danepatrick's 2.5 gallon - REBIRTH 12/30/06 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
danepatrick's 2.5 gallon - REBIRTH 12/30/06

well, it's been set up for a couple of days. i recieved the moss yesterday. so as of today, here we are. i plan to keep shrimp and snails in here. i don't know much about keeping a nano, so any advice as far as ferts go, would be greatly appreciated.
specs are:
2.5 gallons
11 watt pc
eco complete substrate.
glosso
marsilea
weeping moss

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danepatrick; 12-31-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
It looks like you are off to a good start. I would recommend getting some stem plants in there until the other stuff fills out more. As far as ferts go, I only dose a small amount of flourish(just under 1ml/week) and a bit of potassium in my 2.5. The shimp and snails provide enough of everything else.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i figured the little critters would supply enough "goods", lol, for the tank. should i do weekly 50% wc's like on my big tank? someone gave me the idea to refil/top off my tank with water from my big tank. is that a good idea?

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so i was thinking about adding co2 to this tank. should i go the excel way, since i'll only be dosing a tiny bit of it? if so, then how much would i put, and how often?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

bump......

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 04:40 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
A nano this small I would dose excel. You should put some stems in there though before you get alae issues. The dosing is on the bottle.
I wouldn't do 50% every week unless you supplement some dry ferts. Maybe 2 weeks or 30% weekly.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If i were you... i would take that massive thermometer out, and change that black line on the rocks to clear fishing line, because its gonan be a long time till the moss covers those rocks, good luck!

90 gal.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
i dose seachem products on my little nano since it barely takes anything to dose.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

fresh_newby - thanks for the advice. i was thinking about supplementing w/ some dry ferts if the readings were not where they should be. i added a betta last night and will add MTS to the tank.

sNApple - haha. i can respect that. i really don't care about the looks of the tank right now, as i'm just trying to LEARN and get things to grow well. once i do THAT, then i'll pay more attention to the 'scaping end.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i've been waiting to start a nano for a while now until i have time to set it up and get it looking decent, so this thread is making me a little anxious to get cracking.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

alright, update on the little guy.
so i can defenately see the growth with the moss. the glosso and marsilea, not so much. oh well. i'll try it in the future. i don't think i added big enough pieces of either to "take". when my stem plants get longer in the big tank, i might trim a few to add to this one. til then, i'm having NO algae problems. i think i'm getting enough ferts from dosing once a week and from the only inhabitant, my betta. i tested kno3 sometime after dosing on a monday, and i still had like 10 ppm. i didn't even bother testing for phosphate.

but i want to ask about using excel. i'm not good at math, so if someone can suggest to me how much to add to this tank daily, it would be GREATLY appreciated. i know it's 5ml/50 gallons after the initial dose, so that would mean 1ml/10 gallons. my math stops there.

FULL TANK SHOT

PREEEEEETTTTY BETTA

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
I would dose .25 ml of excel daily or 4 gtts (drops) with an eye dropper.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

alright, so my 2.5 has been "born again". hairgrass, hc, and baby tears. we'll see how this works out. a little bit of diatoms but i'm sure it will clear up fine. 2 drops of excel everyday with minor miniscule pinches of know, and po4 once or twice a week.

i'm going to change my filter and take another photo in a couple of days. wish me luck as i've never had it with this little thing.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

will the 4 drops of excel everyday do harm to cherry shrimp?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
What is the stem plant? Hygrophila perhaps? Good start to a nano!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode