Bamboo Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Bamboo Shrimp

Took this picture this evening. Though these guys are quite common; thought I'd share. dEf

Last edited by dougiefresh; 09-18-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Nice picture. I just bought some myself, they are quite fascinating.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
Nice pic!

I bought 2 of these a month and a half ago. One turned up dead a day or so after i got them, the other is still alive and well. Only thing is it hides and is never out. He hides inside the rocks I have for my pleco.

ADA 30-C |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:40 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very fun critters.

When I used to have mine, he would go a few weeks hiding then emerge one day to bask in the filter output, interesting little fellow.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks to both!

This guy usually likes to walk around and picks up the substrate. Tonight he found the outlet from the pump and was acting like a filter shrimp. When he got close up to the lights I saw that their filter fans have color on them and are quite pretty (though hard to see in the picture).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
nice pic...he is a cutie
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love the photoshot. It is very detailed. Very beautiful as well.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
i lucked up and got one for free from petco cause the lil fella only had one eye. he is doing great and he is always changing his color from light brown to red. mines only hide a little bit cause i always see him picking the gravel and hanging on the filter. good luck with your new shrimpy.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xt0rted View Post
I bought 2 of these a month and a half ago. One turned up dead a day or so after i got them, the other is still alive and well. Only thing is it hides and is never out. He hides inside the rocks I have for my pleco.
Bamboo shrimp must be acclimated in a separate container of store/tank water very gradually over several hours, which might be why you lost one. They are very sensitive even during your weekly water changes.

The survivor is probably a male, as the females are much more day active. Whenever sexing is possible, no matter what species, I find it's best to get female shrimp if you want them to be more day active.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
my LFS had some of this a few weeks ago but i didn't pick any up for fear they would get eaten in my barb tank.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned

I have six 2" Tiger Barbs in the same 29gal tank with both a 3" Vampire and 3" Bamboo shrimp, and they all get a long just fine. Tiger Barbs are only a problem if you have one or two of them instead of a school. However, I'm sure you know your own fish, and if you feel your Barbs are too inquisitive, then maybe it's just as well you avoid getting shrimp. However others considering this compatibility pairing should not be so concerned.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
yeah i have a school of at least 5 or 6 now, and with the ferocity that they go after my feeder shrimp, i don't want to drop $10 for each bamboo shrimp i buy to have it end up in pieces in a few minutes.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Great pic Dougie! It looks like a female.

I have 5 of these shrimp--1 male and 4 females. One of my females ia carrying eggs, and I will be attempting to raise the zoes.

If the shrimp is/are scraping the substrate, then it's time to start supplementing their diet. I simply use finely crushed spirulina flakes and finely crushed fish flakes in the water current.

Here are a few pics of my shrimp:

This is the male:

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ARB, Nice pictures. Thanks for sexing her and the tip on the food. She has been scraping the bottom some and was wondering what to feed them. Is spirulina a type of algae? Right now I only have one and enjoyed her uniqueness.

Cool name by the way.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

here's a feeding trick you can try;

wrap your canister return in a sponge filter. bamboo shrimp like picking bits off, climbing around it, and the water-flow, and they don't have to compete there with other bottom feeders you may have.

I find it hard to target feed my filter shrimp as they are not often fanning the current. when I do catch them, I take a plastic 1oz medicine dropper you can get at any drug store, and fill it with tank water and a bit of Cyclop-eeze, which are whole freeze dried zoopankton from Argent. I then squeeze the dropper out a few inches from the shrimp fans. only problem with that, is my other fish soon go nuts over this stuff, and compete with the shrimp for it.

Anne, remember to share pictures with us once the shrimp fry are large enough to have mini fans of their own

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode