This tank was sitting in my sister's garage for over a year so I decided to take it off her hands.
My original plan was to make it into a shrimp tank. I added 2 bags of Fluval Stratum for shrimp. But then I started down a different path. I made some mistakes and will probably continue to make more. I'm keeping this journal to track my progress and hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again. I'll be able to look back and laugh one day... but right now, it's been frustrating and costly.
I ignored the instructions and decided not to rinse the substrate. When the I flooded the tank, the water was black.
I tried to put plants in the tank without having a plan. I keep moving plants around. Every time the substrate was disturbed, dust clouded the water. Additionally the substrate started to crumble from all the agitation that when the substrate finally settled, an inch of fine dust covered the top of the substrate.
I left the tank full of water while planting. So when the substrate clouded the water, visibility was poor which stopped any progress. What a waste of time.
I used my python to add water to the tank. I didn't use a dish nor did I cover the substrate with plastic or newspaper. So of course all the substrate flew up and again I had a tank of black water. Additionally when the dust settled, the plant leaves were all covered in dust. What a headache trying to clean the dust off the leaves.
Adding java moss, duckweed, and riccia to the tank. Ugh. It's everywhere. I can't stick my hand into the tank without getting duckweed stuck all over my arm. The java moss is messy and sticks to all my other plants. Riccia covers my HOB intake, restricting water flow and looking messy. Trying to remove the java moss and riccia has been frustrating.
Fertilizing with Seachem Excel is fine for my other tanks but not this one. It was starting to melt my corkscrew val.
Fertilizing with chemical that contained Cu. This caused my amano shrimp to die.
Over cleaning the tank. I started to notice that I would have a death after every water change. Is it possible to take out too much beneficial bacteria? Is 50% water change every 6 days is too much?
The tank is currently home to:
2 dwarf puffer fish (Puffy and Marshmellow)
1 oto (Otto)
1 SAE (Mr. Clean)
2 Amano Shrimp
5 Celestial Pearl Danio
1 nerite snail
5 cherry shrimps hanging in a breeder box
Bruce Lee (male crowntail betta -- COD: Linda Lee killed him after mating)
Baby Blue (female betta -- COD: fungal disease contracted from platy in 29 gallon)
Linda Lee (female crowntail betta -- COD:fungal disease contracted from platy in 29 gallon)
Mr. Amano (Amano Shrimp -- COD:Excel overdose or Cu from fertilizer)
1 Celestial Pearl Danio -- unknown
Big Orange (platy -- COD: gas by CO2. She hid at the bottom of the tank since we brought her home. I think that she was already sick when we got her)
So finally the dust settled and my plants found a permanent home... for now.