photos." The folks at devART won't know the difference anyway.

Thanks for your support everyone, and enjoy the pics

My close-ups are still really weak compared to others (like Paradise or Aquasaur), but I'm trying!

And Full tank shots:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
awesome.....just awesome

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:05 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
great shots! This tank looks so natural.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I gotta tell you, I love those twigs. Excellent idea.
May just have to use some.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
thats rotala green right at the center? why my rotala green are bending in different position, how to make the green like yours? anyway thats a nice tank

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys!

Cooper-- I haven't really trimmed the rotala (or any of the other plants) yet, save for the odd stem that tried to creep ONTO my tenellus and HC. What you see is just the way it's been growing on its own in my tank.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
What camera and lens are you using for all of these pictures? Great job, I envy you.

John

Follow on IG: @glassaqua

90p ADA
5n Ultum Nature
3n Ultum Nature
20c Ultum Nature
20c Ultum Nature
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (80/100%)
Sweet looking! Nice picture! What kind of camera are you using? I want great shots like that. My camera is the sony H5 7.2mp. Do you think I need a micro lens because my micro on my camera is mama! (So-So) I cant wait to show my tank when its grown in, but I this time I'm fighting gray fuzz-hair algae. When are you planning on visiting Japan again?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

lava rocks?

90 gal.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

turtlehead-- Canon EOS 10D (a hand-me-down from my uncle), and a 18-200mm lens. Personally, I want to take good photos, but I don't think the next best aquascaper in the world will be whoever takes the best photos-- it'll be the one who aquascapes the best! Ya-ha

gabestone-- tsugi no ikuno wa, mada [censored][censored][censored][censored]eimasen kedo, rainen no haru gakki ryugakku suru ni ikitai. Ikeru to iindesuyo. Micro-renzu wa nan no mono? Macro to iu nara, kawanai mo ii to omou . . . takai mono dana, sore? Ore wa [Close-up] firuta wo tsukau kedo, oreno kamera no macro was mama yori ii to omou. Toki-doki firuta wo tsukawanaide mo macro shashin wo toru. mmm, daga, oreno macro shashin wa mada mada amari yokunai. Homu no macro renzu wa benri dana . . . Gabestone-san no suiso ni, yoku ganbere kuree.

(I still don't know when the next time I got to Japan is but, I want to study abroad at next spring semester. I hope I can go. What's a micro lens? If it's macro we're talking about, I think it's okay to not buy one . . . they're expensive, yah? I use "Close-Up" filters but, I think my camera's macro is better than so-so. Sometimes I take macro shots even without filters. Mmm, but, my macro shots are still not that good. A real macro lens is a really convenient thing, ya . . . In regards to your own aquarium, please work real hard!

)

I probably made a lot of mistakes in my Japanese (and that translation is also rough), but I just really like practicing! And sorry for the rough language-- we're studying keigo in class now and it's driving me crazy!!

Snapple-- you can get more details in my journal thread, but yeah they're lava rocks.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger View Post
turtlehead-- Canon EOS 10D (a hand-me-down from my uncle), and a 18-200mm lens. Personally, I want to take good photos, but I don't think the next best aquascaper in the world will be whoever takes the best photos-- it'll be the one who aquascapes the best! Ya-ha
Steven,

Thank you for sharing your amazing tank. It is a pleasure to look at.

I would like to comment on above statement. None of us can't say that Mr. Takashi Amano is not a successful aquascaper or photographer. Some of his remarks at the last ADA Party were about photography. Although photography is not 100% what this hobby is all about, visual presentation has huge impact on how your work will be judged. Mr. Amano mentioned that some of 2006 entries would have placed higher if "photography department" was improved.

I strongly recommend Rio Negro by Takashi Amano if you don't have one yet.

Regards,
Jay from

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:39 PM

I just love the photographs. I really have to hand it to you steven for your artistic talents and photography skills. It is what made everything come together. Your aquascape is really very pleasing to look at and with such great artistic skills at your disposal,i must say you have further enhanced the pleasure that we can derive from it. Great job!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip off there Jay. I'll try to get a copy sometime!

What I said earlier, I just would like to think that creativity as an aquascaper is something rare and special, right? Also, that it is possible to have others do the photography for you if you lack the skill to do it yourself. However, I know you're right about the importance of the quality of photography/presentation, especially in regards to contests. I probably still have the tendancy to act like an idealistic brat a lot of the time.

*blush* Thanks YouHo
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You have skills.

John P.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Beautiful! I left you a comment on DA.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode