"TRAPPED" 85 Liters mid-low tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
"TRAPPED" 85 Liters mid-low tech

Hi all Aqualovers...

I just finished my new tank. Filter, lighting and the tank istelf are DIY.

I used ADA Powersand S and ADA Amazonia as substrate. Regularly using Excell. No other ferts yet. DIY yeast CO2 it already attahced.
I also planted some HC and Glosso and some other plants that i dont know the names... Theres few Sakura and Amano shrimps are enjoying new environment. I hope they will be ok...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	157553  

Name:	aaa7.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	157561  

Name:	aaa8.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	157569  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turkish boy from Hong Kong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
More pics! I love it already!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
That is quite the light fixture you have! I like it! what are the dimmensions on that tank?

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bercey View Post
More pics! I love it already!
Thank you, I'm waiting for tha plants settle down little bit. Very soon I'll post new photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
That is quite the light fixture you have! I like it! what are the dimmensions on that tank?
I biuld that tank by myself. I found that glasses from rubbish bin It was kind of jewelery stand. They were very clean and new. 1cm thickness is very safe. I seperate all galasses and made my tank. What they called? Upcycling?

Anyway I really like DIY stuff. Actually in Hong Kong you can find everything very very cheap and good quality but I always prefer recycling and DIY. Even my external filter is DIY and working very very well and super silent.

So the dimentions are 67 x 47 x 27h (cm), full capacity is 85 liters but after soil, rocks and others, it contains about 65-70 liters of water.

Thanks you all, I'm glad!!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Enjoy the bubbles!!!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (226/100%)
very interesting diy lighting!

Nice pearling! Tank looks very healthy

-Mike

40B Dutch

Ebi's Planted Factory | Rack Build
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post

Thanks Mike!

We will understand after few week later diy LED really good or not.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post

Thanks Mike!

We will understand after few week later diy LED really good or not.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi friends...

Something happening in my tank

First of all I found some HYDRA's on the glass and some plants. I sucked them by air tube one by one. But I know its not a solution. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

By the way theres some positive things too

Glosso's are start to spready little bit. HC Cuba is not that fast yet. 3rd photo I dont know the name of this plant but somethings sticked out. Flower or seeds... I dont really know but it seems good sign. 4th photo, Mosaic plant is faced to surface finally. It will grow better now. 5th photo, you can see the little star moss colony. They seems happy emersed but wet environment. and 6th last photo my lotus is getting better color and growing new leaves. It was pretty green when I planted in the first days.

So I think my LED's working well... Tank is getting better -except hydras-

I'll share new situations...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130619_201650.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	161641  

Name:	20130619_201659.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	161649  

Name:	20130619_202118.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	161657  

Name:	20130619_202150_1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	161665  

Name:	20130619_202214.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	161673  

Name:	20130619_204036.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	161681  

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
1 gram packets of safe-guard fenbendazole in a de-chlorinated water bottle. You can buy this at your local petsmart for about $14 (i think)
  • crush the packet AS MUCH as you possible can with a roller (making the pellets even more granule)
  • fill water bottle with dechlorinated water (same way you do water changes) to 200ml. So if you have a standard 500ml water bottle, fill about half-way
  • add the crush packet into the bottle and close lid
  • SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE. no seriously, shake that fricken bottle as much as possible (i did mine for about 5 minutes) you want it to dissolve
  • use a droplet or syringe to measure out 10ml (I did 10ml for a 6 gallon tank, which is roughly about 0.1 grams of fenbendazole). The Golden rule around the internet is 0.1 gram per 10 gallons
  • turn off your filtration and then add the hyrda's poison into the tank while you cup your hands together laughing evil-ly
  • give it about 15-30 minutes with the filter off before turning it back on

This isn't an instant process but my tank was cleared of hydras overnight. I also have 1 Betta, 3 Amano's and 2 oto's in this 6 gallon and none were effected from the one treatment. It may take additional treatments and praying to the hydra gods but it will work. You can also seal and store the bottle for later if you EVER get hitchhikers again. Just make sure not to keep it next to the milk (you dont need to refrigerate, just making a joke haha)

For future reference, I know this stuff also works on Planarias too.

Last edited by Vermino; 06-19-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: forgot to put in an order list
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
1 gram packets of safe-guard fenbendazole in a de-chlorinated water bottle. You can buy this at your local petsmart for about $14 (i think)
  • crush the packet AS MUCH as you possible can with a roller (making the pellets even more granule)
  • fill water bottle with dechlorinated water (same way you do water changes) to 200ml. So if you have a standard 500ml water bottle, fill about half-way
  • add the crush packet into the bottle and close lid
  • SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE. no seriously, shake that fricken bottle as much as possible (i did mine for about 5 minutes) you want it to dissolve
  • use a droplet or syringe to measure out 10ml (I did 10ml for a 6 gallon tank, which is roughly about 0.1 grams of fenbendazole). The Golden rule around the internet is 0.1 gram per 10 gallons
  • turn off your filtration and then add the hyrda's poison into the tank while you cup your hands together laughing evil-ly
  • give it about 15-30 minutes with the filter off before turning it back on
This isn't an instant process but my tank was cleared of hydras overnight. I also have 1 Betta, 3 Amano's and 2 oto's in this 6 gallon and none were effected from the one treatment. It may take additional treatments and praying to the hydra gods but it will work. You can also seal and store the bottle for later if you EVER get hitchhikers again. Just make sure not to keep it next to the milk (you dont need to refrigerate, just making a joke haha)

For future reference, I know this stuff also works on Planarias too.
Wow thats great explanation. Thank you brother!

I always hesitate to use chemicals on aquarium. But even shrimps havent effected with this proccess I can try. So after turn your filter on? do you need to make %50 water change or using carbon for get rid of the chemicals?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I left the chemical run through the filter. I have no carbon in my media, think i did it on a Wednesday and my 20% W/C's happen on a sunday, so 4 days I let it cycle around. Even though the hydras were instantly killed within 24 hours. So it definitely seems shrimp approved (even though amano's are more hardy than others).

I would suggest dosing the tank - leaving the filter off for 30 minutes, turning it back on and then waiting 24 hours before doing a W/C of 50% if you want to be on the safe side. If you have a carbon filter, you can also use that as well to purify the water again.

I kind-of wish i got documentation with photos but my camera is crap and I used a few products before safe-guard that LPS said they would work and didnt come close. I probably had about 200+ hydras in my little 6 gallon by the time I found out about safe-guard method.

Last edited by Vermino; 06-20-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: added a bit more information
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any updates on fixing the hydras?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah I'd like an update, this tank looks awesome. I like it even better b/c it's diy

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Friends,

I will post some new photos this weekend. I got some brown dusty diatom and trying to fix that first. 4 Otocinclus and about 10 sakura shrimps added. Fishes are working well. We will see...

And Vermino, Thanks for your advice, I will try to get rid of hydras this weekend. Actually they look getting dying. Now I can see just few of them. But probably there will be some eggs or whatever regeneration things still in my tank.

Thank you all for following my tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode