20 XH Vallisineria Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 XH Vallisineria Tank

I usually don't go for tall tanks. My water, techniques and lighting preferred the Vals (and the dwarf swords) over the other 10 or so types of plants I originally planted. Since they took off in a short tank I figured I should get something tall to show them off and let them grow out. I think Vals make a really nice arrangement in a tall tank, but I haven't seen too many. Thanks for looking, hope you like it, it's a little different

20 extra-high (20x10x24), Penguin 100, 70W fluorite fixture (6700K), ecocomplete, lots of tetras and an angelfish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I love it, very different indeed. You hardly ever come across a tank like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looks really natural.. Great scape. Simple yet intriging..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm going to be setting up a val tank in a few weeks, any tips on growing them?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Vals are pretty easy to grow. no need to get a lot of them as they will quickly shoot off daughter plants that will form a whole nother Val bulb. keep them away from air bubbles or the leaves will melt. they grow fast, so you'll need to trim them weekly once they break the water line. keep in mind that Vals come in various growth patterns flat or twisted, and the wider the leaf species, the faster/longer it will grow. an interesting display would be a mix of flat and twisted Vals, coupled with a few slower growing Crinum calamistratum to add more variety to the long narrow leaf bulb plant theme.
ouranos, consider pulling your bulbs a bit more away from the side glass to give them a chance to spread leaves in all directions, get more light to outer leaves so they don't brown, and give your fish more cover options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the kind comments, there are some truly just crazy fire tanks on this forum so I humbly present my comparably minimal efforts, with a minimalist-ish setup. It sort of made itself, once planted I didn't prune for about 3 months. What you see is what I got after tossing ten different plants into a 10 gallon and torturing myself by constantly looking at, but not putting my hands into, the tank. After 4 months the setup was moved to this 20XH.

I believe the strong light I used helped, and I haven't fertilized or used CO2. It worked out for me; my goal was a low maintenance fw tank. I was so sick of daily monitoring/dosing of calcium, alk, etc. in my coral tanks, I just can't do it anymore.

So it was set up to facilitate a little contrived evolution by adding about a dozen species of plants and letting the specimens compete with each other among the selective forces of lighting temp (K), spectrum/intensity, my tapwater, temp, my negligence, etc., So big surprise after 7 months I'm left with easy to grow plants... :lol: What you see now started with 2 dwarf swords and 4 Vals, about 2-3 leaves each, the other species died off.

Seriously though, I wanted the plants to a) present with low species diversity reflecting the natural appearance of an ecological niche of only 200sq inches. b) encourage rapid and vigorous growth. Although the "water garden" look can be exquisite, I wanted this tank to represent a more natural niche. From what I've seen, freshwater habitats aren't like corals where you see 10 species in one square foot. It's more along the lines of 1-3 species at best, which is what I got (there are also floating Salvinia sp., and Riccia sp. barely visible in some of the shots.)

The approach basically left me with plants that require no care at all, grow strongly, are vigorously propagating, have grown into the substrate, around/into wood and rocks, growing to fit in with each other. Also, the theme keeps everything to one supercontinent.

Although very minimal, I think it came out kinda nice!

Thanks again for looking... !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
i simply love it. Its so simple yet so real...not like alot of the show tanks. it looks like a central american/tropical section of river that has been secluded(say an opening in a val field, or a piece of river bank or something.

I love it.

edit* i have no idea where the plants are naturally found, i was just thinking out loud.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
i simply love it. Its so simple yet so real....
thanks so much, i'm glad others find my tank pleasing.

I know the tank doesn't score points for diversity or complication, I'm happy my approach was fruitful.

Last edited by ouranos; 09-22-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode