Planted geophagus tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planted geophagus tank

The main inhabitants of this tank are Geophagus altifrons, a species in the South American eartheater group. They are not popular in planted tanks due to their substrate sifting habits - it can sometimes be a pain to keep plants where I want them. I was looking to do something a little different though, and always loved these fish, so I decided to see how far I could take the idea.

Equipment:
55g AGA tank
Sedona stand / canopy
Coralife 2x65w 6700k PC
Fluval 204 / Aquaclear 20 (soon to be replaced with a single canister)
pressurized Co2 system (10lb tank, Smith regulator, ceramic diffusion disc)

Floura:
Anubias nana
various Echinodorus
Nymphaea
various cryptocorynes
various mosses
*baby tears as an experiment to see if the geos leave it alone*

Fauna:
Geophagus altifrons
2 pair Pelvicachromis pulcher
Corydoras trilineatus
banjo catfish
bushynose catfish
whiptail catfish

I'd be very interested to hear any suggestions for plant species that may work well in this setup. Any aquascaping suggestions or comments are welcome as well - I know the large stump is a bit overpowering and I've been thinking of changing it out for several smaller pieces of wood.

Cheers!
-Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I LOVE the stump.... wouldn't change it for the world!

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gorgeous tank and gorgeous fish!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF CAF View Post
I LOVE the stump.... wouldn't change it for the world!

that stump rocks. What kind of wood is that?

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Wow, guess the stump is going to stay! It's a cypress root i picked up in Golden Gate park. The park service personell had trimmed it off one of the huge trees and left it in a pile of brush. I brought it home, stripped off the bark (what a task that was) and soaked it in a tub for a month before adding it to the tank.

I would like to get a more natural look to this tank somehow - it looks very 'Dutch' to me in these photos. Perhaps if I plant it out more heavily and find some tolerant foreground plants.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yea... I see what you mean... I agree too... some little foreground plants here and there right up next to the edges would make it seem a little more like you cut a section of the wild right out and plopped it into your tank.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That is a beautiful tank, and I love Geophagus, having had a couple many years ago. When I had them they dug up the whole substrate repeatedly, then bred. Watching them herd their fry, sucking them into their mouths when I would get too close, was fascinating. Of course I knew next to nothing about proper care of either fish or plants back then so the fish died within a year or so. And, I vote to keep the stump!

Hoppy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i love geophagus too. cheers on the beautiful tank! i had G. juripari that eventually developed HITH what species is that? they're beautiful!

15 neon tetra, 5 red phantom tetra, 11 ottocinclus, 9 cardinia japonica
AH supply lighting, Seachem and greg watson ferts, eco-complete
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:34 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL-311 View Post
Wow, guess the stump is going to stay! It's a cypress root i picked up in Golden Gate park. The park service personell had trimmed it off one of the huge trees and left it in a pile of brush. I brought it home, stripped off the bark (what a task that was) and soaked it in a tub for a month before adding it to the tank.

I would like to get a more natural look to this tank somehow - it looks very 'Dutch' to me in these photos. Perhaps if I plant it out more heavily and find some tolerant foreground plants.
exactly what I would do....more plants and a nice foreground. The stump rocks, so don't change that. The fish are great too. Nice job.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Great scape! Love the way you have the Hm in the middle of the stones.
Really digging the stump.. hmmm...
Me thinks I'll have to scout around GG for one those myself..

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Banned

You are courageous with the geophagus my friend. Tank looks good.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Now that is a fish that i have never seen before. I also believe that it is rarely heard of or even used in the planted tank community. But they are very beautiful nonetheless. And on top of that,your tank layout really complimented the kind of fish speices that they are. Only thing is,from the second pic,i noticed that the SAE was kinda small in comparison. Would it end up becoming a meal?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Zack, that is a nice looking tank. Geos in general and Altifrons specifically (yours look like Altifrons) are some of my favorite fish. I have a 180g tank with a colony of those (along with Angels, Rams, and "true" parrots) and it's by far my favorite tank. If you want some ideas for tank design, I tried to make mine very close to the riverine biotope where these may be found in South America, with very light sand, lots of wood and rocks and moss. Here is an old tank photo, it looks MUCH better now a few months later, I will take pics later on to show you.

And btw, here is what you can expect yours to look after they grow up, this is my alpha male, who is about 10" TL or more.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Wow! That is one awsome tank Paradise - any updated pictures?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

welldone ..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode