Sietch's 122g - The start - New pics 30-10-06 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sietch's 122g - The start - New pics 30-10-06

Hello everybody,

I have just finished to plant my open top new tank that some of you may have seen in the DIY section !

I cannot wait to show you some pictures (really bad, I know, just shot after a few hours of planting) :

Any comment to help me improve this water cube is the most welcome !

Sietch
Lost in the desert...

Last edited by Sietch31; 10-30-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Looks amazing. What fish are going in there?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like where this is going. I'd sure like to see some ADA Glassware in there, though! I like how you brought the sand around that one side. I haven't seen that done too often.

What lighting are you using?

John P.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

That Looks amazing, can't wait to see it develop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Very nice, looks so clean and I love the "island" you creating with the use of sand. Cant wait to see this bad boy fill in!

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Frameless ADA style... on pedestal type too. Now that is tasty! Good luck to you, it is quite a challenge to decor it multi sides (and keeping stable with that low plant load). Lets see some specs please?

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
is this the no lighting tank idea ? case if it is it seems bright you must have decent room lighting ! it looks amazing cant wait to see it grow in

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:42 AM

I really love the open tank concept. If only i had a tank like that. Love the island effect you have created as well. Even though the tank is in it's early stages of setting up,it is already a beauty IMO. l'd love to see it develop. Great job!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:49 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I love the set up. I can just see how it will grow in. Great job!. Get some lillies or knock offs though. That white hosing is taking away from the serenity you are trying to create with your scape and other components.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the kind words !

To D.Gilly, yes it is the no-light tank as you say !
But now there is light, I made a DIY fixture. I am still thinking of no-light though....

I'll give some specs:
You can see pics of construction here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...t-fixture.html
Tank is 136x59x57cms (53"x23"x22")
Light: I installed 6x55W PC lights, 6,500K with electronic ballasts. On the pictures above only 2x55W are on.
Filter is a 2028 for time being. I plan to add my 2026 on the other side when I stop my other tank (still a plant growing tank)
I do not plan for CO2, but time will tell.
I already started adding some Excel to help plant settle down.

Plants:
- A forest of Crypts ! (that's the plan)
- Echinodorus Amazonica,
- Valisneria
- Echinodorus Tenellus
- Anubias on the driftwood.

I do not plan to add more plant species (maybe some fast growing plant that I still have in my other tank to help with algae in case but only temporary)
The only one I would like to add would be a lotus on the far left end of the drifwood....but I know it is not available here on regular basis...

John P. & fresh_mewby, yes I know some ADA lilly pipe would look good, but :
- their price, plus shipping cost to where I'm living, make these way out of my budget...
- I have two little monsters at home, and the tank is sitting in the middle of the living room so I had to make something not too bad looking, but more important had to be "kid proof", "crash proof", "pull proof", "hang proof", etc....
But I am confident they will find a way of playing with it that I have not yet imagine myself !
- then PVC became the only available option with local choice of grey or white...I choose white. Actually looks better in reallity that on the picture where it's really too bright...But not perfect I know....

mrbelvedere: for the fishes, the idea is one large school for small fishes, but choice is not made yet. I will also have to cope with the limited choice available here
Any ideas are welcome !

Sietch
Lost in the desert...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sietch31 View Post
- I have two little monsters at home, and the tank is sitting in the middle of the living room so I had to make something not too bad looking, but more important had to be "kid proof", "crash proof", "pull proof", "hang proof", etc....
But I am confident they will find a way of playing with it that I have not yet imagine myself !
Looks awesome...if I had that in my living room, it would have an electric fence around it. Probably some barbed wire too, for good measure.

Sergio C.

-
-
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sietch31 View Post
Thank you all for the kind words !

To D.Gilly, yes it is the no-light tank as you say !
But now there is light, I made a DIY fixture. I am still thinking of no-light though....

I'll give some specs:
You can see pics of construction here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...t-fixture.html
Tank is 136x59x57cms (53"x23"x22")
Light: I installed 6x55W PC lights, 6,500K with electronic ballasts. On the pictures above only 2x55W are on.
Filter is a 2028 for time being. I plan to add my 2026 on the other side when I stop my other tank (still a plant growing tank)
I do not plan for CO2, but time will tell.
I already started adding some Excel to help plant settle down.

Plants:
- A forest of Crypts ! (that's the plan)
- Echinodorus Amazonica,
- Valisneria
- Echinodorus Tenellus
- Anubias on the driftwood.

I do not plan to add more plant species (maybe some fast growing plant that I still have in my other tank to help with algae in case but only temporary)
The only one I would like to add would be a lotus on the far left end of the drifwood....but I know it is not available here on regular basis...

John P. & fresh_mewby, yes I know some ADA lilly pipe would look good, but :
- their price, plus shipping cost to where I'm living, make these way out of my budget...
- then PVC became the only available option with local choice of grey or white...I choose white. Actually looks better in reallity that on the picture where it's really too bright...But not perfect I know....

mrbelvedere: for the fishes, the idea is one large school for small fishes, but choice is not made yet. I will also have to cope with the limited choice available here
Any ideas are welcome !
Hey bud...do a search on this forum...there are some pretty sweet knock offs for cheap. You can also do them out of acrylic pipe for really cheap. You seem to be a DIY kind of dude. I can do them, so anyone can.

There are several threads, but try this to start... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...=acrylic+lilly
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I like what I see there. The swords will have room to grow in there and come out the top in time.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuRje1976 View Post
Looks awesome...if I had that in my living room, it would have an electric fence around it. Probably some barbed wire too, for good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
Hey bud...do a search on this forum...there are some pretty sweet knock offs for cheap. You can also do them out of acrylic pipe for really cheap. You seem to be a DIY kind of dude. I can do them, so anyone can.
There are several threads, but try this to start...
Thanks !
I think I know these threads the DIY section is certainly the one one I've visited the most these past months
And yes acrylic pipes are really needed there...
The point is I didn't find any acrylic (or even tranparent PVC) here...
I am actually living in the middle of the desert
So I guess I will bring some back from France at my next trip back home !

As for the "DIY kind of dude", my wife will tell you "crazy DIY'er"...
I built our own home back in france, cause I could not find one house or contractor that would match our whiches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
I like what I see there. The swords will have room to grow in there and come out the top in time.
Thanks, I even hope I could get flowers !

Sietch
Lost in the desert...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sweet tank

90 gal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode